8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any1 have any sound clips with this setup? Also does having the resonator give it a deeper sound? thx :wavey:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I was the first person I believe to install a Vibrant 18" resonator with a Vibrant race header and Vibrant cat-back. I did a thread on the installation and have many videos both in car and drive by to get a feel for the sound. Trust me, you will be glad that you get a resonator. It doesnd't affect hp at all and really tones down the sound when driven normally. I have no drone whatsoever on the freeway at any speed. At 55 mph, the sound is the same as stock. Check out the thread: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/79725-mother-all-vibrant-race-header-installs.html

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I also have this setup. Waste of money. Not really reduce the noise. Sounds sexy and deeper though. Might be a cop magnetic. If you haven't bought the exhaust, I would recommend Apexi World Sport 2. Sounds like Greddy but better gain. Somone has done the dyno to prove the gain. use search.

·
Registered
129 Posts
At 55 mph, the sound is the same as stock. [/url]
That's true.

What is also true, however, is that nobody I know drives on the highway at 55mph.

At 70+ mph, the sound is a lot like a barrel of angry hornets as heard through a pair of 18" subwoofers powered by a 5000 watt amp.

I couldn't stand long trips.

In fairness, I also was running a Vibrant header with HFC - I'm sure that had a lot to do with the noise level.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I also have this setup. Waste of money. Not really reduce the noise. Sounds sexy and deeper though. Might be a cop magnetic. If you haven't bought the exhaust, I would recommend Apexi World Sport 2. Sounds like Greddy but better gain. Somone has done the dyno to prove the gain. use search.
That's true.

What is also true, however, is that nobody I know drives on the highway at 55mph.

At 70+ mph, the sound is a lot like a barrel of angry hornets as heard through a pair of 18" subwoofers powered by a 5000 watt amp.

I couldn't stand long trips.

In fairness, I also was running a Vibrant header with HFC - I'm sure that had a lot to do with the noise level.

OK, for both of you guys, I disagree. brdhouse, a fellow Minnesotan, had a Vibrant RH w/hfc, Vibrant cat-back and 18" resonator installed. He had previously installed a Fujita SRI and engine torque dampner.

He immediately hated it. Said it was way too loud, droned and was so loud inside the car that his ears were ringing after driving. He posted in this section about it. I have been off since 12/19/08, so I didn't respond.

brdhouse arranged to come over to my house and let my son-VQ Power, drive his car. VQ Power power agreed that is was way too loud and something that could not be lived with.

VQ Power then gave brdhouse a ride in our FBP FA5 with Vibrant race header, Vibrant cat-back and 18" resonator. brdhouse was blown away. At idle, ours was nice and mellow while his was roaring. Driving normally, ours again was mellow while his thundered. The real test was driving on the freeway: at legal highway speeds, ours is virtually the same as stock while his was almost impossible to live with.

BTW, at 70 mph, mine is no different than 55 mph. It does not drone nor is it any louder than stock. I will admit that in VTEC, it screams, but driven normally, it is no cop magnet.

I don't know if the problem is related to installation or a combination of factors like what intake is used and whether or not a torque dampner is used. I would think that an open element SRI would exacerbate the noise issue. Since I have cowl induction and since my airfiler is contained inside an airbox, noise is reduced.

Anyway, I have had numerous Minnesotans drive/ride in my car as well as drive next to me at meets. All have said how nice the car sounds. Because it has so sounded so great, they too have wanted to replicate what I have done.

The OP should listen to the videos and make us his own mind. I am sorry for anyone who has not gotten the results they were looking for, but for my part, the resonator has worked out beautifully.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nitrous - you're a lucky man, that's all I can say :)

I certainly wish I knew what the difference is with your build vs. what I had.

brdhouse, a fellow Minnesotan, had a Vibrant RH w/hfc, Vibrant cat-back and 18" resonator installed. He had previously installed a Fujita SRI and engine torque dampner.
Incidentally, this is identical to the combination that I was running.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
^ Eric, are you using either an open element intake or a torque dampener? Seems like either or both of those radically contribute to increased noise either inside or outside the car.

I just read where w00t692 a torque dampener on and he said his exhaust is a lot louder. My theory here is that the stiffness from the dampener transmits more noise into the interior. This could definitely contribute to increased interior noise levels or droning.

Also, any SRI radically increases sound levels as the air can be heard being sucked into the intake. That increased breathing and lack of a cover matched with a race header and cat-back can greatly add to sound levels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^ Eric, are you using either an open element intake or a torque dampener? Seems like either or both of those radically contribute to increased noise either inside or outside the car.
Bill,

Both, as a matter of fact. The Fujita intake has an open element filter, however when NOT paired with an exhaust, the sound is extremely manageable and even pleasant. The transference of the exhaust vibration to the chassis through the ETD is something I hadn't considered. It's possible that was the culprit.

