8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to add a few things. First seeing as I have a background in DSM's I want to point out that the crankwalk issue on 2nd generation 95-97'ish model years was NEVER 100% defined to one product. Stock cars were just as vulnerable as modified. With that said a heavy weight clamping pressure plate didn't seem to help, although some blame was theorized to stem from non-dampened crank pulley's as well - which I saw first hand on 1st generation DSM's. (which is why I still won't run a non-dampened crank pulley)

The above note is not the only reason for this post. Back in the mid 2000's, ACT's quality control apparently fell off the face of the earth. We in the DSM community, all of a sudden saw LOT"s of ACT sprung clutch discs and pressue plates completely fail. ACT seemed to blame this on improper installation/break in, which maybe in a few cases that was the issue. BUT there was without question a LARGE issue with ACT products. And I don't believe they made good with the community after that. Here is a link to the Thread

Did your ACT clutch fail on you? If so, post here - DSM Forums

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
FYI, this thread is #1 AND #2 for people searching for "act hd extreme pressure plate"

Hopefully they search google and see the results.

Pianoman, extremely heavy pressure plates are never a good thing. There's a slightly higher clamp load... and then 100 miles down the road is the act hd extreme pressure plate.

Sure crank walk on DSM's was prevalent, but there is NO coincidence that ACT products were most popular with you guys. Perhaps the thrust bearing was overly sensitive to heavy plates.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Anyone know how much clamping force that PP has?

I have the most experience with Competition Clutch PP's that are 17,000lb. No issues on those.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Exedy FTW!

My drift car has a ACT clutch tho... uh oh.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
This car has internal balance shafts on the oil pump and a factory balanced crank.

The "dampener" on the stock pulley is a 5mm piece of rubber that doesn't do ****.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
crank walk will become apparent to you pretty fast.

1.) when pushing clutch in to start the car, it might bog down the starter immensely and not start. Likewise if you jumper the clutch safety switch and crank it without pressing the clutch, it turns right over
2.) when going around a hard right hand turn, your clutch might start slipping
3.) car bogs power hard when pressing the clutch while engine is running, or even stalls out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I wanna know is if that crank walk is repairable or just buy a new motor because I was informed that i just experienced this problem and I had a ACT 6 puck clutch on my 07 civic Si and SUPPOSIBLY my motor is blown, so someone please help!

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Basically, you'd need to buy a new or used bottom end... because it's not repairable without a new crank, new crank bearings.. and it will probably have destroyed the large main bearings at each end of the motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So do you think the head might have any serious damage to it because my mechanic said my cam shaft was grinding against the brackets that hold down the head to the rest of the motor and that's why it was making a clanking noise from the head

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did this car have an undampened crank pulley installed at the time when crank walked?
the car had the factory balance shafts and stock crank pulley, and as woot mentioned, 2 months prior to the motor having complete meltdown the car would shut off during idle if the clutch pedal was depressed.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Anyone know how much clamping force that PP has?

I have the most experience with Competition Clutch PP's that are 17,000lb. No issues on those.
No clue. I tried to find that information but could not.

All i know is they list that the xtreme pressure plates have 120% more clamp load than stock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dont know what you guys are on i have run act clutches in my 310hp 620ftpound of torque at the wheels honda zc turbo and never had a problem?? are you using old stock standard engines or somthing to be having these problems?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
i dont know what you guys are on i have run act clutches in my 310hp 620ftpound of torque at the wheels honda zc turbo and never had a problem?? are you using old stock standard engines or somthing to be having these problems?
WTF, those are some cummins turbo diesel numbers. go away troll.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts