8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:vtec: I saw this awesome video clip on this car with a blown Si motor. Really fast. It uses a Jackson Racing SC to make 300 whp to a 1200 lb tubular frame open wheel car. Gotta see the video - awesome acceleration. This guys face distorts from it, like a fighter pilot with full afterburners. Gotta see this.

http://www.arielatom.com/
then go to the video on the right side of the page

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Doug said:
if you read on the powertrain, it says its an eco tec motor =(
In The US they offer the ECotech motor cause Jay Leno pulled some strings and got that engine in the chassis...In Europe they utalize the K series...I think you can get just a plain chassis here in the US and install a K-series if you want...Or maybee you can order it with the K-series here also I forget..

EDIT: NOPE I just went to build another one and they took away the K-series option for the U.S :( Domestic engine only :( FTL

·
Registered
636 Posts
I bet you could order it engine-less and order the engine, tranny, mounts, axles, wiring harness, and all the misc brackets cables and stuff from a uk ariel dealer.

Never mind

HowStuffWorks.com said:
Is the Atom really street-legal?
If the Atom looks like a racecar and runs like a racecar, is it really legal to drive one on U.S. highways? First, let's define "street-legal." Street-legal simply means that a car meets certain government standards for motor vehicle safety. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) establishes and enforces these standards at the federal level. States may impose additional laws or regulations that further govern what vehicles are allowed on the road.

To be street-legal, an Atom must be built as a kit car. That means everything, including the engine, is shipped to the owner in pieces. An optional road pack, which includes turn signals, a horn, rear tail lights and headlamps, is also available. The owner assembles the car in his own garage, being sure to follow all appropriate, state-mandated vehicle safety guidelines. Otherwise, the Atom is sold as an off-the-road-only vehicle -- not legal on the highway, but perfectly comfortable at the local track.

So i guess one should then buy the atom with the cheapest engine and not install it that way it looks legal on paper.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I contacted them like 6 months ago to see if kits were available...and it pretty much comes as a package deal.

The GM engines were the only option at that time...hmmm let's get rid of one of the most reliable 4 cylinder engines that we use in our euro versions in favor of a GM powerplant...car still MOVES with the ecotec, but I don't understand the thought process...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Highrev1 said:
In The US they offer the ECotech motor cause Jay Leno pulled some strings and got that engine in the chassis...In Europe they utalize the K series...I think you can get just a plain chassis here in the US and install a K-series if you want...Or maybee you can order it with the K-series here also I forget..

EDIT: NOPE I just went to build another one and they took away the K-series option for the U.S :( Domestic engine only :( FTL

for that, i would not own one.

i dislike chevy.

F*CK LENO!! ahahah lol

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
torch02si said:
I contacted them like 6 months ago to see if kits were available...and it pretty much comes as a package deal.

The GM engines were the only option at that time...hmmm let's get rid of one of the most reliable 4 cylinder engines that we use in our euro versions in favor of a GM powerplant...car still MOVES with the ecotec, but I don't understand the thought process...
Cheaper to produce... that means more profit.

·
Premium Member
101,191 Posts
I sent them an Email yesterday that stated this:
"I am interested in an atom 2 with a honda K-series motor. Is that available? The website didn't seem to have that option."

This is what they replied:
"We should have news about availability within the next 30 days."

also I got this from their website:
"Both Honda and GM powerplants and gearboxes combine reliability, economic servicing and practical ownership into the optimal package for a vehicle of this type."

edit: There is no way in hell I would buy one without a honda motor.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
07 Figi Blue Si said:
:vtec: I saw this awesome video clip on this car with a blown Si motor. Really fast. It uses a Jackson Racing SC to make 300 whp to a 1200 lb tubular frame open wheel car. Gotta see the video - awesome acceleration. This guys face distorts from it, like a fighter pilot with full afterburners. Gotta see this.

http://www.arielatom.com/
then go to the video on the right side of the page
Right after my next car, it will be my DD and I WILL BUY an Ariel Atom. Give me till 2010 and I will have one, I can promise you that.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts