8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already went with a smaller battery to reduce weight. I was then planning to move the battery into the trunk to get even more space and distribute the weight between the front and rear axles. I decided to ditch that effort and just reorient the battery in its existing location.

First you will remove the battery tray and then make a minor cut in the frame to support the new orientation of the smaller battery.

Next, you will run a file over the edges where the cut was made to make sure that they are smooth. Then mask off the area and spray the bare metal with a primer coat.

After that, spray on a layer of rubberized undercoating and then remove the masking.

Assist the drying process with a heat gun to make sure that the layer of rubberized undercoating is completely dry. Below is a PIC of how the battery would be reoriented.

With the new orientation, you will then need to fab up a bracket to hold the battery secure. I do not have PICs yet as I am waiting for the undercoating to finish drying.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Blueroadster for President :D

Couldn't you get some long hose clamps and clamp that batter box onto the frame rail? Might make it a pretty easy install then.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Highrev1 said:
Blueroadster for President :D

Couldn't you get some long hose clamps and clamp that batter box onto the frame rail? Might make it a pretty easy install then.
I thought about that. It would take care of the side to side movement, but not the fore and aft. I am planning to fab up a bracket out of aluminum where the lower ends would secure to the two bolt locations for the stock battery tray on one side. From there, it would extend up and hug the front and rear of the battery itself. On the top of that part, there would be a rod with threads to screw a nut down to secure that side of the battery. For the other side of the battery, I was thinking about having another rod going down to a bracket that has hooks that are rubber coated to securely hold onto the frame (there are not any nuts on that side to thread a bolt into).

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Can you still find the threaded holes beneath the undercoating then you could just use some L brackets to handle For and Aft movement.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Highrev1 said:
Can you still find the threaded holes beneath the undercoating then you could just use some L brackets to handle For and Aft movement.
The threaded holes can still be found. The problem is that with the battery in this orientation it covers one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
its not much, but everything adds up slowly.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chullen said:
eric, what kind of battery are you running and do you need to shorten or lengthen the battery cables any?
The battery is an Odyssey PC680MJT. You will not need to modify the stock battery cables although I am going to crimp on a different connector on the end.

Also, regarding the antifreeze overflow tank, since the stock battery bracket is removed, I'll be using locking velcro to the right side of the battery to secure the tank in place.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
What are recommended lightweight batteries Honda /K20 guys use?

What are the pros and cons? maintenance? Thanks.

·
Registered
532 Posts
iomatic said:
What are the pros and cons? maintenance? Thanks.

I have a friend that has the odyssey on his 240. Even when new he had to pray that the car turned on within 15 seconds of turning the starter. Don't even think about long radio use with the car off. And cold weather cranking? Better have a back up of some sort. Of course, all this may or may not apply because they are two different cars.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mishima8 said:
LOL, I see you are still finding things to keep yourself busy!!! Looks good. We should catch up sometime.
How ya been? The car has just been sitting there for a while and I got tired of doing stuff around the house (installed a sprinkler system, a whole house water filter, etc.). That made the wife happy and also bought me some time to work on the car a little bit more. I'll give you a call in the next day or two to talk about other things in the works.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PR_S14 said:
I have a friend that has the odyssey on his 240. Even when new he had to pray that the car turned on within 15 seconds of turning the starter. Don't even think about long radio use with the car off. And cold weather cranking? Better have a back up of some sort. Of course, all this may or may not apply because they are two different cars.
That is helpful to know. I would agree in not recommending this battery if you have an aftermarket stereo system that sucks a lot of power. I think that it is fine for the masses though. I know of several other people that are using the same battery in their Si and have not had any issues (knock on wood).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts