8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Quick question, ever since I installed my K&N SRI Typhoon for my R18, I've been noticing something weird every time I go to stop at a light.

When I come to a complete stop from going like 35-40mph and I put the car in neutral and roll to a stop, my RPM goes under the 500 mark (halfway under the 1 on the tach) and the car shakes a little as if it were going to stall on me.

Is this normal? Is this heatsoak? I'm not sure what's going on, and I dont know what is causing this, because I dont believe that the car ever did this when I had the stock air filter. And if I have to take it to the dealer, I am going to have to install the factory airbox so they dont try to blame the intake for this problem.

Any thoughts, ideas or explanations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
something is wrong, car should stay at around 750. check all of your hoses make sure you have no leak. how long have you had it on
Only about a week. Not too long. I'll double-check the hoses. I didnt hear any leaks when I first installed it, but I'll check again.

Any ideas what else it could be, if not the hoses?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
How much have you driven in the week since you installed it?

If the airflow around the MAF sensor, or the pressure in the manifold is different that it used to be the ECU could have to re-learn some of its idle settings. It may get better as you drive, or you could try resetting the ECU to force it to re-learn idle sooner.

If you already reset the ECU or if you have already racked up some miles I would recommend looking for a leak or other issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the tips guys.

Which one is the vacuum hose?

No leaks, so I dont think thats it.

And I should clarify, when it does fall under 500, the needle jumps back up to 750 immediately. So the car lingers for a tiny bit (when it feels like its going to shut off, but it jumps back up and it runs fine.

Any ideas???

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It did this when i installed my AEM CAI
I asked around, people said that it happens, I dunno about an air filter though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
yep same **** happening to me i instaled my fujita sri on my r18 and when i stand or red light my car starts shaking and rpms go little lower like its about to die .one time it died on me and i have auto but i realized it gave me more economy thats for shure

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
try getting "eather" and spraying it around the hoses, just because you cant here a leak or feel one doest mean its not there... if there is one then the rpm will shoot up as the engine will suck up the eather and the added fuel will make your rpms go up. get ACE "kft730"(brown writing) or better yet get "KFT735" (red writing)

truck stops and truck dealerships will have it. ACE with stock number "735" is the best for this.

this is perfectly safe and will clean carbon off your intake too... but dont spray it directly into the engine as this might cause your engine not to be happy...

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
also with my CAI the RPM searches alot, when i stop it momentarly drops for a fit then it goes up a bain, then when it sits, the fan turns on and the rpm fluctuates again, drops down and goes up... its the MAF sensor adjusting to the increased flow.

·
Registered
496 Posts
minor drop in rpm's is fine as you come to a stop, but it sounds like you guys are dipping to the point of almost stalling out. check all hose for leaks, try resetting you ecu and idling for a longer time, and make sure you have hose clamps on everything.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
minor drop in rpm's is fine as you come to a stop, but it sounds like you guys are dipping to the point of almost stalling out. check all hose for leaks, try resetting you ecu and idling for a longer time, and make sure you have hose clamps on everything.
My drops are at a random rate. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. I have checked the hoses and all the clamps are on tight, so I'm baffled. I just dont want the engine to malfunction and then the dealer blames it on my SRI and doesnt want to fix anything. The dip goes under 500 for a second, then jumps up to one, and idles out at 750.

I'm still confused and worried about this. Should I not be?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.