8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything about aftermarket signal mirrors? I know the Hybrid has them. It's kind of a bummer that the other models don't. I think they look nice, plus it's just another added safety feature. Hybrid mirrors seem like they'd be fairly plug and play with Sedans as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My buddy has an 06 Scion and I definately dig his mirror signals. I'd like to see those on the civic. Also be nice if they were completely painted to match on the civic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, you can order the mirrors for the Hybrid civic. They are 112.60 (each) from the dealer, or you can just get the parts to do the conversion.

I am debating doing this, only problem is I have the Atomic Blue and the mirrors only come in Taffeta White, Alabaster Silver and Galaxy Grey, otherwise they would already be on mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh, I was mistaken on the price. That was the cost of the just light in the mirror, not for any of the other parts.

It is $28.63 per housing, $83.09 per light, and $28.63 per housing set. It looks like it may use an entirely different harness, so you may have to either custom do one, or just find out where any addition wires are run to and hook in there.

Here is the picture of the mirror assembly on the sedan

Here is the picture of the mirror assembly for the hybrid

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=2742&hp_series_model=CIVIC&hp_series_year=2006&hp_series_door_ext_grade=4DR+MX&hp_series_transmission=CVT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=G&hp_component=B++43

This seems like it could be more work than it's worth, but if someone does it, that would be cool to see.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
atomicrenegade said:
Oh, I was mistaken on the price. That was the cost of the just light in the mirror, not for any of the other parts.

It is $28.63 per housing, $83.09 per light, and $28.63 per housing set. It looks like it may use an entirely different harness, so you may have to either custom do one, or just find out where any addition wires are run to and hook in there.

Here is the picture of the mirror assembly on the sedan

Here is the picture of the mirror assembly for the hybrid

https://www.hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts_list.php?hp_queried_components=0&hp_series_id=2742&hp_series_model=CIVIC&hp_series_year=2006&hp_series_door_ext_grade=4DR+MX&hp_series_transmission=CVT&hp_series_slsareacd=KA&hp_system=G&hp_component=B++43

This seems like it could be more work than it's worth, but if someone does it, that would be cool to see.
That's a lotta money for a few extra little parts to get that to work. Not that it should be all that hard. But I think I'm just too lazy :D . I may have to look into this though.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I just took another look at it. Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just buy the housing and use LEDs and transistors? I dunno if the dimensions of the Sedan's outer shell (the part with the indicator) is the same as the Hybrid's. And I'm willing to bet the outer shell isn't the same as the Coupes. I think I foresee a DIY soon. :D

EDIT: wow...those prices low compared to what the dealer would charge us for the same parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not certain, but logically the sedan and the hybrid would use the same dimension mirrors.

It is way differnt on the coupes. On those, the mirror mount is on the side of the mirror, and goes right in front of the window. The sedans mount is diagonal down on the door panel.

I was thinking of just getting an extra housing (just in case) and cutting out a shape that I think would work, probably similar to the hyrbids one, then take some polycarbonite and soak it in boiling water and form it into the shape of the cutout, then slightly smoking it and create an LED setup and wire it in.

That would be much harder, but it would be very original, and could look really interesting. I probably won't do it, unless I somehow finish the 30 projects im already working on.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I realized this morning the coupes mirrors were side mounted and the sedans were on the door.

I was thinking of baking the lexan in the oven until it's malleable, then laying it over the housing and pressing it down to get the lexan to take the shape of the housing. I'd cut the shape out of the mirror housing for the indicator, then cut out a small section of lexan, same shape, and then hot gluing the lexan from the inside of the housing (so you can't see the)

Or if that's too much, just drill holes in the housing the same size as the LEDs. 2 or 3 holes high and 4 or 5 holes across. Like so,

Sorry, the pic sux... :(

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI for everyone else. I asked this on HondaPartsDeals:

I have an EX Sedan (Silver) and I would like to swap out my side mirrors for the Hybrid turn signal mirrors. How difficult would that be? Which specific parts would I need, or would I need them all?
Is there a way to get the Canadian Hybrid mirrors that are heated and have the signal?

Answer:

I do not know if that is possible, the problems you will run into is the wiring harness matching up. You would have to do some customizations. Also we can only get US Honda parts.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As some of you have probably read, I'm really wanting to get some signal mirrors...preferably the heated ones from Canada. I've e-mailed tons of dealers in Canada and I only got one real response (among several smart-ass e-mails). In a nut shell, I asked if it was possible to swap American Sedan mirrors with the heated hybrid signal mirrors. Here's the response from the Parts Manager at Windsor Honda in Ontario:

"Unfortunately, your car is not equipped with the correct electrical system and wiring harnesses to adapt these mirrors. Simply put, Canadian cars have different electrical demands than US cars. More than triple the wires in the harness. Again the electric mirrors we use have 7 pin plugs on them instead of the 4 (I think) pin plugs on the US car. You can't just add the extra wires and run them to a toggle switch, because the current for the heated grid is too high to run without relays.

Although I'm not sure how it works on the hybrid, on the standard models the Alternator has a higher rating on the Canadian car, and has an extra terminal in the harness plug to handle the switching from the PCM.

We have found over the years that attempting to retro-fit US/Canadian/ or Japanese home market parts from one to another is usually either impossible, or way too much trouble. You would need to retrofit the mirrors, both fuse boxes, both door wiring harnesses and at least the dash harness as well, (more than likely also the engine bay wiring harness). This may also impact several other systems."

·
Registered
194 Posts
well i guess that explains why the Canadian civic is more expensive than in US, even after exchange rate :)

And that I can't get as high MPG as lota you posted from US, higher electrical usage = lower MPG...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.