8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Which do you prefer?

  • Turbo

    Votes: 223 45.1%
  • Supercharger

    Votes: 271 54.9%
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EVERYONES OPINION SHOULD GO INTO THIS THREAD.IN YOUR GUYS OPINION WICH IS BETTER..FOR YOUR 06 SI AND WHATS BETTER FOR YOUR ENGINE ...AND WHICH GIVES YOU THE BEST PERFORMANCE???:thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,506 Posts
Heres my opinions based on my limited knowledge of forced induction.

Turbo:

Pros: Upgradable, tunable, non-parasitic
Cons: Lag, maintence, installation


S/C:

Pros: Installation, maintenence, less chance of blowing the engine (as boost is set, as far as I know)
Cons: parasitic, not tunable, non-upgradable

Performance wise Turbo definetly takes the cake!

I would think the turbo is better for the engine as it doesn't produce a load on the engine and wont hurt the engine unless you boost too high...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,908 Posts
CaliGuy said:
Heres my opinions based on my limited knowledge of forced induction.

Turbo:

Pros: Upgradable, tunable, non-parasitic
Cons: Lag, maintence, installation


S/C:

Pros: Installation, maintenence, less chance of blowing the engine (as boost is set, as far as I know)
Cons: parasitic, not tunable, non-upgradable

Performance wise Turbo definetly takes the cake!

I would think the turbo is better for the engine as it doesn't produce a load on the engine and wont hurt the engine unless you boost too high...
Well a turbo does produce a load on the engine, except it is not on the input, it's on the output (read: exhaust).

What do you mean that superchargers are parasitic?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
superchargers are belt driven...they cause your motor to lose hp from "parasitic loss." Same type deal as the motor loses hp when you turn your AC on.
And a turbo does make load on the engine through the input from the output.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,506 Posts
NoBottleJustThrottle said:
superchargers are belt driven...they cause your motor to lose hp from "parasitic loss." Same type deal as the motor loses hp when you turn your AC on.
And a turbo does make load on the engine through the input from the output.
Thanks for the clarification re turbo...I wasn't aware of that..:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
CaliGuy said:
Heres my opinions based on my limited knowledge of forced induction.

Turbo:

Pros: Upgradable, tunable, non-parasitic
Cons: Lag, maintence, installation


S/C:

Pros: Installation, maintenence, less chance of blowing the engine (as boost is set, as far as I know)
Cons: parasitic, not tunable, non-upgradable

Performance wise Turbo definetly takes the cake!

I would think the turbo is better for the engine as it doesn't produce a load on the engine and wont hurt the engine unless you boost too high...
Also larger turbos don't do squat if you're in the wrong gear. Superchargers are generally, more linear.



Generally....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
well the SiR in 99-00 (b16a) goes slower with the S/C on the QM strip

that being said.. the SiR is a monster on the highway


id rather go with the turbo charger.. uses recycled exhaust .. make sure u do a in depth study on the basics of turbo charging b4 buying a kit or making a junk yard setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Me personally I would go SC because I dont want to increase my booste too much and a turbo and blow my engine. Also, I dont want too much more performace out of the car. It is good enought for me stock....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
A supercharger is upgradeable in the sense that you can change the pulley size and thus increase the boost (this is how you change PSI on a supercharger, by getting a smaller pulley). Also for example the Comptech Superchager kit for the RSX Type-S and soon the '06 Civic Si comes with an ECU reflash from Hondata which tunes the ECU specifically for the added supercharger. Jackson Racing has this same sort of thing but only for it's "race" supercharger, and not the "street" one. So yes, Superchargers are "tuneable" but only from an ECU perspective in order to tune the ECU to take full advantage of the charger. :driving:

As for the debate, you have to ask yourself what you're looking for. Both are completely different and take you down different paths. If you just want a dyno monster and want to push insane amounts of HP then you're only bet is a turbo. Superchargers only go so far in terms of performance, but they are extremely linear (just imagine pushing the HP and Torque curves straight up by about 40-50+ HP). Turbos are another story and you'll obviously have the lag and thus only see the gains after it is spooled up. IMO I'm going for a supercharger since its zero lag, quite easy to maintain, and gives you lots of torque on hand from the get go. Plus by time you add a supercharger and I/H/E combo, you'll be pushing somewhere upwards of 250+ WHP on the Si. Remember that 300WHP is about the max you'd ever want to have for a front wheel drive car.

Neither is better than the other, each has advantages that the other doesn't have. Period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
I've had plenty of boost in my life... if I had a chance to pick now I would go for the supercharger they sound sweet too!

Also supercharger provides all throughout the rpms unlike turbo boosts at a certain rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,736 Posts
NoBottleJustThrottle said:
God...not this argument again. This is on every message board. Not even going to get into it.
And yet you have responded to almost everyones opinion so go ahead and give yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
2evolved said:
I've had plenty of boost in my life... if I had a chance to pick now I would go for the supercharger they sound sweet too!

Also supercharger provides all throughout the rpms unlike turbo boosts at a certain rpm.
Anyone who complains about turbo lag is either in the wrong gear, or the wrong car

tunning is a big factor when it comes to turbo boosting

hell u can get the car to boost right off the line
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,824 Posts
CivNick said:
Anyone who complains about turbo lag is either in the wrong gear, or the wrong car

tunning is a big factor when it comes to turbo boosting

hell u can get the car to boost right off the line
Tuning's not the only thing. Turbo sizing plays a big part as well. I think he said his FD had a larger turbo, which would account for the lag.
 
1 - 20 of 201 Posts
Top