8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ^_^

So I have been trying to figure out a safe yet effective place to put my tweeters in my "07 SI (replacing the comp system with some Rainbows)

In other model Civic's I have seen the A-Pillars used, which is what I would like to pursue, but I am afraid that if the side airbag deploys a tweeter will be flying into someone...

Here is what it looks like:

Does anyone have any clue how the airbag deploys? Or any alternative suggestions on tweeter placement?

My two ideas were to either embed the tweeter cup directly into the curtain cover (if plausible...) or build a enclosure over the small window in the corner out of fiberglass.

Thanks!

--Incudie

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have a 3" midrange in a fiberglass enclosure in that particular location. My tweeters are in the stock location atm. I do plan to install them in the pillars in the coming months, though.

As for the airbag, if you install a tweeter in the pillar and secure it, you won't have anything to worry about. The pillars are made to pop out of the way, but won't go flying violently across the dash; otherwise, what good would the airbag serve if the pillar is just going to hit someone in the face?...

Pics of my "pods":

Edit: The pods are getting redone. They look like **** right now and I honestly haven't bothered to clean them up. Hoping to get to it soon. Anyway, I think you get the point of the install, though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If I had a sedan I probably would have installed my tweets in the same spot bikinpunk has his midranges. Unfortunately the coupes do not have that space and because my tweeters couldn't fit in the stock location, I ended up just placing them in the kicks (out of laziness). My components sound great to me with the tweeters placed there, but then again I have not heard a true sq system so I can not compare anything. But as I see it, bikin has his in the stock location, repin has his high up in the doors, and mine are in the kicks and no one has any terrible complaints. No matter where they go I'm sure they will sound great, unless you are competing I wouldn't get too worried about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice install Repin. I'd be a little nervous about the position though.

One other thing I have been looking into is actually cutting a hole in the cover of the airbag and attaching the tweeter cup then add some body filler for a nice finish. Need to find out exactly how much (if any) room are available behind the cover though.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
If you can find a tweeter with a shallow depth mount, you'll be good to go.

One I recommend (which is what I'm running) is Hybrid Audio's "Legatia 1" tweeter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im gonna find out real quick... I have Cal 25 Titans... If I have time I'll pop it off tonight and check the spacing =)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Curious, what is the biggest tweet that can fit in the stock location? I am thinking Morel MDT41 or 43 or ScanSpeak D2904. Would that work?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts