8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far would you go to avoid a nasty, ugly license plate?

I have a galaxy grey FA5 Si. I missed my opportunity to renew my tags in the old blue on white (I think it is), and NYSDMV went to these ugly, nasty things.

I had been planning for two years now to get a personalized plate when renewing my registration. My plate starts with 'EHU' now - my wife, who doesn't like my car much, calls it 'EEEEEW'. I've had enough of that. Now, in order to get something that doesn't make the car look fugly, I will have to get a custom plate, with a sports or other logo. Further, that cuts the available characters to 6.

I wonder whether NYS has seen an increase in purchases of 'custom' plates since the nasty blue on yellow ones came out.

Am I insane to go through all this?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Governor Patterson. Blind (literally) Governor Patterson. It's a historical thing - that's the colors from when I was growing up. Says it will help traffic enforcement.
I want to know how these hideous plates can help traffic enforcement

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
i dont get it....your custom lettered plate is still gonna be the ugly orange/blue colors.
theres no escaping it. lol

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I been seeing those more & more & will hate til i got me notice thank god im still good for another year. as for going to custom plates i won't cause the prices went up and just not worth it. i rather spend some money on a plate cover with tints & take my chances of getting pulled over.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reality is I really don't care for any of the 'custom' plates they offer. I would much prefer a plain one, in a realistic color combination. But I'll pay whatever the extra fee is to avoid the nasty colors.

I work as a data analyst. I really wonder how many of these 'custom' plates they're selling in comparison to previous years. Have they seen a 50% increase since April, when the blue on yellow became the standard? It could be completely intentional, as yet another way to bolster the state budget - drive more people to buy these plates, bring in more money.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The reality is I really don't care for any of the 'custom' plates they offer. I would much prefer a plain one, in a realistic color combination. But I'll pay whatever the extra fee is to avoid the nasty colors.

I work as a data analyst. I really wonder how many of these 'custom' plates they're selling in comparison to previous years. Have they seen a 50% increase since April, when the blue on yellow became the standard? It could be completely intentional, as yet another way to bolster the state budget - drive more people to buy these plates, bring in more money.
It may be different in NY, but in Florida you pay $15-25 for the custom plate per year, and the proceeds go to the organization that the plate represents.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I really don't like the new NY plates. I always thought that NJ had the ugliest ones, but these are much worse - atleast NJ has a gradient to help reduce how bland they are.

Plus, yellow+blue on a red car? :face-puke

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Same colors as the old PA plate.

I love my D.A.R.E. plate. Its black/white/red and matches my car perfectly.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I was in the same boat here in Texas.

First I had these

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Then I had these for an extra $20 a year. Got tired of the Mavs sucking and paying the extra money!

Then when I dumped the Mavs plates, the state went and changed them to this ugly design! So this is what I'm stuck with!

The colors of the new plates seem to clash with every car they are on. Trust me, they are much, MUCH brighter in person! :facepalm:

·
Registered
670 Posts
Only thing you can do is keep the eww or get sports plates.
Yeah, right after I posted I went to the NYS DMV site to see if I'm required to swap - thankfully, no. So that means I'll have to keep my car until they change the plates again, or get a custom plate.

I saw BMW and Porsche clubs - I wish there was an SCCA or NASA plate.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts