Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st place:
AJP: 1WHP per $23.91 (385 whp) (Calculated at price of ~$4900, incl. Hondata reflash.)

2nd place:
Greddy: 1WHP per $27.50 300 whp(calculated at average price of ~$3300)

3rd. place:
Comptech: 1WHP per $72 (230 whp) (calculated at average price of ~$3600)

Best deal ironically was the Highest priced AJP Kit. However this only uses the HP-$ ratio, not the power available @ Set RPM-$ ratio.

Assumes 180 WHP starting point.

Good to know imo.

·
Registered
97 Posts
these guys measure HP at the wheels while auto manufacturers measure at the flywheel. 170-180 whp would be more accurate

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
IMHO, a turbo will always be better dollar to HP. You an always up the boost easier in a turbo. Good info though.

·
Banned
3,565 Posts
You also need to add the cost of the fuel return kit and 3" exhaust system for the AJP turbo kit.

The AJP turbo kit requires the Hondata reflash as well as the fuel return kit at a bare minimum. The Hondata reflash was also tuned with the 3" exhaust installed. You will also need other odds and ends that AJP does not include.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Go buy AJP then, I bet you will never get your turbo kit. Another you forgot is that Turbo'd cars need to be tuned frequently S/C'd don't. Wait till Redshift superchager comes out and it will dominate the boards.

·
Registered
563 Posts
You have to keep all other parts constant. I'm sure that AJP had the exhaust and other things added.

Also, I've seen comptech dynos around 250whp+ depending on altitude.

Your $/hp does not take into account certain intangables such as quality/craftsmenship, customer service, reliability or install cost. Not sure how you can figure those in without making a few broad sweeping assumptions.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Where does reliability and cost for upkeep come into play? You didn't mention that anywhere. Why not also throw in a N/A setup like James Lewis' for a comparison?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Where does reliability and cost for upkeep come into play? You didn't mention that anywhere. Why not also throw in a N/A setup like James Lewis' for a comparison?
because he was only comparing hp/$ with none of the other stuff intended. i do agree moddifying with the exhaust and tune tho. also, na our motors will only put out ~350 whp. and to achieve that will cost about $10-$15,000 pending on what u do. lewis, if im not mistaken, has hook-ups so im sure only pay half that guesstimate.

·
Registered
97 Posts
how in gods name are you gonna get $350 whp N/A without getting a full race motor thats ridiculously impractical to use on the street...?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
i will still go with a supercharger. hassel free power.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
That plays a big part of it though, the reliability. I mean if you need say new Ring lands due to the kit that has to be included in the cost ;) I am just saying if the kit requires the engine to be built, then shouldn't that be included.

Also what about the long term costs of each kit, Belts, oil, spark plugs, rods, pistons. Stuff like that should be taken into account.

I just don't think it is so cut and dry....

·
Registered
97 Posts
spark plugs? oil? rods and pistons? why should these be taken into account when comparing the $/hp for turbos and s/c's...?

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
spark plugs? oil? rods and pistons? why should these be taken into account when comparing the $/hp for turbos and s/c's...?
because they cost money.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.