8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, well, i recently placed my order for some progress sway bars and i just have a few questions for owners with progress sways or aftermarket sways before i put them on.

i know there is a thread on here with a civic coupe with the bracket that the sway bar holds on gets torn off the car and hangs underneath the car. have most of you had the same problem? if so, how long before you noticed it (after installing the aftermarket sway) and have you done anything about it? i also know that there is a guy who plans on making reinforced brackets for the sway but hasnt come out with it yet, so i was just trying to see how much more stress this will cause for the brackets on the car.

i live in a place where salt is used religiously on roads when it starts to snow, so... salt leads to corrosion, and that's bad if the sway tears off the brackets anyways.

thanks!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've had mine on for about a year now and it has survived 2 track days and probably will survive many more. Then again I have an Si so I can't speak for the mounting brackets for the coupe.

·
Registered
7,520 Posts
the endlinks breaking were more of a problem for the regular coupes. the Si's should be fine with stock endlinks but if you're like me then go to corsport and ask tai for the reinforced v2 ones they have for 50 bucks.

·
Webby's Minion
7,058 Posts
It wasn't the endlinks breaking that the O.P. was referring to. It was the support brackets on the car that the endlinks attach to that were breaking.

I have the Progress rear sway on my sedan. I haven't taken it to any extremes because of the bracket issue. I would suggest that you do the same. I would also suggest applying a liberal amount of grease to all the joints (or maybe even using WD-40) to help keep salt water from penetrating through.

If you are ultra-paranoid about the brackets breaking on you, even for regular driving, I would suggest that you switch back to your stock sway.

Another option you may want to look at is the BattleEndless Rear Sway. It is about 1 to 2 mm thinner than the Progress sway and it may be the difference between a broken bracket and one that'll last.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
you would get more performance gain out of 4 camber bolts for the front and a better alignment than stock. The stock alignment makes the car push. That way, you wouldn't even have to worry about broken brackets.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've read that it was both the si and the non-si problem. that's why i posted in the si forum. also, has anyone had their bracket break yet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
im a certified honda technician and all i can say is the si and coupe sway bars and endlinks are the same part for both so if one had a problem then both would have a problem

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Ive noticed anyone who has had the endlink problem lives in extreme cold weather conditions. Maybe coincidence but i think itd be safe to say that it was due to their cities dumping tons of salt on the icey roads. The person who started the 1st thread on this stated that he believed the problem could have been caused by a patch of big ice chunks he drove over. The coroded endlinks might have been struck by a chunk breaking it off. Who knows though. I installed my progress rsb a few days ago, but i'll check on the links every month or so just to make sure nothings going wrong. If anyone has any testimonials on someone in NON cold weather with the problem please post it up.

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
didnt one of the Si race cars that had a upgraded sway bar break also? and they welded it afterwards?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
didnt one of the Si race cars that had a upgraded sway bar break also? and they welded it afterwards?
thats pretty possible since its a full on race car. those cars have suspension components that break all the time. Ive seen some Formula D cars that had coilovers snap while countersteering out of a slide.

·
Webby's Minion
7,058 Posts
Ive noticed anyone who has had the endlink problem lives in extreme cold weather conditions. Maybe coincidence but i think itd be safe to say that it was due to their cities dumping tons of salt on the icey roads. The person who started the 1st thread on this stated that he believed the problem could have been caused by a patch of big ice chunks he drove over. The coroded endlinks might have been struck by a chunk breaking it off. Who knows though. I installed my progress rsb a few days ago, but i'll check on the links every month or so just to make sure nothings going wrong. If anyone has any testimonials on someone in NON cold weather with the problem please post it up.
eugenekim.net broke his on the track. This was in California during the summer, so he wasn't in salty road conditions in the cold. Post link:http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/1061003-post146.html

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
thats pretty possible since its a full on race car. those cars have suspension components that break all the time. Ive seen some Formula D cars that had coilovers snap while countersteering out of a slide.
yeah but isnt it coincidental that it broke at the exact same location where everyone else broke theirs? that race car showed that location is weak.. so it should be justified that ours will eventually break at the same spot too.. and since we are hearing people breaking it within a year.. means this is something we should fix and not ignore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts