8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How should I go about cleaning them? I tried to bang them against a tree and it seemed like there was SOOOOO much sand coming out and my arms got tired before I finished one of them! I took that one inside and washed it in my shower til the water running off of it was clean. Then I set it in my garage to dry overnight. The next day it wasnt dry completely so I left it there. The next day (today) it was dry so I put it in the car. An hour later I left and my car smelled musty. The garage didnt smell but now my car does! Would it hurt to wash them and throw them in the dryer? How about running them in the washing machine on the gentle cycle?

I thought vacuuming was enough and they looked clean but they still had sand in them!!

BTW, these are stock Si mats. Idk if the other cars get different mats so I wanna make sure you guys know what Im working with lol

Thanks,
Frankie

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
take to nearest local car wash with the high powered vaccuums... vaccuum.

rent/buy/own a little green clean machine by bissel.

basically a hand held steam cleaner.

clean mats.

use high powered fan to dry the remainder.

or, be smart enough to spend the $100 on all-season mats to use for every day other than a show.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The stock SI mats are overpriced crap. You really should consider switching over to the all weather mats. Even if you were to get the mats totally clean you'd probably wear a hole through them eventually.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have access to a pressurewasher @ work and some chemical called Red thunder...

1 Wet the mat
2 Spray redthunder all over mat
3 scrub vigorously, especially where its discolored
4 pressure wash in laps and go kind of slow until water spraying off side is clean looking
5 toss in sun

could spray an febreze or something on yours

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They had alot of sand in them cuz I used to live on a dirt road. I vacuumed them, scrubbed them and wash them with a pressure washer at the car wash and after they dried there is still sand coming out of them!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.