8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has ideas - anything would be much appreciated. so here it goes:

I installed my LED turn signals today, pair in the front and the back. I also have 2x 3 Ohm 50W Load Equalizers that, according to autolumination, is sufficient for both bulbs on each side. Wonderful, I tried installing the load resisitor in parallel to the rear bulb first as that was much easier for me to get and it didn't work, not only did it cause hyperflashing - my parking lights went out(this has never happened to me before and I have done it successfully several times). I moved the load resistor to the front and spliced it over the turn signal circuit(referred to my helm manual for which wiring is which). Once it was finished, the hazard lights and turn signals worked just fine, but now my parking light circuit is out. I checked fuse #15 - which, according to my helm manual, is the circuit involved with "parking lights, rear sidemarkers, and license plate lights". These three lights that I mentioned are the ONLY lights that are out, the bulbs aren't burned afaik because the brake lights work just fine as well as the turn signals. My alarm works, it is wired to this circuit to flash when I lock/unlock. The alarm sounds the horn and locks the door but does not flash my lights. I put the stock bulbs back in the fronts to see if that helped and nothing changed.

Does anyone have any idea wtf is going on? I didn't blow the fuse and the bulbs all work okay. Could I have melted wiring if I didn't blow the fuse?? Doesn't seem very likely to me... Could the load resistors being installed over the turn signals circuit have messed up something with the parking lights circuit being as they share the same ground...?

Any help would be very very much appreciated as I would rather not have to take this into the dealer if at all possible...

Thanks,
SiC

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well here's the email I got from autolumination - makes complete sense now.

The bulbs that are blowing fuses may require a CK led. We have the specially wired 3157 CK bulbs, or you can use the leds you have, but you would have to rearrange the wires to match the contacts on the bulb.

What is happening is that the two common ground wires are shorting across either the + dim circuit, or the + bright circuit.

There are 3 wires to each led bulb:

1. - ground
2. + bright
3. + dim

There are 4 contacts to each conventionally wired 3157 led:

1. - ground
2. + bright
3. + dim
4. - ground

What you need in order for the leds to work is to match each wire to the corresponding lead on the led. You can identify the two common - ground leads using an ohmmeter or perhaps visually (they are connected together inside the bulb housing). Once you identify the two common - ground leads, the other leads on the bulb can be identified from the diagram above.

The wires can also be identified using an multi-meter:

The - ground wires is common to any metal chassis ground on the vehicle.

The + bright wire will have full voltage when the turn signal or brakes are applied.

The + dim leads will have full voltage when the headlights are switched on.
Meaning that we can't just stick 3157 LEDs in the front. This makes perfect sense now, I just hope I didn't do extensive damage to my car :(. Gonna call the dealership now and I'll post what happened when I find out.

Moral of the story - do not put LEDs in the front turn signals for our car unless you really know what your doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Let us know how you're going to resolve this issue.

I have also installed a dual circuit 1157 LED for the front blinkers/parking lights and the were not working properly. For now, I have decided to disable the front parking lights by cutting the positive lead. I have a hyper flashing turn signal at this time. I'm willing to live with it for now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
well here's the email I got from autolumination - makes complete sense now.

Meaning that we can't just stick 3157 LEDs in the front. This makes perfect sense now, I just hope I didn't do extensive damage to my car :(. Gonna call the dealership now and I'll post what happened when I find out.

Moral of the story - do not put LEDs in the front turn signals for our car unless you really know what your doing.
do you know if there is a DIY on how to do this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
is there a diagram on this or something to help me install these. and also if i were to rewire the wires to the leds and later if i decide to install bulbs would i have to touch the wiring again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.