8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She has FINALLY stepped into the world of "premium" cars. I have been convincing her for years, to get something reflecting her salary, as well as her position as upper corporate project management with Raytheon. She still has not done that, but she is closer now than she ever has been. She has over the years owned several cars...always decent, but never really reflected where, or who, she is. She is in fact, a mother of 2 (myself and my younger brother), and she has raised us well, gotten her education and is now a career woman in her mid 40's. She isn't wealthy beyond imagination, but has enough for her and my dad (works for DynCorp International LLC) to live comfortably, into retirement. Living where they want, and driving what they want, and doing what they want, for the rest of their lives.

Some of her previous cars include:

2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited
2005 Toyota Camry XLE
2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (which she sold the camry to get...dont ask me why, I have no clue)...

To this:

2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Convertible. She wanted something with luxury car appointments, but with enough oomph to move the heck out. I had been suggesting a Genesis sedan for awhile, as well as a few other cars. She has the mentality of "I have money, but I don't have to show it off". Well ma, You succeeded in doing exactly that. She took my latest advice. I said to her a week ago: "Why don't you look for a nice luxury convertible? Maybe a 3 series BMW, or a Mercedes Hard Top?" Too flashy. I told her if she was looking for good fuel economy, a convertible, and some pep, she HAD to check out the 9-3 Turbo. She said she was instantly in love.

Enjoy mom. You have earned it... Happy Belated Mom's day, to yourself :)

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
its what she wanted. She doesnt like flash.

My dad on the other hand...well lets not get started with him LOL.

I think she made a smart choice. Lets face it, she doesnt have to worry about dings and dents, its a "cheap" car, as far as upscale cars go, its at the very bottom. She doesnt want a mercedes or BMW because she has heard of alot of problems with them. She doesnt like a flashy car, and wanted a back seat, so the ferrari 360 spyder (used) my dad suggested was out, the Lexus SC and IS-C are out because it was more than she needed to pay. She got a car with some style, and pretty comfortable, for her commute to Dallas from west Fort Worth (50 miles or so) and back 2 days a week. The rest of the time she works from home. If she spent all day or alot of the day in the car, I would have insisted she go for a bigger sedan, but for what she wants, it will work. Remember, this woman drove a 2001 Grand Prix GTP for 2 years. She bought it because it was cheap and somewhat reliable. So I doubt she would even consider dropping 60k+ on a mercedes.

After I said convertible, a few cars popped into my dad's head, but she wanted none of them, because she did not want to drop 100k on a car. That attitude is exactly why they are where they are today, because they dont drop 100k on a car. The problem my mom has now, is that she has been that way for so long, she doesnt understand that now she can drop 100k on a car if she wants. So, this is a start. I really think within a few years I can convince her to go for that Ferrari ;) .

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
wait, in the OP you said she needed to (and got) a car that was reflective of "who she is" and "where she is" is but then you said it's a "cheap" car and "at the very bottom"

Sorry, I had to point out the irony in the posts.

Congrats to your mom. I hope she enjoys! But to be honest, the OP just sounds like your bragging about your parents.

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
WTF? Wow...seriously?

I am 25, make my own money and live 1800 miles from my parents, so why would I need to brag about them? Maybe I completely missed your point, But it sounds TO ME, like you need a reason to put someone down. To be honest its kind of insulting you think I would need to brag about my parents. Thats the kind of thing a 3rd grader does, but to make you feel better, I added a sentence to the post.

If you read what I wrote, I was trying to give an idea about who she is. She is a career woman in her mid 40's. Sure, she could have gotten a Ferrari, a Mercedes or a Porsche, but why? Thats her mentality. So, in a way she in fact, DID get a car that reflects who she is...Simple, slightly refined, and fun when fun is wanted. Did I want her to get into a better, more expensive car? Yes, absolutely. But she does not see the point in spending large amounts of money on a car. To her a car is an appliance and not much more, so as you can imagine, getting her to get this car is quite a stretch. She would have been content with something far cheaper.

·
8th-a-holic
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seriously, its a free board, if you don't like a thread, don't post in it. That is kind of shallow that you would waste your time (you obviously see this thread as a waste) to pop in here and post useless crap. Yes, that was useless crap.

·
Registered
906 Posts
im sorry, but 200,000 + a year and best she could come up with was a Saab.
Unlike a lot of us, some people put other things in front of their own needs.

Cars are probably not one of their needs, house, cottage, family vacations, probably more important to them. If she enjoys what she drives, who cares right?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
WTF? Wow...seriously?

I am 25, make my own money and live 1800 miles from my parents, so why would I need to brag about them? Maybe I completely missed your point, But it sounds TO ME, like you need a reason to put someone down. To be honest its kind of insulting you think I would need to brag about my parents. Thats the kind of thing a 3rd grader does, but to make you feel better, I added a sentence to the post.

If you read what I wrote, I was trying to give an idea about who she is. She is a career woman in her mid 40's. Sure, she could have gotten a Ferrari, a Mercedes or a Porsche, but why? Thats her mentality. So, in a way she in fact, DID get a car that reflects who she is...Simple, slightly refined, and fun when fun is wanted. Did I want her to get into a better, more expensive car? Yes, absolutely. But she does not see the point in spending large amounts of money on a car. To her a car is an appliance and not much more, so as you can imagine, getting her to get this car is quite a stretch. She would have been content with something far cheaper.

:yeahthat:

What many young'ins on this board don't realize is that there's no unwritten requirement of people that make > $100K / yr that they must drive a flashy Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Porsche, etc. In fact you would be surprised how many people make over $100K / yr and drive normal cars like Camrys, Maximas, Crown Vics.

Most of us mod our cars and put a lot of money into them. However, most people realize that there's better things to spend money on. And they're not going to blow their $200K on a car.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
:yeahthat:

What many young'ins on this board don't realize is that there's no unwritten requirement of people that make > $100K / yr that they must drive a flashy Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Porsche, etc. In fact you would be surprised how many people make over $100K / yr and drive normal cars like Camrys, Maximas, Crown Vics.

Most of us mod our cars and put a lot of money into them. However, most people realize that there's better things to spend money on. And they're not going to blow their $200K on a car.
Who you calling "young"?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts