8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

vtc advance malfunction p1009 no start

49K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  danielvramosjd 
#1 ·
ok i made another post about this before i was more informed about it but basically my car won't start and it's def not battery, spark, fuse, wires, etc. it cranks good and even fires but idles rough, sputters then cuts off. im pulling code p1009 wich is vtc advance malfunction. so i changed the vtc oil control assembly hoping that would fix it but no luck. i am wondering should i have changed the vtec solenoid instead? i have no clue what to do and and i'm sure someone has had this problem before. this is my daily and i still owe 10k on it so i need to get this fixed asap! please help someone!

#5 · (Edited)
also see 04 accord (i4 auto) Code p1009 - Honda-Tech

This code can sometimes be caused by a fault VTC actuator on the camshaft, but is more often caused by a stretched timing chain and/or damaged tensioner. In that case, the timing chain, chain tensioner, and chain guides will need to be replaced. Damage to the timing chain is usually caused by running the engine low on oil constantly, or using too high of an oil viscosity. If your engine burns oil, you need to be checking the oil level on a regular basis and topping it off as needed.

#6 · (Edited)
and 2004 Honda Accord EX 2.4L OBDII code P1009

P1009 has to do with the VTC sensor. (Which is on the motor next to the power steering pump. To get to it, you need remove the power steering pump.) It says to clean the VTC sensor, drain your oil and clear the code. Ironically, I noticed my oil was not topped off, so I topped it off. I also go some SeaFoam and put it in there. I drove the thing around at lunch, drove home and then drove it from Austin to San Antonio and back and did not get the error again. Strange. I am glad it was something minor like that. I have my other Honda (A CRV) getting the A/C fixed and didnt need 2 cars in the shop.

#15 ·
yea i thought about that but the inspection fee is 250 and i gotta pay to get it towed and then pay another shop fees even if it's other shop fees are cheaper the inspection fee and towing would make it about the same. so i'll just let em do it. damn dealerships get ya man. hey thanks for all the help and suggestions though man i appreciate it

#16 ·
Damn, sorry to hear that man (but atleast it's getting fixed).

You should have looked around for a specialty Honda shop. I went to a specialty Honda shop, and to get a set of cams installed (which involves doing everything to replace a timing chain + more), only cost me like $250. Now you would have to factor in the part cost, but it still would be a while hell of a lot cheaper than $1400.

Oh well man, you live and you learn. Enjoy the car once you get it back, and be sure to keep checking the oil level!

#17 ·
No one would replace cams and or timing chain for 250 Might get your info checked. If someone would do it for that price I would not let them touch my car as it costs 100 dollars and hour just about anywhere for auto repair and cams and timing chains and related items surely take well over 2 hours to change not including parts. So 1400 sounds correct. ignore the other comment as it is why we have so many problems in this industry.

#19 ·
¿Le cambiaron la cadena? ¿Esto solucionó tu problema?
[/CITA]
ME paso el mes pasado el mismo problema con el código P1009, el carro no enciende, honda civic SI k20z3, 2009, ya limpie el selenoide VTC y no arranca, tengo bajas compresiones en piston 1 y 2 (100 Psi), 3 y 3 (210Psi), probare cambiando aceite y filtros, si alguien tiene algun consejo que me pueda ayudar, gracias.