8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just finished getting a set of new nitto 555r drag radials last week and was wondering what was the best way to warm these up before a race. I tried a couple of days ago and failed miserably, this is exactly what I did.

1. Lowered the tire pressure to ~24psi
2. Went to an abandoned road
3. Wet the road with about 2 gal of water
4. Placed my front tires on top of wet floor
5. E brake up
6. put car in 1st and revved to about 3.5k
7. dropped the clutch

I was expecting the wheels to spin while I kept giving it gas but instead after about 1 sec the car started moving forward. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
you need to rev to about 5,000 rpm's then dump clutch. that will help a little bit. or you could just start in second gear and you will really heat them up since they are spinning alot faster. but thats how i ate through my factory clutch.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The second gear thing would mess with things more if he hits a dry spot and grabs suddenly.
yeah that actually happened to me. last year i was at the track and it was about 31 degrees out. they stopped putting water down in the burnout box cause it was just turning to ice. i wasnt aware and it still looked like water to me. i went to do my burnout and the car immediately filled up with the lovely smell of burnt clutch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips and I forgot to mention that my car is completly stock with the exception of these drag radials (if that counts as anything) so would the proccess mentioned above still work?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
it may. but ive noticed that with drag radials i cannot do a long burnout with the car moving forward. they are much stickier than any other tire you will put on the car. and just as a note, i am able to get 2.0 60fts. with relatively short burnouts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd say just a quick burnout til it grabs. I would worry more about the launch especially since the car is still stock. You don't have enough torque to smolder these tires on a launch. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By quick burnout til it grabs do you mean less than 2 seconds because when I first tried it the tires grabbed right away and the car started moving. When this happened my first thought was oh crap i forgot to put up the e brake but then all of a sudden the car started beeping letting me know that i was driving with the ebrake up.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
start anywhere from 4500-5400 rpm , don't just pull the e-brake and let go, pull it up and hold it up while having your hand on the botton. If you still can't do i burn out then you might want to tighten up your e-brake ( that is if it's not electronic i have no idea with these cars). And then if that doesn't work you might have to add weight to the back of the car. Or pop your trunk and have a few friends hold your car. GL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Talking about adjusting the ebrake usually i never have it pulled up all the way when i park my car however the other day i was parked on about a 2-3 degree incline with the parking brake up 3-4clicks went into the store and when i got back my car was out in the middle of the road. Luckily it didnt roll into anything. Perhaps i need to adjust my ebrake for it to really grab.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the tips and I forgot to mention that my car is completly stock with the exception of these drag radials (if that counts as anything) so would the proccess mentioned above still work?
Stock would make you have to rev higher to dump the clutch to really get them spinning. They will grab soon with stock torque.

I say try launching without a burnout. Just spin them a bit to get any grit and junk they have picked up off and see how they grab.

·
Registered
390 Posts
when u guys launch do you just rev it up to 5000 and let go does it grab and go just wondering because Im thinking of buying a pair

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Talking about adjusting the ebrake usually i never have it pulled up all the way when i park my car however the other day i was parked on about a 2-3 degree incline with the parking brake up 3-4clicks went into the store and when i got back my car was out in the middle of the road. Luckily it didnt roll into anything. Perhaps i need to adjust my ebrake for it to really grab.
You don't need to adjust anything. 3-4 clicks is barely enough to do anything.

Just pull it up higher...

3-4 clicks is not enough to hold it, adjusted or not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Probably should park the car in gear when on an incline too. 1st if you are worried about rolling backward and reverse you might roll forward.

Also can cut your wheel so that you will just roll against the curb or whatever too. These are just a couple ideas for extra protection.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
just rev the hell out of it and drop it to make sure itll spin. bc revving higher wont hurt anything, just help it break lose. It should break lose on dry surface at a high launch. but water will be a safer route

1 - 20 of 22 Posts