8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When driving around 50+ my car make a humming noise. I think it coming from the wheels. I looked at my tires and there is not a lot of thread left. Could this be the reason for the noise? Or could it have something to do with the discs idk? anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Automatic, doesn't have tow hitch so don't think so. what could be causing this?
none of our cars come with a hitch , you would have to add one..( not suggested), but he was asking if you tow with it some people do. your noise is prob just tire noise , warped brakes would give you a pulsation, tire noise can come from wear , alighnment , balance Ect..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bearings

:think: Jack up your car one tire at a time, and spin the tire and listen. If it sound rough your probably have a wheel bearing going out or a driveshaft going bad. You can also shake the tire from side to side, and if there is alot of play it may also be a bearing, but not necessarily make the rough/grinding noise. Be sure to have the car in neutral when you check the front (FWD), but be sure you chock a tire on the ground (not to insult your intelligence :D) Check those bearings, and while you have it jacked up would be a good time to take the tires off and check the brakes.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back, it's your wheel bearings, There was a recall on the rubber o-ring seals of I believe the ABS sensors, because they are too loose and allow moisture to get in and mix with the lube on the bearings and for some reason it causes that noise. That,s what the Honda guy told me anyway, and they fixed it in an hour.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well I was hearing the noise when driving 45mph+. It should be your wheel bearings, was for me, and Honda will fix it for free even if your warranty is up because it's a recall on the way the o-rings for the ABS sensors were installed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
wheel bearings

yes, i think i have the same problem too. but my car has 104K on the clock. wondering if they would still do the work under recall and not charge me the 500 a wheel like they quoted. i think thats a bit much.

anyone know how hard it is to get the hubs off and taken to a shop?
also, how much are new wheel bearings? part numbers? all that good stuff.

i just spent 400 on new tires thinking it was tire wear. imagine my displeasure at still hearing the noise when i pulled out of the tire place. boooo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.