8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen so many posts on the forum about people wanting to add video to the 8thgen navigation system, well its not as easy as everyone thinks....

After looking at the new navigation system for the 8thgen and talking to my friends at Alpine, this new navigation system is a self contained system. In other words the Navigation computer, monitor, and CD player is all built into the double din unit. There is no external navigation computer.

What does this mean? Well most of the OEM video interface adaptors work off the RGB signal being sent from the Navigation computer (usually located in the trunk or under a seat) to the screen. Now that everything is in 1 double din unit it makes it almost impossible to tap into the RGB wires, unless you open the unit and figure it out, and who wants to do that?

So what can we do? I was told by my buddies at Alpine that this same unit is used in the new 06 CRV which has a rear view camera. Well the only thing I can think of is tapping into the rear view camera input and trick the nav system into thinking the car is in reverse. But, there's a catch. The nav screen may display a caution message at the bottom or top of the screen everytime the car is put in reverse, something like: "Check surroundings for safety".

So either we go aftermarket, or live with the reverse caution message, or wait for some adaptor to pop up that will tap into it or something.

So now Im stuck, I dont weather to get the OEM navigation system or go aftermarket. Well I guess I still have a month to decide. Hope this helps anyone interested in the new 8thgen nav system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
how easy would it be too put a aftermarket navigation system into a Base SI without the navigation??? Isn't the headunit still all together?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I think Im gonna go with aftermarket. I'll get the DX dash piece and I heard Alpine is coming out with some good stuff next year that will be going in my car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think we just have to wait for something come out
I believe our Navi is similar to those on some GM's, like the Denali's
I saw some on navtv.com, the only problem is.....
we might need to send the unit to them
I donno
we will see ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts