8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed by the service manager at my local Honda dealership that the stock tires that come on the 2007 Honda Civic Si--the Michelin Pilot MXM4 215/45/17 were discountinued by Michelin, unbeknowst to Honda.
I found this out when I had my local tire store put a new Michelin Pilot MXM4 tire on my Si. When the car was pulling strongly to the right, I went to my local Honda dealer and had the service mgr take the car for a test drive. He confirmed that the new tire was the reason the car was pulling and that while the new tire's specifications were the same as the stock tires, you could visibly see their differences ( the new Pilot MXM4's don't have the raised lip that the stock 07 Si's Pilots have and the sidewalls are different also).
I decided to just get rid of the stock Michelins and go with some Pirelli Pzero Nero m+S's ( which is a significantly superior tire to the Michelins. * I had the Pirelli's on my 2005 RSX Type S and they were excellent ).
I then called Honda corporate and told them what happened. They put the blame on Michelin. So I called Michelin. Took them a while to find the information on the discontinued information. basically they offered to replace my 3 stock tires with the new pilots, so as to correct the issue. but to be honest, that to me, admits guilt.
Not sure if this qualifies as a lemon law but I'll look into it. I put the blame on Michelins and not Honda.
This whole experience has cost me a lot of time and $$ ( having to replace my new tires ( the stocks only had 3,600 miles ) with a new set of Pirelli's but now the issue is why would Honda knowingly have their Si models equipped with a tire that was discontinued?
I purchased my Honda Civic Si on June 22nd., so this issue is very new. No doubt there are thousands of Civic Si's on dealer lots with the same exact tires as my Si has. What are those new owners going to do when they get a flat? and find out their original equipment tires are no longer being produced and are replaced with tires that while specificed the same way, they're different.?

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
"unbeknowst" --What a word. I wonder who made it up.
By the way, why not take Michelin's offer on getting 3 new tires so all 4 will match?
Is there something wrong with the "new version" of these Pilots?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
truflip said:
"unbeknowst" --What a word. I wonder who made it up.
By the way, why not take Michelin's offer on getting 3 new tires so all 4 will match?
Is there something wrong with the "new version" of these Pilots?
I'm going to guess that Shakespeare made that word up. He made up lots and lots of words we commonly use today.

While I agree that the stock tires did leave something to be desired, it does suck having to replace the three that were still good prematurely. It's just wasteful.

·
Banned
441 Posts
civsnake said:
I'm going to guess that Shakespeare made that word up. He made up lots and lots of words we commonly use today.

While I agree that the stock tires did leave something to be desired, it does suck having to replace the three that were still good prematurely. It's just wasteful.
They didn't give u a voucher or nothin? That blows

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
" unbeknowst" . yeah i think I massively mispelled that word. Sorry. Not an English major. haha.
I guess I should have said " unknown to me at the time" ??
Maybe Shakespeare made up that word.
Oxford dictionary--unbeknownst:unknown."they did it unbeknown to us", without our being aware of it.
anyways. It is a huge waste of tire but oh well. My Pirelli's on my 05 RSX T-s were excellent tires all around so most likely they'll be the same way with my Si.

·
Premium Member
22,779 Posts
unbeknownst is a word fyi & it was only missing one letter in the thread...
un·be·knownst (ŭn'bĭ-nōnst') Pronunciation Key
adj. Unbeknown.
adv. Without the knowledge of a specified party. Used with to: Our cousin had been ill for years, unbeknownst to the family.

and in response to your post..... i think you should call up Michelin & demand since your OEM tires are no longer made for them to replace all 4 with the HPT-package tires (high performance tires) which are Michelin Pilot Exaltos. that should be more of a punishment to them given they are the stickier more FUN tires in the OEM world of the Si trim level.

worth a shot methinks...... :vtec:

·
Registered
884 Posts
MXM4's are just about the junkiest tires around... look at tirerack and view the ratings or ask any tire professional and they will tell you that they are overall garbage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the all season. I'm getting some Pirelli PZero Nero M+S size 215/45/17's installed today. I had them on my 2005 Acura RSX Type S and they were noticeably quieter, handled better both year round.
I'm not done though in pursuing this matter. I work at the CBS television station here in Philly so I plan on talking to some of the investigative reporters and news anchors. Either Honda and or Michelin should be held responsible for this.

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
marksi07 said:
the all season. I'm getting some Pirelli PZero Nero M+S size 215/45/17's installed today. I had them on my 2005 Acura RSX Type S and they were noticeably quieter, handled better both year round.
I'm not done though in pursuing this matter. I work at the CBS television station here in Philly so I plan on talking to some of the investigative reporters and news anchors. Either Honda and or Michelin should be held responsible for this.
everyone has warranty on tires...
stop your bitching and accept the deal from Michelin. Then, sell those and you wil get your money back.

·
Banned
717 Posts
i dont seehow thats true. i have TONS of them in stock and there is no discontiued status listed on them at all. In fact, I was just at the Michelin/BFG plant in FT Wayne the other week and nothing was mentioned about this. check our website, use the link above

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.