8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so im kinda planning a system out in my head and i think i have come to a conclusion on a pair of 10 inch JL Audio w3v3 subs with the JL Audio 500/1 v2 amp. i dont like loud booming music or anything like that. i just want nice accurate, chrisp and tight music. and i really like the look and a many ways to custom build a box with fiberglass. but my friend doesnt think JL's should be in fiberglass. so i was wondering what all the different sub enclosures are for. like all the sound differences between:
Fiberglass
Ported
Vented
Bandpass
Horn Loaded
Plexiglass
Regular wood wrapped in carpet

thanks everyone
:wavey:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just go sealed and call it a day.

Ported=Vented

Fiberglass is just the material used; it's doesn't make a difference in sound compared to mdf. The only things that determine output are size & tuning (when porting).

Ported & Sealed are the two most common. The others are rare and are used in special situations; none of which apply to you.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Use the box that JL audio says to use. They give dimensions for sealed and proted for each of there speakers. For a ported box they even give you the proper port measurments for a *tuned* box. There site also shows you how to set your amps.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I think JL's sound best in sealed boxes although you can get an average of 3db+ louder with the same power out of a ported box. Only problem is it will be alot bigger! Make sure that whatever you do the box is the right airspace like 20Strong said. Its easy to glue and screw some MDF together but making a "good" box is entirely different!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so sealed seems like what ill go for. and ill be sure to look up JL's specs. would i need to do anything to the inside of the box, like deaden it, or fill it with polyfil?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Polyfil actually makes the sound waves move slower simulating a bigger box. JL's sound awesome as is and I dont think its needed. If your building it yourself just build it to spec and seal the edges and ul be good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts