8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some similar threads, but all seemed slightly different than my problem.

2008 Civic EX sedan (manual) purchased 2 1/2 months ago (currently @ 2500 miles). Since the first month (and most recently, tonight) car has failed to start (no fuel pump sound - absolutely nothing) three or four times. In all cases:
(1) car had been driven continuously for ~25 minutes, and had then been shut off for 5 to 10 minutes,
(2) had at least 1/4 tank of gas and parked on level ground
(3) left key in (without turning) ~3 sec before each re-start
(4) had clutch fully depressed
(5) do not recall seeing a blinking immobilizer system indicator
(6) lights were off

I checked the battery terminals - OK
I flipped the key around - no change
I took my Speedpass off the fob - no change

I eventually got it to start each time, but have no idea what I did to make it happen. Nor could I reproduce the problem afterwards. I think I may have tried my spare key the one time this occurred when I happened to have it, but I don't recall that working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Does it crank but not start or does it not even crank?

Does anything else happen when you try to start it; lights dim, any clicking?

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I turned my ignition to 1st position. All lights are on, everything seems normal. I turn to the second position to start, and everything goes instantly dead. No lights, nothing. Have to try a few times before it finally starts. No dimming, cranks normally.

The radio message says to enter code.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing happens. The fuel and temp gauges sweep up and then drop back to where they should be, and the various indicator lights come on temporarily - normally, this is the time that I will hear the fuel pump going, and then it cranks (and starts) when I turn the key further. When I'm having this problems, there is nothing but silence when the key gets turned more.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
Nothing happens. The fuel and temp gauges sweep up and then drop back to where they should be, and the various indicator lights come on temporarily - normally, this is the time that I will hear the fuel pump going, and then it cranks (and starts) when I turn the key further. When I'm having this problems, there is nothing but silence when the key gets turned more.
Do you have the Hondata reflash?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no idea - car hasn't been to a dealer since I got it at the end of September. Is that something I need to contact the selling dealership about? (I don't plan on bringing it to them for service, since they are ~40 miles further away than my neighborhood Honda dealer).

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
The Hondata reflash is not done by the dealer. To get it, the ECU has to be removed and sent to California. Hondata is a separate company with no ties to Honda. So I'm guessing you don't then.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I mentioned that and a couple of other things to my dealer. They said they ran a diagnostics, and "found nothing". (of course)

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I would guess ctcivic and Geezer have different problems.

Geezer, your car goes completely dead and you have to enter the radio code. Maybe a loose main fuse, defective battery (I have seen defective batteries cause VERY strange issues) loose connection? I realize you mentioned that you checked these things, it is just all I can think of off hand.

ctcivic, your car could have any number of problems as well. You could have a bad starter relay, bad starter, bad ignition switch, clutch start switch (defective or not adjusted properly).

Issues like this suck because if they don't fail consistantly it can be hard to catch the culprit in the act.

Just an example of a strange issue I have seen with a bad battery. My sister recently had a issue where her car would sometimes not start. It would crank very slowly and would not start. But if she turned her headlights on it would crank fine and start right up. The problem progressed to the point where she had to turn her headlights on every time she started the car. She had the battery replaced and it has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I turned my ignition to 1st position. All lights are on, everything seems normal. I turn to the second position to start, and everything goes instantly dead. No lights, nothing. Have to try a few times before it finally starts. No dimming, cranks normally.

The radio message says to enter code.
This happened to me when I was installing the steering wheel audio controls. There was a loose connection to the battery. Once I tightened it, I was finally able to start the car. Never looked back since.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you could also have a bad terminal on the positive side try turning on the lights to start the car sometimes not all the time but i could work happened to me in my 01 civic same thing it costs like 60 bucks to repair if thats the problem but your car should be under warrenty....

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had this problem a couple months ago, i checked the connection to the battery it still didn't start; so i called honda. they handed me over to one of the techs who told me to make sure all the connections were in place which i did. i didn't see anything wrong in the fuse box or the battery but tightened and depressed all of them just to be sure. then had a cigarette to calm down for a few minutes, after that i tried again and it started perfectly fine. took it to honda and they said that they could not find anything wrong w/ it. since then only occasionally when I'm parked on a very steep hill with the front of the car facing upwards will it act poorly(will start though). So i suggest trying to check all of the connections to ensure that they are all completely attached/ connected. if that doesn't help then im really not sure.

-good luck!:thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will recheck the battery connections today. The local Honda dealer said unless I can reproduce the problem, he'll have a difficult time diagnosing this. I'm may try to see if the same thing happens if I hold the clutch down most (but not all) of the way - if so, perhaps the clutch switch is the culprit. At the very least, I''ll be putting my spare key and valet keys in my glove compartment for emotional insurance.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I will recheck the battery connections today. The local Honda dealer said unless I can reproduce the problem, he'll have a difficult time diagnosing this. I'm may try to see if the same thing happens if I hold the clutch down most (but not all) of the way - if so, perhaps the clutch switch is the culprit. At the very least, I''ll be putting my spare key and valet keys in my glove compartment for emotional insurance.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
It may be the clutch switch... but then why do our radios' message come up asking for the code when we finally get it started? :xyxnervou

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To clarify - I'm not getting any code request from my radio (at least none that I'm aware of). Perhaps that is a symptom to another problem that you/others may have. Mine seems to be restricted to just starting (or lack thereof).

Under the good news/bad news category: when I checked the battery connections this afternoon, I noticed that the 'green eye' that is meant to indicate sufficient battery charge wasn't so green. OK, it wasn't green at all. Perhaps that is the source of my problem. Will chase it down tonight/tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
it might be caused by the key immobilizer. cuz thats what happened to me. and i had to get my car towed to the dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts