8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No, not what you think. I still have my SI.:dance:

Tonight, I am officially a student of Athabasca University! After 3 years of procrastinating and finding reasons not to, I finally pulled the trigger and registered in the 4-yr BSc program, major in Human Sciences.

I went to Sir Sandford Fleming College in Peterborough straight out of highschool, and did the two-year Police Foundations program. After finishing when I was 21, I've spent the last 5 years kicking myself because as I got older and more exposed to the true things in life that interest me, I lost that drive to become a police officer. While the PF program was great, it is truly the biggest waste of time if you don't actually become a police officer. It applied to virtually nothing else, other than jobs that require a post-secondary education.

I've been very lucky in my chosen career path of professional business-to-business sales and account management, being that I am one of the youngest people in my field and I should very well have a business degree to do what I do. But like I said, I've gotten lucky twice; once by the first company to hire me out of retail to take a chance on someone with no business education and train them from the ground up, and secondly by having a friend who works for my current company who got me an interview for territory sales manager.

A career that has captivated my interest for years now is that of a Pharma rep. Yep, that's right - a legal drug pusher haha. But of course, you need lots of PROVEN professional sales experience (which I have now + over the next 4 years) along with a degree, preferably in a science background. Hence my choice of the Human Sciences major. Also taking into account the potential for growth within a huge company like that of a big pharma, I pulled the trigger and registered. I also have a background in science, as I was a licenced EMT-A in alberta right after college, and have continued volunteering as a medic with St. John Ambulance on a regualr basis over the last few years since moving home from alberta.

I'll be doing the entire degree via distance learning other than the supervised lab components which I need to do @ McMaster University, along with exams @ Mac.

So for the next 4 years, I'll be busting my ass at work doing all I can to grow my accounts and keep getting promoted, go to school full time, keep the wife happy (who is doing her CIP right now too), take care of the house, still see family, and hang out with you ****'s every once in a while. So who is starting the pool for which day Chris tweaks out and snaps?

Anyways, that's my little update. *billy madison voice* back to schooool, back to schoool...

·
Registered
808 Posts
good luck! school is always nice to have just in case, and it will probably help you get a lot farther than without it. congrats and good luck again!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Congrats Chris. Glad to hear you are taking on something worthwhile. I think a lot of us forget that in this society, just because you have a job does not mean you stop learning.

Something I was told when I left University and it is so true. I'm ever so proud of you my white, egotistical friend. Ever so proud.

P.S. - You never replied back about your hytech header you bastard. Now your keeping the Si??? Die in a fire.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Congrats Chris. Glad to hear you are taking on something worthwhile. I think a lot of us forget that in this society, just because you have a job does not mean you stop learning.

Something I was told when I left University and it is so true. I'm ever so proud of you my white, egotistical friend. Ever so proud.
Yah in this day and age, with all you people and your predispostion to academics, I figured I needed to step up my game if I want to compete out there...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yah in this day and age, with all you brown people and asians and your predispostion to academics, I figured I needed to step up my game if I want to compete out there...
As long as we don't take over in government Canada is safe. Otherwise we are in trouble!!! LOL

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
i often think of taking a business management course or two...

My career path is leading directly to store management. not a bad gig. but not easy to get from my current position. perhaps not at out current location because our manager is the best that anyone can ask for. but in the near future when they open a new store....

its a very large multi billion $ a year company and lots of room for growth.

like you i have hit one lucky break after another. getting to where i am today was like a game of leapfrog. leaping from one location at the perfect time to land at another. More like a well orcastrated game. but I'd rather be chosen for a position rather then apply. if you know what i mean....

I coagulate you on your choice. the road ahead will be HARD.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
LOL I took Police Foundations too and you're right.... Unless you are fortunate enough to get a career in Policing or Security, its useless.

My wife is taking courses through Athabasca and she has no complaints.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
Congratulations. :clapping: Everyone who has the means to attend college/university SHOULD, imo.

but lol @ the name of the university. :giggle:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i often think of taking a business management course or two...

My career path is leading directly to store management. not a bad gig. but not easy to get from my current position. perhaps not at out current location because our manager is the best that anyone can ask for. but in the near future when they open a new store....

its a very large multi billion $ a year company and lots of room for growth.

like you i have hit one lucky break after another. getting to where i am today was like a game of leapfrog. leaping from one location at the perfect time to land at another. More like a well orcastrated game. but I'd rather be chosen for a position rather then apply. if you know what i mean....

I coagulate you on your choice. the road ahead will be HARD.

That's bs Bart. You and Mike are natural Engineers. Should do your B.a.Sc. so I have someone to talk too about all my nerdy stuff. lol. Seriously though, the industry needs more guys like you two and less formula whores.

·
Registered
712 Posts
That's bs Bart. You and Mike are natural Engineers. Should do your B.a.Sc. so I have someone to talk too about all my nerdy stuff. lol. Seriously though, the industry needs more guys like you two and less formula whores.
I agree Bart and mike do a B.a.Sc. you wont regret it...and congrats chris! im looking into that same university for some additional Engineering Courses to go with the Engineering degree and business marketing degree i have now.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Yea there are a lot of jobs right now for civil. I'm Mechanical.

You know what they say though:

Mechanical Engineers build weapons. Civil Engineers build targets. :biggrin:
hahaha very true, but once your weapons destroy my targets i get paid to rebuild the target so i think i win.

Also who do you work for?

·
Registered
830 Posts
congrats man.. im still debating if i want to go back to school.. it's an extremely hard decision to do

could you give me some pointers as well.. im at the crossroad right now too

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
congrats man.. im still debating if i want to go back to school.. it's an extremely hard decision to do

could you give me some pointers as well.. im at the crossroad right now too
I'm not much of a motivational speaker but I'll give it a shot...

Stop being a vag, sack up and f*cking do it.

How did I do? Haha, but in all seriousness there are a lot of things you could do right now that looking back in 4-5 years, you could say to yourself 'well that was a waste of f*cking time'; I highly doubt enrolling in university will fall under that category when you look back.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts