8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am planning on installing a vibrant race header w high flow cat on my 2006 SI and I want to know if I will be able to pass emissions tests in atlanta georgia . Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
it won't pass a sniffer. it will pass the obd whatever if you are lucky it doesnt throw a CEL (like mine) or a defouler . it'll also pass a visual inspection.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
it won't pass a sniffer. it will pass the obd whatever if you are lucky it doesnt throw a CEL (like mine) or a defouler . it'll also pass a visual inspection.
Visually no CEL and having what appears to be a CAT "there" is what Arizona residents have to deal with. They don't put a sniffer on unless the car is so many years old. The law even says all cars newer than like 196X or something have to have a CAT. This is the only reason I'm contemplating the Vibrant header or a Kidd racing header plus costom work for my exhaust purchase. A 100 CEL metal core CAT aint gonna pass no OBDII emissions though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
All 1996 and newer vehicles will receive a two-part inspection.

* An OBD test to check your vehicle’s emission control performance history.
* A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.

If an OBD test is unable to be performed on a vehicle, it may be necessary to perform a Two-Speed Idle test (TSI).

All 1995 and older model year vehicles will receive a four-part inspection:

* A visual inspection of the catalytic converter to check for tampering or removal.
* ASM2 or Accelerated Simulation Mode Test - A dual-mode test including a 25/25 test = 25 percent load at 25 MPH and a 50/15 test = 50 percent load at 15 MPH.
* A tailpipe exhaust emission test.
* A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.

An inspector can reject a vehicle for testing if it is considered unsafe to test. If the test has already begun when the safety problem is detected, the inspector may charge the full price of the test.

Excerpt taken from Georgia Clean Air Force website under the question, "What tests will be performed?"

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
^ that's good info. As long as they stick to only checking for CEL's, you should obviously be fine.

P.S. :wavey: fellow Georgians!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
techinically, they can inspect as far as they want. According to their proceedures in the state he mentioned (if his facts are correct) they can do a sniff test. In that case, you would likely fail an ODBII sniff test b/c you only have an OBDI CAT which might not even be spec'd out for that Engine with whatever tune you have on it... .

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
That depends entirely upon your state's inspection process.

Like the others have said: If you don't have a CEL, and they just plug into your OBDII port to check for CELs, you'll probably pass (I know mine does). If you get a stickler of an inspector, who wants to check every little thing, you probably won't pass the visual inspection. Despite the fact that this header has a HFC, it is stamped with the words "For Offroad Use Only".

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
This has been discussed so many times, it should be a mantra by now. Plain and simple, the Vibrant race header w/hfc was never designed to pass an emissions' test. The header was designed for race series that demand a catalytic converter. Vibrant makes it clear that it is "for off road use only". It is an OBDI cat, not OBDII. So, it will never, ever pass a sniffer test. It may however pass a CEL test. People should know this before buying this header or any other race header. If you want to stay 100% legal, get a CT Engineering header and keep the stock cat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts