8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So umm i didn't really know where to post this...

******' today one of the wost days of my life -___-. I was trying to be a good friend and give my friend a ride to his job interview after school. So this is like over two hours after school is done (high school) and i leave the parkinglot. Not SPEEDING off... speed limit's like ten or fifteen i was probably between fifteen to twenty, cause you know i wanna get away. Anyways in doing so, since the parking lot is pretty empty i go around the speed bumps instead of going over... and not like trying to slide or anything, just going around, maybe a little sharp but noone really thought so- EXCEPT a COP! yeah a couple blocks down he pops out of no where, and pulls me over. YELLS at me, takes my license and registration. And after a long duration he calls me out of the car and tells me that, he's giving me a ticket for EXHIBITION OF SPEED and running through a STOP SIGN! im like =o i didn't even know what that law ment until recently. But the cop said yeah i could hear your engine from far away. i didn't even rev or burnout -___-. and the stop sign was torn down and outta place seriously, out of visibility. But yeah the cop said i wans't gunning ya' but to me it looked like you were going forty or fifty. i was like thanks but there's no way in hell, even on hopes and dreams that my car can go to 0-40 or 50 way under thirty yards, and then slow down fast enough to go over a little dip, to prevent from ******* the car up.

Yeah the cop was a ****, ******' bragging about how he can go fast whenever he wants cause he's a cop, but i can't, and that if me and my friends died, he wouldn't loose anysleep. When couple of friends walked by, and checked up on us, cop yelled at them too don't know why.

So yeah i have to go to court in a month -___- any comments?

·
Registered
431 Posts
dere-licte said:
So yeah i have to go to court in a month -___- any comments?

I'll be the first to say it...don't drive in such a way that you'll attract attention to yourself unless you want to increase your chances of meeting the local law enforcement representatives.

Like 'em or not, traffic rules exist and you have to follow them.

That said, there's no reason for the officer to shout at you unless you're disrespecting him.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Tastycakes said:
Take a pic of the busted stop sign and you can get that one dropped easily.

I found some really good info here. Seems he has to prove that you were showing off to get that exhibition of speed ticket to stick. Check out this:

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=140443
i agree w/ this.

if he didn't clock you & doesn't have proof, then it was simply a guess at your speed.

I think you can get out of this.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sorry to hear about that dere-licte. Cops are humans too and there is always people who are just a plain jerk to everyone. At least once in life you will cross paths with one.

Heres mine story dere-licte.
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=511813
(heh yes it is a CRSX link)

Made a u-turn going about 25-30mph and I stop because of traffic. Cop sneaks up to my car (my mom's loaner car) and bangs on the trunk 3x times and yells at me saying I was going 65mph in a 45mph zone. Cops usually show up in court in NC but this guy didn't. I had a lawyer and the cop obviously could not prove his BS story so I guess he decided not to show up. I don't have attitude with cops. I'm actually scare of them. I'm still young guy (19) but this cop was complete a-hole to me the whole time even though I was trying to be friendly at most. It felt like Counter Strike with an admin whos 10 years younger than you abusing his powers just because you owned him for countless rounds.

Anyhow, if you can get a lawyer. That way the court can't just dish out any punishment for you and you can fight back. Yea you might end up paying the lawyer more than court fees or w/e. But it is seriously worth it than all the trouble you will have to go thru if you didn't have a lawyer.

Another reason why to get a lawyer.

I got in trouble with the law when I was 15 which I won't say because I am still disappointed in myself to this day. I had to serve 48hrs of community service and 1year probation. Mom help me out with her lawyer but I had to spent my entire summer paying her back.

During my community service work I bump into this girl. She was pretty much in the same boat as me. But the problem was, she didn't get a lawyer for her case. They pretty much dish out any punishment on her and she was force to accept. She had to do 1 year probation and 180 hours of community service. I thought 48hrs lasted a lifetime but 180! Jeez...

Well I talk enough. If you can't get a lawyer (seeing how your still in school and studying). Get your parents to help you.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
that and their radar guns are based off of a time vs. distance graph, so he has to be at certian angles to even make an accurate read, and without any proof that u were speeding he has no right giving u a ticket for it, try n find some 0-60 times or distances on the civic and bring that with you

·
Registered
619 Posts
if he didn't clock you & doesn't have proof, then it was simply a guess at your speed.

I think you can get out of this.
They can legally give a ticket by "guessing" (not sure of the technical term), at least that is what a cop told me here. The cop has to take some kind of speed test for it every year or so and be within a couple mph of the actual speed of the vehicle.
He gave me a good example of why he would have to give a ticket like that...he was outside his car and saw a kid almost run over some kids and chased him down gave him a speeding ticket..basically..long story short.

·
Registered
522 Posts
FOR SURE take a pic of the stop sign if its really busted and stuff and about the speed that sounds like a big load of bullshit the guy is claiming you were practically autocrossing... but w.e if i were you go to the "ask a cop thread"

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50425&highlight=cop+thread

because ive personally have never heard of this "guesstimating speed" that s9ounds like when you get pulled over without a radar and they tell you " i COULD give you a ticket right now but im going to let it slide " BS from my understanding no radar, laser, air patrol or drafting for a mile the no speeding ticket.. maybe he could've thrown a w reckless driv but he didn't so w.e thats my opinion but again go ask the pros on the cop thread

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50425&highlight=cop+thread

i hope this is helpful, good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
They can legally give a ticket by "guessing" (not sure of the technical term), at least that is what a cop told me here. The cop has to take some kind of speed test for it every year or so and be within a couple mph of the actual speed of the vehicle.
He gave me a good example of why he would have to give a ticket like that...he was outside his car and saw a kid almost run over some kids and chased him down gave him a speeding ticket..basically..long story short.
This is true, most departments run their officers through a training course that they have to stand on the side of the street and guess how fast a car is going, base on how fast it takes a car to get from point "A" to point "B". The charges on this case probably wont drop. They would probably turn the citation into a "defected spedometer". Less points, Less Fine.

As for the Stop Sign. Take a picture immediately (try to take it with a cam, that can produce a date on the picture.) With this, you have proof that the sign has been damaged.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts