8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're having issues with your turn signals not turning off this might solve your problem. I had an issue with mine where the turn signal just stayed illuminated and didn't even flicker. No matter what I did with the combination switch or the hazard button the lights just stayed on. Even when I turned off the engine and locked the car it would stay on. Only way to turn off the lights was to disconnect the battery.

If this is happening to you it may be your turn signal relay. But wait... Honda no longer has a replaceable turn signal relay like the good old civics. If you call the dealer they will tell you it doesn't exist. I happened to find mine and was able to replace it.

To fix the problem you have two options:

Option 1: replace the MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit) fuse box under the dash.

I called the dealer and they quoted me around $650 CAD (tax incl) for a new fuse box plus 3 hours to install (@ ~$140/hour) and 1 hour labour to reprogram my key fob to the immobilizer in the new fuse box. When I heard option 1 I nearly lost all respect for Honda for soldering the turn signal relay to the fuse box so you can't replace it. Instead of paying almost $1000 to fix this at the dealer (not to mention an hours labour for them just to diagnose the issue) I then took a chance and did some surgery to my existing fuse box.

Option 2: replace the relay board inside the MICU fuse box under the dash. Pictures attached.

I didn't know this was an option till I pulled apart my fuse box to see what was smelling like burnt electrical components. Looks like it might have even been a capacitor that burned out (as shown in the pictures) but doing this still solved the issue. There is a separate circuit board with prongs that attach to the main circuit board. If you're careful you can pull this board apart and replace it. Unfortunately Honda does not sell these boards so you have to get one from a scrap yard or a parted out Honda that doesn't also have this issue. I was lucky to find one at a local junk yard and pulled it off the car myself for $45. You have to make sure that the car is the same trim level and facelift version (06' to 08' or 09' to 11') as yours or it might not work. Check the VIN of the car that you pulled the fuse box from and compare it to yours using the parts catalog on https://torontohondaparts.com. You can also call the dealer and ask them which cars your fuse box works with and get the part number.

Once you replace it with the new one and reconnect it back into your car it should fix this issue. Please do this at your own risk. I am not a Honda mechanic but wanted to share this because I think it might help a bunch of people.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you're having issues with your turn signals not turning off this might solve your problem. I had an issue with mine where the turn signal just stayed illuminated and didn't even flicker. No matter what I did with the combination switch or the hazard button the lights just stayed on. Even when I turned off the engine and locked the car it would stay on. Only way to turn off the lights was to disconnect the battery.
View attachment 244607
If this is happening to you it may be your turn signal relay. But wait... Honda no longer has a replaceable turn signal relay like the good old civics. If you call the dealer they will tell you it doesn't exist. I happened to find mine and was able to replace it.

To fix the problem you have two options:

Option 1: replace the MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit) fuse box under the dash.

I called the dealer and they quoted me around $650 CAD (tax incl) for a new fuse box plus 3 hours to install (@ ~$140/hour) and 1 hour labour to reprogram my key fob to the immobilizer in the new fuse box. When I heard option 1 I nearly lost all respect for Honda for soldering the turn signal relay to the fuse box so you can't replace it. Instead of paying almost $1000 to fix this at the dealer (not to mention an hours labour for them just to diagnose the issue) I then took a chance and did some surgery to my existing fuse box.

Option 2: replace the relay board inside the MICU fuse box under the dash. Pictures attached.

I didn't know this was an option till I pulled apart my fuse box to see what was smelling like burnt electrical components. Looks like it might have even been a capacitor that burned out (as shown in the pictures) but doing this still solved the issue. There is a separate circuit board with prongs that attach to the main circuit board. If you're careful you can pull this board apart and replace it. Unfortunately Honda does not sell these boards so you have to get one from a scrap yard or a parted out Honda that doesn't also have this issue. I was lucky to find one at a local junk yard and pulled it off the car myself for $45. You have to make sure that the car is the same trim level and facelift version (06' to 08' or 09' to 11') as yours or it might not work. Check the VIN of the car that you pulled the fuse box from and compare it to yours using the parts catalog on https://torontohondaparts.com. You can also call the dealer and ask them which cars your fuse box works with and get the part number. View attachment 244608 View attachment 244609
View attachment 244606
Once you replace it with the new one and reconnect it back into your car it should fix this issue. Please do this at your own risk. I am not a Honda mechanic but wanted to share this because I think it might help a bunch of people.
Thanks for your contribution to the forum!

So you just soldered the new relay in place of the old one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No soldering required! I just pulled the board off the fuse box from the scrap yard and plugged it into my fuse box. I suppose you could also solder whichever component is broken/burnt. Problem is it might not just be that component and you may need to do more trial and error to find any other damaged components that may have been affected.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No soldering required! I just pulled the board off the fuse box from the scrap yard and plugged it into my fuse box. I suppose you could also solder whichever component is broken/burnt. Problem is it might not just be that component and you may need to do more trial and error to find any other damaged components that may have been affected.
Noice👌

1 - 4 of 4 Posts