8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have what sounds like noisy valves/rockers when accelerating at any pace beyond "gas conserving mode". Sitting in the garage, the engine revs very nicely without any valve-like clatter. Out on the road, and especially when accelerating quickly, there is a good bit of clatter from 2-5K RPM. Is this normal, or does it indicate that I need to adjust the valves, or is this some other noise that I'm just misinterpreting?

I can plainly hear it, but I don't think a phone video would capture it. It might...

Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A bit more info -

The car has 190K miles, the first-gen K&N Typhoon intake (which is very close to the dash), and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. The cat-back isn't terribly loud, but may also contribute to the sounds I'm hearing.

Looking in to getting the timing chain, tensioner and VTC gear replaced, as well as a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Honda says that our valves have to be replaced every 63,000 miles (100,000 kilometres), would try and adjust them yourself before dropping money where you don't need it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You mean adjusted, not replaced, correct? Yeah, I think that's my first step. Will pick up some gauges and and a new gasket soon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Loud valve chatter usually means loose valves. If you've never had it done then it sounds like it's time!

I did mine recently. Do you have the Si or R18? I can't say for the Si, but I did my R18's valves recently and it's a pretty straightforward job, just tight on the intake side (low clearance).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello -

The valves were pretty much in spec, but some needed minor tweaking. Turns out the noise was mostly related to the short ram intake. With the SRI, the driver gets a good shot of intake noise, including things that sound like the valvetrain. I went back to a stock intake recently, and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey thanks for the response. I have stock intake but still get pretty much the type of noise you are describing. I figured out yesterday I have a broken transmission mount so I hope once this is fixed that will be what the problem has been. but if not I suppose I could maybe need a valve adjustment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts