8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can someone sort of describe what the VTEC feels like when you hit it in an Si?

Reading all the posts here, I don’t quite understand what this experience is suppose to be like. I drive a 400hp/400tq corvette, so I’m sure it’s not comparable in those regards, but is it just a louder noise that occurs with a little bit of a tug when you reach it?

I actually test drove the Si 3 times (all 3 different cars at different dealerships) and when I reached 7000rpms, I didn’t notice anything different about the performance of the car other than it got really LOUD and sounded almost like a motorcycle.

Does VTEC really produce a lot of power/speed or is it just IMPLIED power/speed?

I’ve also considered that it could be possible most people who love and promote the wild experience of VTEC may be younger than me (I’m 30) and the Si could very well be their first car…….so they may not have anything to really compare the power of the Si to because they haven’t had other vehicles.

Please assist in educating me with a detailed description of VTEC; I would really like to know more about it because I obviously don’t get it and didn’t experience/notice it on my 3 test drives.

Thanks everyone!! :wavey:

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
If you test drove, then the car likely wasnt warmed up enough. If the ECU doesnt think that the car is warmed up enough, it wont engage vtec to preserve the motor.

At 5800rpms, vtec 'kicks in' and you get a boost of power... by 6200rpms youve gained about 40whp/20wtq. Nothing massive, you you can tell when it happens.

So, you feel the slight nudge in power and hear the engine start screaming.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also, if you're coming from a corvette, you most likely won't notice as much of a kick when VTEC hits because the torque made at that point is still less than at any point driving your vette.

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
Well I guess coming from a Corvette you probably wont feel much difference. The SI and the corvette accelerate at about the same pace, but the SI leaves the Corvette behind at 120.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
Also, if you're coming from a corvette, you most likely won't notice as much of a kick when VTEC hits because the torque made at that point is still less than at any point driving your vette.
:yeahthat:

Heres a dyno chart from a stock civic si. You can see where 'vtec kicks in' at about 5800:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you test drove, then the car likely wasnt warmed up enough. If the ECU doesnt think that the car is warmed up enough, it wont engage vtec to preserve the motor.

At 5800rpms, vtec 'kicks in' and you get a boost of power... by 6200rpms youve gained about 40whp/20wtq. Nothing massive, you you can tell when it happens.

So, you feel the slight nudge in power and hear the engine start screaming.
I see. How long does the Si need to warm up before you can engage VTEC? Also, you said you gain ~ 40hp....is this in addition to the listed 196hp making it ~ 236hp, or does the Si run at 156hp then VTEC pushes it up to the listed 196hp?

Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
I see. How long does the Si need to warm up before you can engage VTEC? Also, you said you gain ~ 40hp....is this in addition to the listed 196hp making it ~ 236hp, or does the Si run at 156hp then VTEC pushes it up to the listed 196hp?

Thanks
You should let it get up to at least 3 bars, but halfway is the best.

You can only make so much HP, so when it is measured it is measured when the engine is at its peak performance. So when they say the civic makes 196hp (which is not whp) they are saying that at about 7,500 RPM (in VTEC) the car will make 196HP.

As you can see from the chart above, the actual HP is more like 180

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
You should let it get up to at least 3 bars, but halfway is the best.

You can only make so much HP, so when it is measured it is measured when the engine is at its peak performance. So when they say the civic makes 196hp (which is not whp) they are saying that at about 7,500 RPM (in VTEC) the car will make 196HP.

As you can see from the chart above, the actual HP is more like 180
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
439 Posts
its like grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr before vtec then braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah after vtec

if you aren't hear braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah then its not warm enough.

But no seriously, it's not like the space time continuum bursts from the ridiculous power hit at 6000 rpm's It's not like hitting 85 in the time machine in back to the future. But the vtec crossover at 5800 RPM's is very easy to hear and tell.

Best way to get an idea is just youtube stock si's doing 0-60. You can hear it easily on any of those videos... I remember doing that before I bought my car back in 07.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Can someone sort of describe what the VTEC feels like when you hit it in an Si?

Reading all the posts here, I don’t quite understand what this experience is suppose to be like. I drive a 400hp/400tq corvette, so I’m sure it’s not comparable in those regards, but is it just a louder noise that occurs with a little bit of a tug when you reach it?

I actually test drove the Si 3 times (all 3 different cars at different dealerships) and when I reached 7000rpms, I didn’t notice anything different about the performance of the car other than it got really LOUD and sounded almost like a motorcycle.

Does VTEC really produce a lot of power/speed or is it just IMPLIED power/speed?

I’ve also considered that it could be possible most people who love and promote the wild experience of VTEC may be younger than me (I’m 30) and the Si could very well be their first car…….so they may not have anything to really compare the power of the Si to because they haven’t had other vehicles.

Please assist in educating me with a detailed description of VTEC; I would really like to know more about it because I obviously don’t get it and didn’t experience/notice it on my 3 test drives.

Thanks everyone!! :wavey:
It feels like nothing when it kicks in. Go test drive a S2000 or a NSX and you'll feel the kick. RSX-S, Si, GSR, Prelude doesn't really have a kick.

·
Registered
322 Posts
its like grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr before vtec then braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah after vtec

But no seriously, it's not like the space time continuum bursts from the ridiculous power hit at 6000 rpm's It's not like hitting 85 in the time machine in back to the future. But the vtec crossover at 5800 RPM's is very easy to hear and tell.

Best way to get an idea is just youtube stock si's doing 0-60. You can hear it easily on any of those videos... I remember doing that before I bought my car back in 07.
I believe it was 88mph before the Deloreans VTEC (flux capacitor) kicked in.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
It feels like nothing when it kicks in. Go test drive a S2000 or a NSX and you'll feel the kick. RSX-S, Si, GSR, Prelude doesn't really have a kick.
I've never test drove any of those car's but in my opinion you can easily feel the v-tec kick in the SI and start pulling like a whore in heat!! (Not the gsr though I have driven in one of those) :vtec:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

It's 88mph to get the dolorean back in time!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts