8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys use gps in your civic?

There's a $200 model from Best Buy.

Is it good for travelling across Canada?

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Nuvi's have had some good reviews. El Cheapo... it's a good price.

A navigation unit is what it should be, get's you from point a to point b without any loss of direction. When you start to put too much into a navi device then you risk the chance of pullign the drivers attention away from driving and listening to the Navigation direction.

Garmin and Tom Tom are the two major players in the navi industry, but ther are a lot of other players in the market too.

For a Navi $200 that's a great deal! Garmin is a reputable name. *I just don't like small screens*

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Basically you want one with a SiRF star III navi chip in it - look at the details of the product for it - its the best there is commercially available.

One of the reasons why its more important here is because Canadian consumers can't use the nation's ground base relay system it's on a different channel.

And WAAS is really only avail in the US - you might piggy back on a signal if your close enough to the boarder. (WAAS being the ground relay system - Wide area augmentation system)

That leaves you with the satellites - which navi's can usually track 12 from - but you'll prob only get 2-3. Unless you use a SSIII chip ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Get a Garmin or Mio. Just got back from buffalo (i live in T.O) and the experience w/ driving around the states was SO MUCH easier w/ the aid of a GPS.

Don't get something too cheap though. A GPS unit that updates like once every 3 seconds is not that great ~ especially if you're on the highway. A garmin or mio is the way to go ( info from a friend who sells Electronics/comps)

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
i have two... one is a nokia n95 with garmin loaded onto it and the other is a project im working on with a computer in my car 10" screen in the dash and the gps puck on my roof :D...

my n95 garmin gpdates once ever 1/2sec. and the iguadance or the car updates every 10ms and tracks up to 30 satilites.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
i have two... one is a nokia n95 with garmin loaded onto it and the other is a project im working on with a computer in my car 10" screen in the dash and the gps puck on my roof :D...

my n95 garmin gpdates once ever 1/2sec. and the iguadance or the car updates every 10ms and tracks up to 30 satilites.

sorry, but theres no way you can track all 31* satellites...

they are geostationary for a reason and i'd say you'll prob get 12 at most

*edit: i said 30 but i just did a quick look up and a 31st was launched a few days ago - woohoo!

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Get a Garmin or Mio. Just got back from buffalo (i live in T.O) and the experience w/ driving around the states was SO MUCH easier w/ the aid of a GPS.

Don't get something too cheap though. A GPS unit that updates like once every 3 seconds is not that great ~ especially if you're on the highway. A garmin or mio is the way to go ( info from a friend who sells Electronics/comps)
What Navi updates every 3secs?
yikes!

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
sorry, but theres no way you can track all 31* satellites...

they are geostationary for a reason and i'd say you'll prob get 12 at most

*edit: i said 30 but i just did a quick look up and a 31st was launched a few days ago - woohoo!

lol not what i ment... it has a capability to track up to 30 at once... not that it dose. it like you said track at most 10-15... but with the sirifII chipset you can only track 8MAX

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
the cheaper units and some dumb ppl still use the sirfII, its crap but its cheap...

I'll post some pics of what i did to mine :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I have a TomTome One XL. It is a very simple unit, but it suites me needs. I like the fact that id does have a larger screen then most others and I don't really care for the text-to-speech feature anyway. I just like having a simple map of the area I'm in.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts