8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read the sticky for this very topic above. It has fallin a bit short and not logically accurate. I researched a bit because it didn't make sence from my past experience in the field. I came to conclude the following,

Stock tire sizes as recommended by Honda for the Si,

215/45 R17 the tire diameter is 24.6"
215/40 R18 " " " " 24.8"

As suggested by the sticky here

225/40 R18 the tire diameter is 25.1"

It is no wonder some members have experienced tire rubbing and such using 225/40 R18 whereas they are generally almost 1/2 of an inch taller than stock. Also some of you scratch your heads thinking member A is BS ing about a time slip that is quicker than yours. You have several mods and he has none. Never considering you may have missed your setup with your first mod. Your tires are taller, you just geared it for the highway! Not the dragstrip or getting out of corners quicker.

So how about this,

225/35 R18 the tire diameter is 24.2"

I think it is a better choice. This size is not as popular as the 225/40 R18 and generally will cost more per tire. You will likely get pulled over less by 5 o because you speedo is closer to the actual than with the taller tire that makes your speedo read a slower mph. Thats right, your speeding and you didn't even know it. Good discussion to have with a judge if you have a speeding ticking. Blame it on improper tire sizing. GL though! So your speedo will click a few extra with these but it is soo close. Now time to research wheel widths to maintain proper aspect ratio. Someone think they know. Post it.

Heres another final thought,
The difference between 225/40 R18 and 225/35 R18 is almost 1 whole inch in height. I'd say that free ET.

:vtec:

http://http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info. And that is why the tire size recommended for HFP 18" and Mugen GP 18" is 215/40/18. Also, Mugen Si come in 215/40/18.
Hope it helped you. I guess if I were from Cali more would agree. Atleast theres one that agrees; thanks. Oh well, glad to be a Canuck.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've read the sticky for this very topic above. It has fallin a bit short and not logically accurate. I researched a bit because it didn't make sence from my past experience in the field. I came to conclude the following,

Stock tire sizes as recommended by Honda for the Si,

215/45 R17 the tire diameter is 24.6"
215/40 R18 " " " " 24.8"

As suggested by the sticky here

225/40 R18 the tire diameter is 25.1"

It is no wonder some members have experienced tire rubbing and such using 225/40 R18 whereas they are generally almost 1/2 of an inch taller than stock. Also some of you scratch your heads thinking member A is BS ing about a time slip that is quicker than yours. You have several mods and he has none. Never considering you may have missed your setup with your first mod. Your tires are taller, you just geared it for the highway! Not the dragstrip or getting out of corners quicker.

So how about this,

225/35 R18 the tire diameter is 24.2"

I think it is a better choice. This size is not as popular as the 225/40 R18 and generally will cost more per tire. You will likely get pulled over less by 5 o because you speedo is closer to the actual than with the taller tire that makes your speedo read a slower mph. Thats right, your speeding and you didn't even know it. Good discussion to have with a judge if you have a speeding ticking. Blame it on improper tire sizing. GL though! So your speedo will click a few extra with these but it is soo close. Now time to research wheel widths to maintain proper aspect ratio. Someone think they know. Post it.

Heres another final thought,
The difference between 225/40 R18 and 225/35 R18 is almost 1 whole inch in height. I'd say that free ET.

http://http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

But 225 45 R17 works on 17x7. Tire diameter is 25.0 I have this on my FG2 with stock suspension and no rubbing.

235 40 R17 works. Tire diameter is 24.4
245 40 R17 rubs. Tire diameter is 24.7
225 40 R18 rubs. Tire diameter is 25.1. Which is just 0.1" larger than the tires I run at the same tire width. The only difference would be the wider rim 17x8. Could just the rim make the difference?

So its not just diameter, but width, offset, lowered or stock, type of driving (autox, mountain, spirited, freeway) all play a part in determining if it'll fit or not.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
i'm trying to figure out if 235/40/r18 tires will fit a coupe with 18x9+35 wheels. I remember having 225's and they rubbed a bit on the inside of the wheel well by the gas spout but I forget if I was still rocking stupid amounts of camber then or not.

I need new tires and currently have 215's but that's a bit more of a stretch than I want so i'm considering tires a buddy has for sale that are 235's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.