8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for the '07 mt. ex coupe model, when does vtec kicks in?? i havent really driven mi car to find out since its still new. i would just lyk to know when it kicks in.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
for the '07 mt. ex coupe model, when does vtec kicks in?? i havent really driven mi car to find out since its still new. i would just lyk to know when it kicks in.
VTEC on your car is alot different than on the Si's you "in" VTEC from 1000rpm - 3000 rpm i believe, the VTEC on non-Si models is more for economy not performance such as the Si

·
Registered
923 Posts
Also, since the i-VTEC in the R18 is for fuel economy purposes, you won't feel the i-VTEC engage (or disengage) like you would in the K20

·
Registered
430 Posts
Uhh, why does it matter? VTEC is a joke, just a marketing ploy to make underpowered cars seem fast to little riceboys.

Basically, if you can't feel it...it's pointless. Unless you're thinking "oohh I'm getting better fuel economy right now, woot!"

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
does that chart mean Vtec engages at 1000-3500 under light loads???
The chart shows the part in red as non-vtec. If you press the pedal hard the load on the engine increase and vtech will kick in. Or if you exced 3500rpms vtec is ingaged.

Nothing like Vtec on the Si cars.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Uhh, why does it matter? VTEC is a joke, just a marketing ploy to make underpowered cars seem fast to little riceboys.

Basically, if you can't feel it...it's pointless. Unless you're thinking "oohh I'm getting better fuel economy right now, woot!"
Vtec for the base civic allows for the car to achieve awesome MPG while having power on tap.

Vtec for high performance cars is almost a standard item. BMW, Benz, and many other cars use some type of vtec, vvt, vtc... To achieve a long power band (torque band).

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
The chart shows the part in red as non-vtec. If you press the pedal hard the load on the engine increase and vtech will kick in. Or if you exced 3500rpms vtec is ingaged.

Nothing like Vtec on the Si cars.
nope the part in red is actually vtec for the R18

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hahaha, yep. You don't have the "boost of power" V-tec. You have the "let's same gas V-tec" like me. I once told my passengers that we are approaching Vtec and they'rel ike "wat".

·
Registered
364 Posts

Tell that to the 600 hp 8500 rpm vario cam ferrari engines buddy. Vanos based S54 vtec like m3 motors, or any 91 integra with a b16a1 and spoon cams in it.....sexy....

Variable cam technology has been around for 30+ years.

some variable cam technologies change timing, lift, duration, angle, ect... depending on how its used it can flatten a torque curve, pop into a high lift high output mode such as b16 b18, or go into a full timing control, lift, duration, angle like the SI or RSX-S

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you watch the video of the R18 on Honda's website, it really explains how the i-VTEC works in the R18. It does only kick in between 1000 and 3500, but the engine also has to be under a light load. It is possible to be between 1000 and 3500 and not have the i-VTEC engaged.

When most people post and say that they hear the VTEC on the R18, they are just hearing the intake manifold switch from long to the short "ram" intake. You can really hear it when it does change.

I love the R18 engine. We just got back from our Christmas trip, and I averaged right around 38MPG. The car was fully loaded down to! My rear camber was way out with all the junk in the truck!

Brian

·
Registered
6,059 Posts

you couldnt be more wrong. the reason you can feel it in the Si is because honda dips the torque right before the cross over and then you have an instant 10lb-ft torque boost.

if you cant feel it, it means that it was a seemless transition, no torque dip = BETTER.

drive a Toyota 2ZZ car, BMW M3, Z4M, 911 GT3, 8500RPM Ferrari's or S2000 i guarantee you wont "feel it" so much as hear it.

the torque dip in our Si is unfortunatly a marketing ploy so that the car feels faster in the high revs...which is why i want the Hondata reflash to get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts