8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car doesn't start after i tried installing fogs.
all it does is lose power, radio doesn't work now, it was working before.
When i try to start up the car

When I try to turn on my low beams

·
Registered
105 Posts
um... battery?

i wish i could be of more help... if it were me, ide try taking the battery to a local spot and get it checked out. Check the battery wires and if u have any electrical mods, take a glance at those as well. Hopefully it wont be a short of somesort...

·
Premium Member
30,957 Posts
batter died check the terminals to make sure they are contacting completely.

·
Registered
362 Posts
did you wire them directly to the battery as well?
i know of some people that have done that and have had there battery life go down faster than others wired properly

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is that, it was working fine. But then, I was installing the OEM stock fog harness (the first one to ever come out) for the 2006 civic sedan.
Link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Everything was fine but my fogs wouldn't turn on no matter what I did. Then, i heard a popping noise and that's when the problems began.
Funny thing is that i wiggled the fog wiring and the navigation started working again. Somehow, i wiggled the harness by mistake and the radio won't play, it'll just reboot over and over.
Did i short something out?

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you wire them directly to the battery as well?
i know of some people that have done that and have had there battery life go down faster than others wired properly
No, I just explained what I did. The battery could've have gone bad in 5 mins after it was perfectly fine. I'll buy a new battery tomorrow morning anyway.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The thing is that, it was working fine. But then, I was installing the OEM stock fog harness (the first one to ever come out) for the 2006 civic sedan.
Link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Everything was fine but my fogs wouldn't turn on no matter what I did. Then, i heard a popping noise and that's when the problems began.
Funny thing is that i wiggled the fog wiring and the navigation started working again. Somehow, i wiggled the harness by mistake and the radio won't play, it'll just reboot over and over.
Did i short something out?
sounds like you shorted out some wiring harness somewhere.....sidenote- always disconnect the battery whenever doing electrical work to a car

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
but listening to the videos more it really sounds like a dead battery.... take the battery out and take to any auto parts store like Autozone they should be able to test the battery

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anybody have the helms manual?
I think I know what I did wrong. I may have crossed the wires on the blue plug.
Next to your foot-rest/dead pedal, there is a plastic cover. When you take it out, you will see two white plugs and one blue/purple plug. That plug has 14 pins.
On the manual, it says to attach the wire to the upper far right but it was already taken. So, I took that one out and put the blue wire from the fog harness in there. But, next to that slot, there was another wire, brownish/greenish to the right. Now, I think i might have mixed those two in an effort to get it all back to stock.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here are pictures(and yes, I'm dumb for doing that but i'm running on 8 hrs of sleep this week so far)

Of course, mine wasn't the one in the middle but to the far left:

And now that i look at this DIY:http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/13214-diy-install-guide-oem-fogs.html, his harnesses are in the same spot as the installation pdf i posted earlier.
So, the Sedan and Coupe have different harnesses.

Now, I seriously need to know if the wires i put back in there are in the correct order(because i moved both) so I'd know what i fried(if something did happen). I switched them back and forth twice and then this thing happened where the car wouldn't start and that *POP* sound.

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the popping sound def. sounds like a fuse unless the wires just touched and created a arc
Fuses are fine. Maybe the popping sound was in my head. But now I need to know which wires go where. There are only two wires i need to worry about. The colors of the wires on the male side 14pin plug do not match the female's purple 14pin plug

·
Registered
12,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And all this crap started because I wanted to get better fogs with the OEM harness I had so i could see the fog light lit up on the dashboard

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
after you install your fogs on your bumper there should be a brown connector on the passanger front end next to your wind shield wiper reservor, then interior wiring is plug with a brown connector which is located under your dash, it should be some where above the break it might be tucked..good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.