8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know where I can purchase a Factory painted bumper cover. Is it possible? Can I order one from Honda direct?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
From my experience in replacing my front bumper just a few months back, I was told that although they were ordering the part directly from Honda, there was no option to have it painted beforehand. It had to be done at any body shop.

This is probably a good thing anyway. No one wants to have the paint scratched in transit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jasonandre said:
From my experience in replacing my front bumper just a few months back, I was told that although they were ordering the part directly from Honda, there was no option to have it painted beforehand. It had to be done at any body shop.

This is probably a good thing anyway. No one wants to have the paint scratched in transit.
The thing is, upon returning the car, don't most dealerships check the paint thickness? Then they see it's not industry standard and penalize you for it. Is there a way to get it painted to industry standard?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
The thing is, upon returning the car, don't most dealerships check the paint thickness? Then they see it's not industry standard and penalize you for it. Is there a way to get it painted to industry standard?
So I take it you're leasing your car? I'm sure any Honda dealership can give you the correct 'industry standard' thickness, but I would imagine that you'd have a good legal basis to argue any dispute if the dealership says "something has been repainted, so you're being charged". They'd charge you if you didn't fix it, so that's BS.

Aaaand, I'm going off on a tangent again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jasonandre said:
So I take it you're leasing your car? I'm sure any Honda dealership can give you the correct 'industry standard' thickness, but I would imagine that you'd have a good legal basis to argue any dispute if the dealership says "something has been repainted, so you're being charged". They'd charge you if you didn't fix it, so that's BS.

Aaaand, I'm going off on a tangent again.
Not lease, but maybe trade it in later down the road.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
Not lease, but maybe trade it in later down the road.
Well again, from experience, I've had the back bumper of my '00 Accord replaced and repainted before. When I traded it in for my Civic, no one ever questioned it. They're looking at the whole car's condition in general.

Now if you lie to them and say it wasn't wrecked or something wasn't replaced, and then they do a paint thickness test to see, then that might be an issue. But on a car that's over 5 years old with multiple owners, they couldn't possibly hold that against you.

But you're asking if and where you can buy an industry standard painted part, and for that I will refer you to Honda themselves. Maybe someone else will stop by and chime in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
There is a way to buy a factory painted bumper? where can i get one? my front bumper is so caked in chips its ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
06CivEXJon said:
There is a way to buy a factory painted bumper? where can i get one? my front bumper is so caked in chips its ridiculous.

That's what I'm trying to find out. Anyone know who to contact for this information?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know there's a guy on ebay selling OEM rear bumper covers but i'm looking for the whole factory work. Is there a way we can call the Civic plant or something. Maybe customer service can set something up with us?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,565 Posts
The bumper is not available prepainted. If you purchase a replacement, you have to pay to have it painted which will cost more than the part itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blueroadster said:
The bumper is not available prepainted. If you purchase a replacement, you have to pay to have it painted which will cost more than the part itself.

There's a seller on Ebay that sells OEM rear bumpers and paints them according to the color code of your car. He charges $540.00 shipped. I'm thinking of doing this. My only concern is how he paints it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
The thing is, upon returning the car, don't most dealerships check the paint thickness? Then they see it's not industry standard and penalize you for it. Is there a way to get it painted to industry standard?
repainted front end + clear bra on the front end = bypassing paint meter

as for the rear... you're on your own :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
radiocontrolhead said:
There's a seller on Ebay that sells OEM rear bumpers and paints them according to the color code of your car. He charges $540.00 shipped. I'm thinking of doing this. My only concern is how he paints it.

for that much money you can buy an oem rear bumper at the dealer and take it to a local shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
bumper woes

radiocontrolhead said:
There's a seller on Ebay that sells OEM rear bumpers and paints them according to the color code of your car. He charges $540.00 shipped. I'm thinking of doing this. My only concern is how he paints it.
You might not want to do that depending on what color your car is. Any car with a metallic color is much harder to match, and the paint color varies (ever so slightly) from region to region and even the day the job was done.

1. if you get the job done at a body shop and you're not thrilled about the match-up, you can have it re-done, or refuse it outright.
2. Honda never ever sells pre-painted parts. Honda dealerships themselves don't do the painting. They send it to a body shop they are affiliated with and send them their parts and their paint.
3. I've never ordered such a big part from ebay, but if you still want to take that option, make sure the guy selling it to you will take it back if you're not satisfied AND will pay the shiping for your return.

Good luck. I myself am about to have my bumper replaced and painted. I have a difficult color, so I'm hoping all goes well as well. I'm going through the dealersihp and dealing with their affiliated body shop, so if there are any problems, I'll be dealing with the same people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ange61 said:
You might not want to do that depending on what color your car is. Any car with a metallic color is much harder to match, and the paint color varies (ever so slightly) from region to region and even the day the job was done.

1. if you get the job done at a body shop and you're not thrilled about the match-up, you can have it re-done, or refuse it outright.
2. Honda never ever sells pre-painted parts. Honda dealerships themselves don't do the painting. They send it to a body shop they are affiliated with and send them their parts and their paint.
3. I've never ordered such a big part from ebay, but if you still want to take that option, make sure the guy selling it to you will take it back if you're not satisfied AND will pay the shiping for your return.

Good luck. I myself am about to have my bumper replaced and painted. I have a difficult color, so I'm hoping all goes well as well. I'm going through the dealersihp and dealing with their affiliated body shop, so if there are any problems, I'll be dealing with the same people.
It's the color code that determines the color. I don't see how hard it is to punch the color code into the computer and have it mix up the paint for you.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top