8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im COMPLETELY new to the world of honda, all i knew before hand was that honda was reliable and that's what i need at this moment in life.

my first car was an 96 eclipse GS . . only about 140hp ish.. not the fastest car on the street, but good starting for me b/c i love eclipses.. and yes, it wasnt the fastest, but i felt pull .. maybe d/t being a small car?

second car was a 97 eclipse GSX.. had it for about 2 months then upgraded the turbo to a 14b, new fuel pump, kicked up the boost, bunch of other stuff, (the ssq bov was always fun to listen to) .. obviously that pulled like crazy..

so first car, non turbo, second car turbo w/ extra...

so anyways, the eclipse has too many problems (darn mitsubishi) so i SADLY said good buy and bought an 08 civic si sedan.. (i need the reliability until i get my degree in a couple months, plus i wanted to see the hype on the SI ..)

i FINALLY broke it in, and i was excited to see how this "vtech" feels. as i said, my first honda experience was pretty sad.. i did NOT feel ANY pull whatsoever... i understand that the sedan is more luxiourious/family oriented, but i figured close to 200 hp, i should feel something, right?

so i tried again on the highway and was near redline and still nothing..

got off the highway and tried from a stop and still nothing..

i had VSA off the whole time.. i understand that i could possibly still be going pretty fast for a stock sedan car, but i REALLY wanted to feel some sort of a pull, thats part of the excitement of driving..

so if you ended up reading this rant, i wrote this so someone can maybe say something to make me feel better about the civic.. i am disappointed, but i want to give it another shot..

any suggestions, opinions, keeping in mind i dont want to mod the engine at the moment? i just want to enhance my driving experience, and i mean, its not like i dont know how to drive, but maybe im missing something about hondas?

thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
It has 200hp but have you seen it's torque?

Take the Si to the twisties and see how fun it is then. Screw the straight lines!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh, ill take the advice and try some twists.. but as for a straight line, not much going on for me?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Should of bought a EVO?
I think the Si is fast enough for a daily driver. It handles great too. Get Intake/Header/Exhaust and that should put you around 200ishWHP/220BHP

·
Registered
274 Posts
Im sorry to be an ass about this but I have a Si-dan and you know what? I absolutely love my car and I feel like it pulls very well stock? Im tired of people in all different types of cars (GTI's WRX's and most importantly Si's) bitching about their cars STOCK! as I told my friends that have all the cars mentioned, these cars are all built to a certain degree, engineers have precognitevely thought about the idea of us "building up" our rides so that is why the Si, GTI, etc... arent built to be like STI's right off the lot and frankly I like it that way or else there would be no fun in driving a fully built stock car... moral of the story is quit your whining man up and poney up the dough then you can be pullin as much as you want...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im sorry to be an ass about this but I have a Si-dan and you know what? I absolutely love my car and I feel like it pulls very well stock? Im tired of people in all different types of cars (GTI's WRX's and most importantly Si's) bitching about their cars STOCK! as I told my friends that have all the cars mentioned, these cars are all built to a certain degree, engineers have precognitevely thought about the idea of us "building up" our rides so that is why the Si, GTI, etc... arent built to be like STI's right off the lot and frankly I like it that way or else there would be no fun in driving a fully built stock car... moral of the story is quit your whining man up and poney up the dough then you can be pullin as much as you want...
:police:

ey, calm down, first off, i KNOW its not a fair comparison to a turbo, and i know its not going to pull like a turbo, but if you read, i said its my first honda experience and i didnt know what to expect and i wanted to give it another shot.

i bought a honda because i know they're reliable and people love driving them, im not trying to rag on them.. as far as modding, im indecisive because this was suppose to be a fun daily driver to help me out for a while.

all i wanted was some advice or inside info on people who own an si and ARNt new to honda's

anyone knows you can mod a car to make it faster

if you want to say something helpful, i mean, at least post like the other posts before you and asking me to try it on twists, which is productive helpful info,, i mean, i thought this forum was open for friendly conversation and people looking out for each other.

if i want the INSTAnt pull and didnt wanna hear about different situations driving the honda, i would of dropped a turbo in and built it up by now. . .

ii just was expecting something else and wanted to hear what people had to say... -_-;;

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should of bought a EVO?
I think the Si is fast enough for a daily driver. It handles great too. Get Intake/Header/Exhaust and that should put you around 200ishWHP/220BHP
i WAS going to buy an evo, but i wanted the reliability.. i love mitsubishi, but as for reliability, mitsubishi does NOT have that, lol ..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just re-read this post and wanted to add one more thing

STI's, EVOs, etc ARE fast off the bat.. but they are by no means fully built stock cars... there is PLENTY of things we did to STI's and EVOs to make them go faster, so why is that ANY different from what your saying!? you said you have to build up a stock si to get to the level of an STI or something? i mean, by that logic you can say you need to build a stock STI to get to the level of like a lambo (i know the example is a stretch, for just for example purpose) ...

my stock gsx was alright to drive, but it was more fun when i upgraded the turbo and built it up.. sound familiar .. ? ?

i just wanted a better first honda experience stock and im sure there is more to it, and hopefully someone can point it out . ... hence this thread. ..

hey, i put an SI up on the list of cars that are meant to be fast in my head, so i dont know why you're talking them down if you're a honda fan...

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
May feel like a toy but the Si is basically the same speed as a gsx stock for stock.
But his previous GSX was turbo charged. So he probably Lost 1/2 the torque in switching to the Si. He needs to get used to working the RPMS or trade in for a turbo car. GTI or Cobalt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
car was warmed up.

well, getting used to the rpm i could work on.. i want to keep this car b/c i need something reliable, so lets keep changing out for another car out of mind at the moment (im going to get another eclipse in summer, i just can't work on it and be out of a car at the moment, so in comes the honda)

back to the rpm, when i was flooring it, i was close to redline each time so im pretty sure whatever needed to kick in, would have at that time.. suggestion?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You're going to buy another Eclipse? Do you mean the lastest one that looks great but handles like a schoolbus? It's a good thing they have 100K mi/10yr warranties -you'll need it. I think the Lancer Evo is really cool too bad it's a four door and a Mitsubishi.
My first experience with i-Vtec was not so much getting pulled into my seat but just the way everything went hyper (speedometer shooting up, change in engine's sound, and whizzing down the highway). During my first oil change I remember some guy there had to have a sensor swapped out because the car (not a 8th gen) wouldn't kick into vtec -maybe that applies to you or you're just expecting the driving experience of a Superleggera out of a Civic? Good luck with the car (after you get your degree you should be able to unload it for a good price -it's a Honda)!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.