8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say that I already read through all the threads on this issue. However, I still have a few questions:

1. Can anyone running this with a supercharger tell me their setup?
2. A lot of people with a catch can say that a check valve is necessary in order to prevent air from blowing back through the PCV into the crankcase under boost. It seems like it would be true without a catch can as well, so why don't we need to worry about this w/o the catch can? Is the PCV valve not good enough?
3. Would not running a catch can affect supercharger longevity? An intake manifold doesn't have moving parts, so it doesn't matter as much, right?
4. Do any of the kits available (greddy, cusco, etc.) come with baffled cans? I am particularly interested in the greddy one.
5. Would it be ok to put a breather filter for the valve cover, or would it just get clogged and dirty? Also, this wouldn't affect boost pressure or AFR's, right?

Thanks for the any info you guys can provide!

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
I can answer a few of these for you.

#3.It mayt not affect the longevity of the S/C itself but it does help the motor that the S/C is bolted to last longer by keeping the engine a little cleaner from sludge buildup.I would say what is good for the goose is good for the gander in this case.

#5.Doing this is worse than just leaving the tube connected between the valvecover and the intake.There was an article in one of the magizines about it,maybe Modified or whichever one does the fact or fiction articles.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
i'm not running a check valve and so far so good. being SCed you should be alright. The catch can goes on that hose that comes out of the engine by the alternator and goes to the left side of the IM.

As far as #5, AJP does that so you can take it for what thats worth.

A catch can is a must on a K20, especially a boosted one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OOOHHHH...I'm such a noob!! The PCV recirculates into the intake before compression!:eekdancesmiley:
As far as SC longevity, I was wondering if the sludge would affect it since, unlike the intake manifold, it as moving parts...

So are any of the catch cans baffled? You know, greddy, cusco, etc?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm late on this topic, but I'll post anyway.

The catch can is also good because you're not really worried about the sludge(you are actually) gumming things up. You're worried about oil actually getting into your cylinders. When you mix oil and gas it lowers the octane. If you get enough oil while you boost you can hypothetically detonate when you otherwise wouldn't.

Also, without a turbo or SC air never goes back into the crank case. Because you're always under vacuum. But with a SC or turbo you are pressurizing the intake manifold which is directly linked to the crank case throught he PCV tube. Therefore you are also turbo charging your crank case :) And the whole point of the PCV is to release pressure from the crank case, not provide a means for charging it up even more :) Motors don't like that. That's why you need a 1 way check valve.

I'm using the greddy catch can on procivic, and a check valve I got from lowes. I'm looking for a better check valve though. Teh one I'm using isn't really intended for I'm using it for.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, but the SC only compresses the air AFTER the throttle body, and the PCV recirculates into the intake tube(not under boost), so SC's don't need check valves.

I ended up running the 5zigen catch can. It was much more expensive than the others, but I called the guys and talked to them about it and it has a good baffle system, while you need to make one for all the other catch cans out there. I like it, but don't know where to stick it...Haven't had time to figure that out and actually install it.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
How much did that cost?

Also, I'm confused still for the SC. If it compresses the air after the throttle body, it's still the same. There is pressurized air in the intake manifold, which is where the PCV ventilates into, therefore you are charging the PCV. But I'm using an R18, I'm not sure how the PCV runs on a K20, if that's what you're running.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
meaning the compressed air never enters the intake manifold,it goes straight into the ports in the head and thus straight into the combustion chambers...so there is no place for pressurized air to go into the crankcase between the engine and the source of the compressed air,unlike a turbo which has alot of space in between the compressor and the manifold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.