8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a difference? arent both inlets the same? i know AFH sells both, but does the type r TB require modding also? ( BTW i searched type r TB couldnt find anything, thats why im posting)

·
Registered
102 Posts
From what I gather the RRC TB is the same size as the J35. Inlet and outlet. And would appear to require no modding. This is mine, not installed yet. Hope that helps, there is not enough info about this option out there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I read somewhere, I think the fellas from auto fair honda posted it: Type r tb same size as j35, only difference is it needs zero modification and costs a bit more because of that and bc it is from the type r.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read somewhere, I think the fellas from auto fair honda posted it: Type r tb same size as j35, only difference is it needs zero modification and costs a bit more because of that and bc it is from the type r.
i see, is it worth matching the rbc to the type r TB or just buy an rrc?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked up the RRC intake manifold too, they were designed to work together. But I see no reason why it won't work on the RBC. And with the cost of the the RRC now keeping the RBC might be a better option for you. Only you can make that choice. Might need an adaptor, don't think so but it's something you would want to ask about to be sure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should just need the right gasket and it will go right on the RBC. That is my plan.
im not sure if you will get the 100% effect, because the rbc is a whole 2.5mm smaller than the outlet on the type-r TB, thats why i was thinking about porting the rbc or purchasing the rrc to get the 100% benefit from this TB.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also opted for the RRC TB over the J35 and purchased the RRC IM as well. Depending on who talk to this is the ideal sized TB for this engine, although a bigger one (J37) might show a few more hp's it wont necessarily make the car faster. I'm waiting to install mine when my new Hytech header and exhaust arrive. AAAHHHHH I CAN'T WAIT!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also opted for the RRC TB over the J35 and purchased the RRC IM as well. Depending on who talk to this is the ideal sized TB for this engine, although a bigger one (J37) might show a few more hp's it wont necessarily make the car faster. I'm waiting to install mine when my new Hytech header and exhaust arrive. AAAHHHHH I CAN'T WAIT!
Let me know how it goes, you should do a baseline without the type r TB/rrc combo, and then install it, see how much the gain really is :vtec:

·
Registered
238 Posts
im not sure if you will get the 100% effect, because the rbc is a whole 2.5mm smaller than the outlet on the type-r TB, thats why i was thinking about porting the rbc or purchasing the rrc to get the 100% benefit from this TB.
I would def port match to whatever manifold you decide to go with.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
im pretty sure the tsx tb is going to be another option in this line up....specifically the 06-08. same in and out, and no modding required.
does the tsx TB have the same inlet as the j35 and the type r? well honestly, im thinking, if i am going through the trouble of taking the IM off, i should replace it with the rrc anyway right?

EDIT: You're car is just sex on wheels by the way....

·
Administrator
71,984 Posts
does the tsx TB have the same inlet as the j35 and the type r? well honestly, im thinking, if i am going through the trouble of taking the IM off, i should replace it with the rrc anyway right?

EDIT: You're car is just sex on wheels by the way....

yeah, tsx is a 68->64 and has the same evap as the rrc and stock, so it doesn't require that fitting common with the j35. you can get them for about the same price as that posted rrc unit, so its a wash. at that point, id just get the jdm one and have an rrc manifold/tb combo. i been thinking about getting one too just to mate to my rrc thats in storage.

and thanks for the compliment. always nice to hear from time to time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, tsx is a 68->64 and has the same evap as the rrc and stock, so it doesn't require that fitting common with the j35. you can get them for about the same price as that posted rrc unit, so its a wash. at that point, id just get the jdm one and have an rrc manifold/tb combo. i been thinking about getting one too just to mate to my rrc thats in storage.

and thanks for the compliment. always nice to hear from time to time.
Would you be willing to sell the rrc? :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
220 Posts
So, please correct me if I'm wrong.

J35, 06-08tsx and RRC throttle bodies all have the same 68-64.5mm ID?

And the j35 is the only one needing modification for an 8th?

They all require a custom gasket fittied to an rbc?

Thank you :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, please correct me if I'm wrong.

J35, 06-08tsx and RRC throttle bodies all have the same 68-64.5mm ID?

And the j35 is the only one needing modification for an 8th?

They all require a custom gasket fittied to an rbc?

Thank you :D
Im pretty sure only the j35 requires a special gasket

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
13 Participants
98luder
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing