8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, my si has 162k miles, went to lash my valves to the correct clearance and in the process paint the valve cover and replace my leaking gasket there. Ended up not lashing the valves to the correct clearance and now my idle jumps a bit and when accelerating it kind of bucks a bit. I plan on bringing it in to get done correctly, but in the meantime need it for transportation, how detrimental would it be to use for about a week like this without driving it insanely hard?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm being honest I don't know, dropped it at honda dealer earlier today, had to drive about 40 miles on it, hope nothing bad happened. I'm now more concerned because my camshaft did get water on it and started to turn a tinge brown, I wiped those areas where water was present off with a paper towel and changed the oil since a fair bit of water was there, how detrimental is that?

·
Registered
849 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the water. Too loose would be less performance and acceleration and too tight is "I think" a ticking sound and the risk of the valve collapsing to the piston. Did you adjust when the engine was stone cold?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the vehicle back from the dealer, they said the clearances were all way too loose. I presume it is because my car may not have been down completely in temp? Even though it was a good 5 hours of sitting after I last drove it, either way issue is fixed, and hopefully no damage done, appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't say I know if it will or not. I can say it won't hurt to have it done. Unless you do it yourself in which case, leave it to a dealer to lash your valves, my mess up could have detrimentally hurt my engine. Maybe post on Hondata forums about that, I have little to no knowledge in tuning which I think may help, EFICU should be able to help you over there, he has a lot of knowledge in tuning and fuel trims and common errors on eighth gens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the vehicle back from the dealer, they said the clearances were all way too loose.
Driving 40-50 miles with loose valves is not a big deal. Forget it ever happened and move on.

Too loose = exhaust valves can get damaged from heat (if the valve doesn't push into the seat fully, it won't shed off excess heat into the block). However, this is usually more of a problem for burned spots around the valve due to it not seating correctly (from carbon build-up, etc).

Too tight = engine runs fine, but makes a ticking sound. Will lead to excessive wear around the valve seat and in the valve train components.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ironically all of my valves were too loose or way too loose and I heard the ticking sound though.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ironically all of my valves were too loose or way too loose and I heard the ticking sound though.
I haven't done one on a K20 but I saw a youtube video about it and it looks to be a much bigger headache than the 1 cam R18 which is very easy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah the exhaust is pretty much close to impossible, unless you have backwards knees or have the engine out, exhaust valves are almost impossible to get to

1 - 11 of 11 Posts