8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after all of the previous issues I've dealt with due to an incompetent service department, here's a new one:

My young Si (<12,000 miles) has spent the past few days in the body shop for minor cosmetic surgery (mostly wheel repair...courtesy of a not-so-attentive driver that forced me off the road). While checking my car's alignment, the tech noticed some oil leaking. So they sent the car off to service department. Keep in mind that this is a different (and more competent) dealership...

Lo and behold, they discover that one of the bolts in the oil pan had been broken off and was missing. Better yet, the previous dealer had used PUTTY to fill in the hole! I don't even have the words for this. Let's just say that I'll be on the phone with American Honda about this one (referring to that old case number). Surely this happened when the original dealer changed my Si's oil pump, which means that it's been like this for several thousand miles. I would have noticed it when changing my oil...except that the car has spent so much time in the shop that its already had 3 oil changes, and I haven't had to...unbelievable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So after all of the previous issues I've dealt with due to an incompetent service department, here's a new one:

My young Si (<12,000 miles) has spent the past few days in the body shop for minor cosmetic surgery (mostly wheel repair...courtesy of a not-so-attentive driver that forced me off the road). While checking my car's alignment, the tech noticed some oil leaking. So they sent the car off to service department. Keep in mind that this is a different (and more competent) dealership...

Lo and behold, they discover that one of the bolts in the oil pan had been broken off and was missing. Better yet, the previous dealer had used PUTTY to fill in the hole! I don't even have the words for this. Let's just say that I'll be on the phone with American Honda about this one (referring to that old case number). Surely this happened when the original dealer changed my Si's oil pump, which means that it's been like this for several thousand miles. I would have noticed it when changing my oil...except that the car has spent so much time in the shop that its already had 3 oil changes, and I haven't had to...unbelievable.

It seems that you are maintaining a steady blogging pace. Well done! Looking for more updates from your end. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received word that the car is fixed, along with clarification from the service manager...

It wasn't the oil pan. It was the timing chain cover. Apparently some brackets inside the assembly were installed backwards. And a bolt was sheared off, so they had covered it up with putty.

The dealership (David McDavid) is still trying to sort out whether this will be covered under warranty or whether they should bill the guilty party (Vandergriff) regarding this incident...but they're going to turn the car loose to me anyway, since it's not my fault this happened.

Thumbs up for DMcD :thumb: They may not have the flashiest dealership, but they've treated me well so far.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I love David McDavid. Bought my wife's CR-V from there. I felt very comfortable during the purchase and they were very respectful towards me and my wife (didn't treat us like kids even though we're relatively young).

Good to know that their service dept is decent as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts