8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

Ive been around these forums for a while. Problem, after problem i have fixed almost everything on it (Hand-Me down Car from parents who neglected the maintenance). Even though most of the stuff is done, It is still very slow on acceleration. I have to almost floor it 75% just to get to 55 MPH. It has around 160,400 mi.

Stuff done to it that was documented: (Around 3/7/20 - 7/18/20)

* AFT Change 3x with inline filter (Fluid was probably original at 158,149 mi) (OEM Fluid)

* Rear Brake Pads Changed

* Coolant Changed at 158,942 mi (OEM)

* Key replaced at 159,594 mi (OEM)

* All 4 Mounts changed at 160k

* Synthetic Oil Change done at 160,148 mi

* Spark Plugs replaced at 160,128 mi (OEM)

* EGR Cleaned out, and PCV Valve replaced at 160,249 mi (OEM)

* Power Steering Fluid replaced at 160,338 mi (I also had to top off the Coolant Reservoir) (OEM Fluid)

Stuff needing to get done:

* Valve Adjustment (Probably never done)

* Front Strut Assembly needs to get changed as the car hits the ground at a speed bump

* o2 Sensor need's to get changed again as i think i was probably given the wrong sensor for the Upstream Unit.

* Rear Struts need to get changed again as the Monroe's are complete garbage. 1 year, and the rear end is loose.

* Brake Flush needs to be done at the dealership because the front Bleeder Valve Snapped off clean. I am expecting new calipers to the front, and a steep bill.

As you see, its a big list for a Honda Civic. It looks like the car is just not worth putting much money into. When the o2 Sensor was changed, the car lost a lot of performance. At the time, it was my dads car, and even he said that it got slower. I am looking for a OEM o2 Sensor change soon, but as of now, i want to make sure this is the right issue for the car being very slow. Even thought it's slow, it drives fine.

The o2 Sensor was bought at AutoZone, and it looks like a Downstream Sensor

Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there a local pick and pull junk yard in your area with the part you need, would be cheaper than buying new regarding those brakes from the dealership. It really depends how deep down the rabbit hole you wish to go with the money but you know what your budget is.

if you were given the wrong part that could be an issue, could possibly be a defective unit, very rare but could occur.

I would confirm if there are indeed two different sensors and go from there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
"At the time, it was my dads car, and even he said that it got slower. "
It hardly seems possible for a civic to get even slower..

Bad jokes aside - does the engine have problems revving in neutral or in gear? Now I doubt this is the case but if the catalytic converter is partially clogged, that can hinder performance. If you want to test that, disconnect the exhaust right after the manifold and take it for a spin. Yes it will be horribly loud and probably smelling exhaust fumes. May also trigger a code but anyways...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It revves fine. When the upstream o2 sensor got changed, performance got immediately affected. The o2 sensor they gave me awfully looks similar to the downstream one down the engine bay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts