8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so much of today's culture fueled by attempts to appeal to young guys and adolescent behavior, it's refreshing to see road safety advocates taking on the boys-will-be-boys attitude to try to stop speeding and reckless driving.
Women young and old and even a young guy in an Australian television ad crook their little fingers knowingly as they watch young male drivers speed and drive recklessly. You can see the ad at
NSW.gov road safety add

The not-so-subtle message to young drivers: Drive like a jerk, and others will question your manhood
The ad, and the $1.6 million cost, are in response to the fact that 40 percent of road deaths annually in New South Wales are caused by crashes in which speeding is involved. This accounts for some 220 fatalities and more than 4,000 injuries a year.
Meantime, in the United States, car crashes kill some 5,500 young people between 16 and 20 years of age each year, and it's well known here that young guys are more inclined than young female drivers to take risks on the road.
Indeed, according to a policy statement issued in December by the American Academy of Pediatrics, 38 percent of young male drivers killed in 2004 were speeding compared with 25 percent of young female drivers.
Interesting twist on the normal speeding combat. Thoughts? Think this would fly in the states?
Personally I think its damn funny, but I don't see much possibility here.

Anyone know what the finger wag means? Aussie insult?

source: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071121/OPINION03/711210368/1149

·
Registered
868 Posts
after watching it... i think the it means the same here as it does in the land down under...

...you have small package...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts