8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, there come the n00b questions..but first a little background..my friend has a '98 Honda Civic LX, and is looking to start a turbo project. However, since the 98 LX doesn't come with Vtec I know a new ECU is an order...as well as new cams and such.

1)How much would he need to spend, and what parts would be necessary to run 18psi?

2)How much power/torque can he reasonably expect to see?

3)Will a new ECU/reflash be needed.

Thanks again!

BTW: it's a 5spd

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah It a D16...hmmm, just looking to see what we can get out of it..but thanks for the info

18psi does sound like a heck of a lot, we'd probably settle for 8psi

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
For the price you would spend turboing that thing you can buy a better motor like a b16 or b18. But if you want to do it to see what you can extract out of it by all means go for it!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Homemadeturbo.com - great ideas for cheap turbo projects, they're tough on noob questions like this, so don't ask them there.

Turbo D16 • Index page - I've never had a d-series, so you can go there for more research...

By the way, asking "what is needed to run 18 psi" is an ambiguous question.... you should ask what is needed to get 300 whp or something along those lines.

Just to get you started - if you want high numbers out of THAT engine, you'll need to beef up the internals (rods and pistons)... get a set of vitaras, they've been proven to be very cost effective. You'll also need to get some engine management (go to Crome, TurboEdit, Uberdata --- DIY Honda ECU tuning and chipping resources, products write-ups and links. Widebands, Fuel Pumps, Intercoolers, ECU Chipping, Wideband Tuning & more - great site for ECU parts).

Go to those websites, read the FAQ's, sticky's and search, search, search. GL.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This motor is definitely more difficult than most of the other Honda motors to get stout results from, but I definitely wouldn't say that its not turbo worthy as some others have suggested. There are some pretty powerful stock block d-series out there. The power is made alot based on your turbo selection and tune. For that particular motor and chassis you'll find alot better results on this forum:

Honda-Tech.com: Main Forum List

And before the naysayers step up about the d-series take a look at the kind of power potential a stock d really has:

Honda-Tech.com: Forced Induction: Honda-Tech's Highest Horsepower on a Stock Block Thread *OFFICIAL*

...not too shabby if you ask me.

BTW swapping in an H22 to turbo isn't the greatest idea, as these motors have proven difficult to run even low boost levels on safely due to their weak piston rings/landings. Nice turbo setups have been achieved but it's more of a hassle than anything- especially after going through the trouble of sourcing a motor/trans and actually wedging it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.