8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got back from having my Vibrant Cat-back exhaust installed today. When I arrived, an NSX with a built motor and custom turbo system was just being finished up. I watched as it was started up and then loaded onto a trailer. The fabrication/master mechanic-John of Full Blown Motors, said that the car would be good for 600 hp or so.

John pulled my Si into the bay and put it on the hoist. He quickly took off the stock Si exhaust system and then began to assemble the Vibrant system, piece by piece. I was a little nervous after hearing all the horror stories of exhaust leaks. :eek:hnoes: The Vibrant section that connects to the catalytic converter has a flange that is slightly thinner than the stock piece. John used some lock washers to make up the gap and everything was copacetic. :thumb:

Next, he put the section on with the resonator. Everything hung nicely from the stock rubber hangers. I was biting my nails because the Vibrant system I bought was for an FG2, not an FA5. John then hung the muffler section, taking care to make sure there was adequate clearance between it and the bumper section. I told him that others had had melted bumpers due to the proximity of the exhaust tip.

The last part was connecting the resonator section to the section connected to the catalytic converter. We used the Vibrant sleeve with the clamps. To my utter dismay, the sleeve fit perfectly between the resonator section and the pipe that connects to the catalytic converter. John tightened everything down and said he would check for leaks before deciding if that piece needed to be welded in.

As it turned out, there were no exhaust leaks. Everything was tight and solid. There was no need for a 2" extension as the sleeve made up for the difference in pipe length between the Coupe and the Sedan. John then lowered the car and I was on my way.

First impressions are this: At idle, the car is almost the same as a stock Si. When driven in economy mode, the car is really not any louder than when the car had the stock exhaust. When driving at 60 mph in 6th gear, there was no drone and my FA5 just hummed along.

When I got on it pretty good, I noticed that it is louder than stock, but not obnoxious. Hitting VTEC and shifting from first to second, I chirped the tires pretty good and definitely noticed a nice little power gain. There seemed to be more oomph than before. Since we just had a big snowfall on Christmas day and again yesterday, and since I am so OCD and anal about how my car looks, I didn't do a major drive.

Overall, I am pleased with how everything turned out. The Vibrant system is a quality piece. The muffler looks super good, all shiny and bright. The fitment was excellent. Having a professional like John at Full Blown Motors made all the difference in the world. Since he is a master fabricator and mechanic, he can make things work. Even he was beaming from ear to ear when we started the car up. He said it sounded really good and he was pleased with the installation. He said that Vibrant makes top quality products and he uses their fabrication pieces a lot. :vtec:

I would also like to give kudos to Tai at Corsport where we bought our Vibrant cat-back system. He is super professional and a top notch guy. I received my system very quickly and am impressed by the efficiency of Corsport. The price was right too, especially after the Turbo Mafia scam where I paid almost $610 for a system. My system arrived with nary a scratch or dent in it. Everything was perfect. :thumb:

Any FA5 guys should go ahead and do the Vibrant cat-back system. It is best to do the installation on a lift with a professional doing the work like John of Full Blown Motors. I am pleased so far and will post up more when I do more driving. :dancing:

PS, I forgot my camera, so I have no pics of the install. I really wished I had brought it so that I could have documented everything. :pat:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
So would you recommend John at full blown motors????

hehe Great Review +1 for time to write. After reading this I'm actually considering over the apexi Ws2

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad to hear you like the exhaust. The shop that welded the piece for me said if it would have been the correct size clamp, there should not have been any leaks. I installed the system myself, then had the shop weld a 4 inch piece over the section.

·
Registered
36 Posts
well, I think that does it, going to order mine next week. Sounds like just what I've been looking for, thanks for the review

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Nice write up :thumb: Is that shop in Minnetonka near you or up in the Twin Cities/Minneapolis? Does he do full turbo installs and tuning as well? Sounds like a cool place

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice write up :thumb: Is that shop in Minnetonka near you or up in the Twin Cities/Minneapolis? Does he do full turbo installs and tuning as well? Sounds like a cool place
The shop is located in Bloomington on Nicollet Avenue, close to 494. John Nguyen, the owner of Full Blown Motors, does virtually any kind of drivetrain and suspension mods as well as putting on carbon fiber parts and window tinting.

Full Blown has a chassis dyno to dial in any car and check on horsepower and torque increases after mods. John Nguyen has a 650 hp Evo VIII where he custom designed the headers, larger turbo, plumbing and intercooler. He also has a 650 hp Civic that he said he actually likes to drive more.

Full Blown is a reseller of Arias pistons and Carillo rods. He has done full motors for guys ranging from Honda to Acura to Nissan to Mitsubishi and Subaru. When I arrived to have my exhaust installed, he had just finished up a custom turbo system for an NSX which had a built motor to boot. When they started that NSX up, it was automobile euphoria. The sound was simply incredible what with the cams and twin turbos.

The shop can do virtually any mods you want done to a car. They have worked on my G35 as well as my Si. I highly recommend them for any serious mods that you want done. Full Blown Motorsports

Full Blown Motorsports - Minnesota Sport Compacts Forums

Turbo'd NSX ... - Minnesota Sport Compacts Forums

Reactions: 2fast4u2

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the Vibrant catback come with gaskets for the flange connecting the cat to the b-pipe?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Cool man, glad you like the exhaust. Mine is much louder than stock tho, mabye because of the high flow cat, but there was a big differance in sound for me. Anyways enjoy the exhaust, +1 for the write up, and a great taste in exhaust :thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool man, glad you like the exhaust. Mine is much louder than stock tho, mabye because of the high flow cat, but there was a big differance in sound for me. Anyways enjoy the exhaust, +1 for the write up, and a great taste in exhaust :thumb:

If I do a RH and HFC, I am going to get another resonator installed. Vibrant makes resonators in 12" and 18" lengths. Thanks for the rep! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Thanks for all those clarifications; it sure makes everything easier to understand. Now, the question is do I spend my wheel money?

:D

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all those clarifications; it sure makes everything easier to understand. Now, the question is do I spend my wheel money?

:D
That is the $64,000 question. I have these questions all the time myself. Do I go for the enhanced looks of body pieces and wheels, suspension and brake mods, or power enhancing mods to the motor? I only have so much money. For the time being, I am working on the performance part first. Over time, I will get the styling part down too as well as better handling.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think of wheels and suspension as performance (if the wheels are light, personally.) I guess I could start taking away from the kids' college funds! :p

1 - 20 of 222 Posts