8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings; Thinking about installing the 3M paint shield on the front of my vehicle to prevent rock chips to the front of the hood. Any input on what brand i should go with? How durable is it? Anyone have any bad experiences with the product? or should i possible just look at purchasing a rock deflector to install on the front of my vehicle? This is an 2008 Honda Civic SI. Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's very durable. You should get 3 to 5 years of it looking great. After that it will show it's age.

But, the paint under it will be in pristine condition. That's the whole point of it. It's like a warrior's shield. At the end of the day the shield might be beat up, but the warrior is just fine.

I prefer 3M. I've found it holds up the best over the years. XPEL and VentureShield look better at first, but 3 or 4 years down the road the 3M looks better.

Keep it clean. Wash it by hand (touchless car washes are very hard on the stuff). Keep it waxed or sealed with a synthetic dye-free wax or sealant (NXT, Zaino Z2, XPEL just came out with a sealant).

Obviously it's expensive. Civics aren't exactly the target market for this stuff. It's rare for me to put it on a car under $40k. It's intended for cars that are expensive and this helps keep their value or people that just really love their car and don't want rock chips. So only you can decide if being rock chip free is worth the price to you.

There are two kinds of installers out there. Hand cutters and kit installers. A good hand cut always looks better, but a bad hand cut will ruin your paint and now you have to sue the guy. Picking a good installer is very important. Ask some questions. How long have they been in business? How long have they been doing paint protection film? Do they hand cut (bulk) or install kits? If kits, what brand of patterns do they use (VentureShield patterns, XPEL, ProForm, or do they "make" their own)? I'd be weary of the "make your own" unless they're a good shop that charges an arm and a leg. I've seen lots of these "we designed it ourselves" that just don't fit at all. Look at all the pictures of people that did it themselves with kits off ebay. They never fit.

Do they wrap the edges? That's a big one. I charge extra for it. But it provides a better looking install on the hood and you don't have to worry about rock chips right at the leading edge of the hood.

How large is the hood kit? Usually there's "standard" coverage which is between 12" and 18" up and "extended" which is about 24" up.

Does the bumper just cover the front or does it go from wheel well to wheel well?

I'd also recommend getting the top of the rear bumper done by the trunk opening to prevent luggage scratches.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
3m all the way, but now they have a spray on and when it dries its alsmost the same as 3m but better :).(this will cost allot)
But yeah just get some 3m film DIY it. It took me 9 hours to do my front bumber (not the stock bumper but aftermarket bumper) :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did the 3m on a vw bettle once about 3 years ago and its still kicking great. Liek stated before wash by hand and keep it maintained and you should have no problems. Its like hacing a screen cover on your phone, take it off and its mint! :badger:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wish i would of know about this stuff 2 years ago when i got my car new now the front is chipped up bad, but in the works of being repainted and im defiantly getting it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Friday is my big day i have decided to do the install its expensive but i can definetly see the benefits of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.