8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am applying for a UC and was wondering if the students attending these universities can help me in providing some information about how well these schools are, social status of these schools, and the pre-med is like. I've narrowed my decision to UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Riverside and UC Santa Barbara. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hmmm... what is your major?

From the list you provided, UC Davis is pretty much above all the others.

IMO, UC's are overrated. If you want to go to the competitive ones, go to UC Berkeley or UCLA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
he is correct. depends on your gpa and SAT/ACT scores man. what field of medicine do you want to get into?
irvine and davis are not bad schools at all for medicine. imho i love uci. cant go wrong with davis either. i really wouldnt recomment ucr or ucsb. as far as social life, davis is in the middle of nowhere. you are stuck where you are. parties at davis are pretty bomb though. uci however is at the center of everything. cant go wrong with the weather, their gym is awesome, and the social life in general is awesome! i personally think uci and ucd stand the same academically, it just depends on whether you want to be in norcal or socal. good luck!

·
Banned
796 Posts
Dude, I've been there so I can somewhat relate to your dilemma. To be honest, gizboo hit it right on the head. You can read a million reviews about how blahblah school is better than blahblahblah school. You know what? It doesn't matter how good the school is. It can be the top in the nation but once you get there you might not feel you belong. I was very close to going to UC Riverside for their UCLA/UCR 7 year BA/MD degree. I notified UCR the week before school started that I'd like to get a refund for everything and decided not to go. Of course I lost some of the money such as tuition/room and board deposits but it was okay with me. It just wasn't the right school for me. I wasn't really feeling the atmosphere. I'm now going to a community college, but I have my heart set on going to USC. Not only did I change my major in this time period, but I have had the opportunity to visit some of the schools you listed. Some of my best friends go to UCLA, UCSD, and UCI (I live literally down the street from UCI). They've given me the pros and cons of each school, but I toured USC myself with one of their student tour guides and it seriously is the school for me. So anyways, just take a tour of your prospective schools. They offer many tour programs during this time of year for prospective freshmen. Take one up whenever you're around the area. I mean, you are going to be spending four years (maybe more) of your life there, I wouldn't let a bunch of random people on an internet car forum (no offense, you guys are awesome, but still) to persuade you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are going into the medical field then why would you not include UCSD in your decision. UCSD has got some of the best Natural Sciences in the world.

UCR is also very good for placement in med school.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I know about UCSD, but I'm not sure my scores will allow me to get accepted. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess my choices are now narrowed down to UCI and UCD and I'll probably give UCSD a try. Won't hurt to try, right? As far as UCSB and UCR.."onekrzyboi" why do you not like it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, I know about UCSD, but I'm not sure my scores will allow me to get accepted. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess my choices are now narrowed down to UCI and UCD and I'll probably give UCSD a try. Won't hurt to try, right? As far as UCSB and UCR.."onekrzyboi" why do you not like it?
my reasoning is because of the lack of competition at those schools. as a pre-pharm major myself you need to go to a more competitive school because it will look a lot better on your application to grad school. the competition in the medical field is getting harder and harder each year so you need to make yourself as competive as possible to strengthen your chances.

·
Registered
21 Posts
UCSD is not that tough to get in... I got in it and I'm not that smart! Although I decided to go to "State" instead (SDSU). Woot graduating in 2 WEEKS!
the competition has gotten a lot harder. the minimum gpa for uc's has been raised from 2.8 to 3.0 now. schools like uci and ucd that used to be easier schools to get into are quite hard to get into these days. ucsd i would say you would need a minimum of a 3.4 and a score of at least 1850 to even have a shot

·
Registered
25 Posts
Schools, whether it be an undergraduate school or graduate school, look for diversification as well. A lot of the boards look for "well rounded" individuals. A friend of mine attends Baylor Med and has a degree in English.

My point is that you need to put all your activities down including philanthropies, and sports, as well as hobbies. Schools are not looking for the "cookie cutter" graduate anymore.

the competition has gotten a lot harder. the minimum gpa for uc's has been raised from 2.8 to 3.0 now. schools like uci and ucd that used to be easier schools to get into are quite hard to get into these days. ucsd i would say you would need a minimum of a 3.4 and a score of at least 1850 to even have a shot
I understand that things are getting tougher in the medical world as well at the education world. This does not mean that you shouldn't attempt to go for whatever you want.

Honestly if you are having trouble getting into UCSD, or any other University, because you don't have a high school/Comm. College GPA of at least 3.4 then perhaps the medical profession is not for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Schools, whether it be an undergraduate school or graduate school, look for diversification as well. A lot of the boards look for "well rounded" individuals. A friend of mine attends Baylor Med and has a degree in English.

My point is that you need to put all your activities down including philanthropies, and sports, as well as hobbies. Schools are not looking for the "cookie cutter" graduate anymore.

I understand that things are getting tougher in the medical world as well at the education world. This does not mean that you shouldn't attempt to go for whatever you want.

Honestly if you are having trouble getting into UCSD, or any other University, because you don't have a high school/Comm. College GPA of at least 3.4 then perhaps the medical profession is not for you.
exactly what he said

·
Banned
796 Posts
Here's the profile of my friend, let's see what you guys think. 2300 SAT score. 3.8 unweighted GPA score. President of two clubs. Does extra curricular coursework such as volunteering, summer camp counselor, plays violin in orchestra (all-state and all-southern), son of a doctor, plays tennis on the tennis team, pretty well-rounded individual. Nothing on his record such as cheating, suspension, expulsion. Clean record. He was rejected from every school that he applied to except for UCSD. He applied to pretty much most of the UC's, no Cal-States, some private schools. What went wrong here? I have no idea. Maybe he put "undeclared" for his gender instead of his major? Who knows. He's a second year physics major now at UCSD. :coffee:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.