8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm posting this because I was one of many people who complain about the way this car shifts. Maybe it was just our cars, maybe it was us- either way, I have a fix that *many of us may already know about* but I'm here to tell you *my personal experience*.

So I had this trouble getting into 2nd for some time on hard pulls and when I was going all the way up to the redline. Other gears also began to get notchy (car is at 20k miles). It was very discouraging to my shifting confidence.

I thought to myself, a short shifter (SS) of some short might just be what I need! So I bought the Comptech SS Adapter and it didn't help me at all! In fact the problem seemed to get worse....a notchy 3rd gear (after the 3rd gear set and shift forks being replaced too) and a 2nd that was just so rough to get in on hard pulls. (I'm not blaming or bashing the Comptech SS, in fact it produced a great reduction in shift throw)

I sold the Comptech a few days later on here and I went back to stock. I had the same problem. I didn't enjoy driving as much as I should've been! So here's where I fixed those problems.

First, I changed the Honda Manual Transmission Fluid to Amsoil Synthetic Syncromesh. WOW what a difference, every gear was smooth as hell and I was loving the way the car shifted. It went from a feeling of shifting with a piece of sandpaper on either side of the stick to a stick of butter on either side. You can order it here: AMSOIL - Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) and you will need to buy 2 qts. since the car takes 1.6 qts (at least on my 07 Si Coupe). This costs $32 total for the 2 qts.

I was very satisfied but I knew I wanted a shorter shift now. So I bought the Mugen Quick Shifter and things got even better. That stick of butter on either side now felt like warm melting butter it's just so smooth. My confidence is way higher now and that in turn also helps me to shift much better. I don't miss 2nd on any hard pulls now and every gear goes in so smoothly (in both cold and warm conditions). In order to get this Mugen QS without owning a Mugen you will need some help so PM me, thankfully, others have helped me to get mine. It goes for $206 total.

These 2 combined are SO worth it for the car, and I bet if you already have some other short shift adapter (even that Comptech) just changing the MTF would help you so much...although I doubt any adapter will work as well as the full Mugen setup according to my personal experience and to the opinions of others who've tried both SS Adapters and the Mugen QS.

Well I hope this helps some of you guys because it's a terrible thing when you can't drive this fun car the way you want to. Just PM me if you want to know anything else and once again, I know this has all been stated but this is my own personal experience with this MTF change+Mugen bolt on modification.

PS- No...none of the SS Adapters will fit on the Mugen QS...if you install it, you will understand like those that did, there is no where near enough room.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That's great to hear! I switched to Amsoil at around 1000 and it makes a big difference, however, I still tend to hit a wall of some sort and find it difficult to get into 2nd when I'm redlining first or try to do it quickly.

Can't wait till I order the Mugen QS!

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
congrats on solving your problem:thumb:

there are numerous people on here that have the 2nd high rpm grind/lockout, but not everyone's problem are from the same cause. some people have it because of their synchros going bad, some because of ss or bad mtf, and some because of the clutch not disengaging correctly.

i have motor mounts+amsoil mtf and i still have the same problem. in my case, its either the clutch not disengaging correctly or the synchros going bad. i will find out for sure in 2-3 days as my transmission is being taking apart and putting back together.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thanks for your solution I will try this... But if my syncros or gears go bad again(Honda replaced 1-3 for me) will it throw out my chances of having it fixed by them again, Im having that 2nd gear notchy, banbang feeling going into it as well as 5th gear

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your solution I will try this... But if my syncros or gears go bad again(Honda replaced 1-3 for me) will it throw out my chances of having it fixed by them again, Im having that 2nd gear notchy, banbang feeling going into it as well as 5th gear
have THEM do the MTF change for you and then they cannot complain...don't let them see the Mugen QS incase you have problems in the future all you have to do is switch it back to stock it only takes like 40 minutes to do! :) They may not even care about the Mugen but it depends on the dealership, I wouldn't take the chance cause it's easy for them to blame that on a future issue.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey, i was wondering if changing the synchros (R18) is expensive and a big job to do .. worrying that at about 100 000 kms I will have to change mine ..
Changing the synchros is a fairly decent job and will cost you some money....if you have a real issue with a synchro though i will tell you that it will definitely only get worse and may cause other problems as you will tend to miss gears and grind more often.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
congrats on solving your problem:thumb:

there are numerous people on here that have the 2nd high rpm grind/lockout, but not everyone's problem are from the same cause. some people have it because of their synchros going bad, some because of ss or bad mtf, and some because of the clutch not disengaging correctly.

i have motor mounts+amsoil mtf and i still have the same problem. in my case, its either the clutch not disengaging correctly or the synchros going bad. i will find out for sure in 2-3 days as my transmission is being taking apart and putting back together.
Thanks and I hope u figure it out...It's definitely very frustrating but I'd like to know what the issue was when you find out!

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
have THEM do the MTF change for you and then they cannot complain...don't let them see the Mugen QS incase you have problems in the future all you have to do is switch it back to stock it only takes like 40 minutes to do! :) They may not even care about the Mugen but it depends on the dealership, I wouldn't take the chance cause it's easy for them to blame that on a future issue.
You can't buddy. They WILL NOT LET YOU put anything but Honda MTF in the car.

i called them and they said 70 bucks for transmission fluid change. Then i asked what if i have my own fluid, they said, "is it honda brand?" I said no and they said they wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

i called them and they said 70 bucks for transmission fluid change. Then i asked what if i have my own fluid, they said, "is it honda brand?" I said no and they said they wouldn't do it.
have you tried calling every honda dealership, or did you just call one and take it as policy?

·
Registered
23 Posts
another thing i have found thats causing my issues, or at least was causing them, is the line between clutch slave and master cylinders, about 8 inches of it is rubber and the rest is formed steel hardline, mine wore out on the inside incredibly fast, not to metion a stage one clutch and pressure plate setup, so the extra stress of 8600 rpm really took a tole on it, my wife works at auto zone so i thought id be curious and just see what they could get, they only had one option, but it was ok because it was a russel braided steel direct fit, took me like 20 min to install and it was only about 24$, had it to me next day, you guys should look into it, it made my life sooooo much better, i actually enjoy driving my civic again

·
Registered
419 Posts
The first time I had AMSOIL MTF put in my car, I had my Honda dealer do it. They knew it wasn't a Honda brand, and didn't really seem to care. 30,000 miles later, shifts were starting to feel rough again, so i did the change myself. Not really that hard, just have a large pan handy to catch the oil spurting out.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.