In any case, my current setup is very satisfactory. I'm running every part mentioned above minus the Vibrant cat back, and in place of that I have a custom 2.5" mid pipe attached to my stock muffler. The loss of power compared to the Vibrant system is minimal, and the sound and appearance are both nearly stock/sleeper, which is how I prefer it :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
So it's my fujita SRI that causes the drone? I already took the ETD off, and it didn't help much... only softened the lower RPM sounds, didn't do much about the drone. It's still bad from 3-4k, and under moderate to full throttle.

Void, did you throw a CEL when you had everything on?

Bill, no need to apologize... this will get worked out. I just need a little help figuring out the best thing to do next. I'm getting a new primary o2 sensor put on next week, but I'm wondering if the Fujita is causing a lean mixture, which is throwing the cel. Those o2 sensors are $110, so I'd like to get it right and not kill another one. Should I put my stock intake back on? I love my fujita, but maybe it's been the problem all along!?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
So it's my fujita SRI that causes the drone? I already took the ETD off, and it didn't help much... only softened the lower RPM sounds, didn't do much about the drone. It's still bad from 3-4k, and under moderate to full throttle.

Void, did you throw a CEL when you had everything on?

Bill, no need to apologize... this will get worked out. I just need a little help figuring out the best thing to do next. I'm getting a new primary o2 sensor put on next week, but I'm wondering if the Fujita is causing a lean mixture, which is throwing the cel. Those o2 sensors are $110, so I'd like to get it right and not kill another one. Should I put my stock intake back on? I love my fujita, but maybe it's been the problem all along!?
Bill, check out this thread. The OP indicated that his torque dampener made his car louder. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/138278-wooo-hooo-got-my-torque-dampener.html

As for the Fujita, seems like if it is used with a stock exhaust system, the sound is about right, but with a race header and cat-back, everything is amplified. I know that an enclosed airbox dramatically reduces sound levels.

In your case though, I am still scratching my head wondering what is going on. Joshua said it sounded like a leak even though LJ at Full Blown checked it out.

As a test, you might want to try your stock airbox and make a comparison. As for the CEL, that too has me bewildered. The Fujita can definitely lean out your A/F ratio as there are no MAF vanes to adjust for the change in airflow. This is why I was adamant in using a MAF housing with vanes in my cowl induction system.

If you need me to help you out at Full Blown, let me know. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Thanks Bill, I hope I can find the time to switch back to my stock intake this weekend... I will be sad to see the fujita go, but maybe my ear drums will be better for it.

As for the ETD... you get more motor/intake sounds, nothing like the exhaust or hfc or resonator drone I, and apparantly void, are talking about.

I would like to hear from others that have the full vibrant setup with a fujita SRI, to see if this is the case.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
if you have motor mounts, powerstick, etc. you car will be louder. when i had the stock intake/exhaust with the motor mounts, it was loud. the noise level will also be higher depending on what rpm you're at.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
if you have motor mounts, powerstick, etc. you car will be louder. when i had the stock intake/exhaust with the motor mounts, it was loud. the noise level will also be higher depending on what rpm you're at.
Agreed, but I was trying to say that this noise is very different from the "drone" that void experienced, and that I am currently experiencing. I still get the same exact droning noise without the ETD.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I just ordered the 18" resonator early today, hope its not a waste of money. I got it because I am eventually going to get the vibrant rh without the hfc and was hoping that it will reduce some of the noise in lower rpms when I am just driving town.

Another thing - does the resonator slide over the original down piping and welded or do you cut out 18" of the down pipe and weld the resonator in its place?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I just ordered the 18" resonator early today, hope its not a waste of money. I got it because I am eventually going to get the vibrant rh without the hfc and was hoping that it will reduce some of the noise in lower rpms when I am just driving town.

Another thing - does the resonator slide over the original down piping and welded or do you cut out 18" of the down pipe and weld the resonator in its place?

You will need to section out a part of the cat-back pipe in order to install the resonator. The good thing is that the resonator is 2.5 OD while the cat-back is 2.5" ID, so it will slide onto the cat-back pipe. Have it TIG welded.

Check out my thread from February of last year: http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/bolt-ons-all-motor/79725-mother-all-vibrant-race-header-installs.html

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Would it be better to bring the car in and get cat back pipe cut and resonator welded in place, or should I just bring the entire catback exhaust in with the resonator and have them do it off the car? Fitment might be a issue possibly when I try to install it back on the car.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Agreed, but I was trying to say that this noise is very different from the "drone" that void experienced, and that I am currently experiencing. I still get the same exact droning noise without the ETD.
and at what rpm do you get the drone??

the quiet spot for me are from 2.4K - 3.2K rpm.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
the resonator is about a 50/50 shot, some ppl it works others it doesn't. i had 18'' resonated catback with dcrh and it sounded like there was a jungle under my floorboard between 55 and 75

1 - 20 of 50 Posts