8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

2006 Si. Just today I noticed a steady drip of water coming from underneath the dash in the passenger footwell. I did some research on here, and figured it could have been a clogged AC drain hose, but the hose appears to be clear and condensation is still dripping through it at a normal rate. Additionally, the drip appears to be coming from the evaporator box itself in the left front corner of the passenger footwell, not the drain hose. AC seems to be working fine. Is this going to be a evaporator replacement or is there another solution? Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd a similar problem and the culprit was a blocked drain hose. Although it appears clean from outside try running a thin metal cable through the drain hose to remove any possible blocks.

The other reason could be that the connection to the drain hose near the evaporator could've disconnected. Checking this could help solve your problem.

I dont think you need to replace the evaporator since the AC cools fine.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd a similar problem and the culprit was a blocked drain hose. Although it appears clean from outside try running a thin metal cable through the drain hose to remove any possible blocks.

The other reason could be that the connection to the drain hose near the evaporator could've disconnected. Checking this could help solve your problem.

I dont think you need to replace the evaporator since the AC cools fine.

I just confirmed that the drain hose was indeed clear. I disconnected the drain hose and just had a cup underneath the evaporator itself to catch the condensation and sure enough additional condensation was leaking off the side of the evaporator.

Perhaps there's a partial blockage in the evaporator itself and it's filling up? Not sure. It doesn't seem to be backing up, and lots of condensation flows freely out of the bottom of the evaporator. It seems more like a crack in the evaporator but I can't trace the leak.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just confirmed that the drain hose was indeed clear. I disconnected the drain hose and just had a cup underneath the evaporator itself to catch the condensation and sure enough additional condensation was leaking off the side of the evaporator.

Perhaps there's a partial blockage in the evaporator itself and it's filling up? Not sure. It doesn't seem to be backing up, and lots of condensation flows freely out of the bottom of the evaporator. It seems more like a crack in the evaporator but I can't trace the leak.
If the evaporator is partially blocked, then there would be no condensation on the blocked area and this would be clearly visible. And moreover the AC wouldn't be cooling as much as it should. So if your cooling is well then the evaporator should be fine.

Is the drain pipe from the evaporator properly connected? Did you check for any leaks near the evaporator?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If the evaporator is partially blocked, then there would be no condensation on the blocked area and this would be clearly visible. And moreover the AC wouldn't be cooling as much as it should. So if your cooling is well then the evaporator should be fine.

Is the drain pipe from the evaporator properly connected? Did you check for any leaks near the evaporator?

The drain pipe is unobstructed and attached. The leak is coming from this plate-like plastic piece above the evaporator drain and below the glovebox.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mileage? if at worst, it could be the Heater Core that cracked and you have to remove the entire dash to replace.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, i'm not that familiar with the Heater Core in this car. What i would do is get a clean paper towel and soak up the "Water" and see if its blue. if it's clear, then its not the coolant.

To really find out what's wrong, you might have to either remove some panels, or remove the whole dash which is a hassle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's just condensation, not coolant. It only occurs when the AC is running and there is a substantial amount of condensation dripping out from underneath the car. Unrelated to rain as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The drain pipe is unobstructed and attached. The leak is coming from this plate-like plastic piece above the evaporator drain and below the glovebox.
Would you be able to mark the area of the suspected condensation in the photo please?

From what you mentioned, I feel that the cold air from the condensor is leaking maybe because of a cracked panel and then condensing outside the box. Maybe the best way to get a confirmation would be to remove the dash panel and have a closer look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all,

I sealed the area around the panel with rubber sealant, and that seems to have done the trick. From what I can tell, that plastic piece on the evaporator cover slightly warped and no longer seals, allowing some condensation through. We'll see how long my caulk job lasts, but for now no leaks.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey all,

I sealed the area around the panel with rubber sealant, and that seems to have done the trick. From what I can tell, that plastic piece on the evaporator cover slightly warped and no longer seals, allowing some condensation through. We'll see how long my caulk job lasts, but for now no leaks.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Good that the problem has been solved. The rubber sealant should hold as it is in a cool area out of direct sunlight but if it doesn't use a head gasket silicone sealant and it'll hold even under hot conditions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts