8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this past weekend we installed 06'TSX front brakes on my 06'FG2.:dancing:

I first want to thank fellow board members Moose for driving up to Markham and doing all the work and Shooter78 for photo duties.:clapping:

Initial impressions: No noise, no rub and no stink; Good as OEM.:dance:

We had to cut a small portion of the dust shield away and I do have a slightly longer pedal. This was too be expected, as it is a function of increasing the piston bore, soon I will hardly notice.
Brake bias seems to be hardly effected at all but the true test will come in the spring at the track.:thumb:

Here is a link to pics of the install...

TSX Brake Swap

For those that want to review theory of the advantages of such a set up over stock Si, refer to a previous write up from Moose...

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/suspension-brakes/62478-brake-options-20.html

I can't wait to really try these out. Watch out for track impressions and hopefully a DIY.:popcorn:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one of the best threads on this board and very informative.

The TL Brembo's require a bit more work compared to what I've done.

These were a straight bolt up.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Moose is the man; he did it in just under 2 hours and no problems. No doubt a result of good preparation.

I do track my car and you can see in the first pictures that excessive heat has destroyed the rubber seals on my stock calipers. This could eventually lead to contamination and eventual brake seizure.

Hopefully with more pad surface area and thermal mass the rotors will stay consistent even after successive lapping with big ass passengers.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's about it.

Rotor is same diameter, 300mm, but it is thicker, thus heavier and has larger cooling passages.

Larger caliper and pads apply considerably more pad surface area to the rotor.

The caliper is still single piston like stock, but is the piston is slightly larger in diameter.

For less than half the cost of even a entry level BBk you make positive gains almost everywhere

·
Registered
990 Posts
Oh man, that's sweet man! Wow, how did you get moose to come up and help you do the upgrade? You are one lucky guy! haha. Keep us updated on how the new calipers perform.

Oh, and I completely know where you're coming from because I also went through similar experience. But I actually had to rebuild my stock calipers due to excessive heat & not enough cooling when tracking and the piston seized up.

I think for the driving style that you and I both have, it would be safer & better to have designated track pads to go along with the new setup. I was running Endless CCR (with the temperature limit of 800celcius) and I still experience somewhat brake fades when I go hot (and I already had SS brake lines and Motul RBF600 brake fluids in my car at that time) But this only happens in Mosport DDT & Dunville where the track is a lot smaller and the overall design of the track puts a lot of stress on the car's brakes & tires. With shannonville, it was no problem at all because braking intervals between corners are a lot more distanced and brakes gets enough cooling before the next braking point.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Howard.

Promises of Pizza and Beer.

I was running the same set up as you near the end 08', except the SS lines.

I cooked those CCR's in two track days, Albert at Speedstar could not believe it.

But to your point this was done at Mosport DDT and Dunnville, guy's that are not local don't understand that these tracks are super hard on brakes as they NEVER get a chance to cool down.

I will be running a designated pad, looking at Hawk DTC 60/ 70.

Can't wait to see your sweet ride in action:thumb:

Screw the economy, everyone mod your cars.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Awww, that's so nice!

CCR is pretty good for what it does but it can only take so much abuse! But man, you cooked your CCR in just 2 track days??? That's really unbelievable lol. You must really had been all out on those 2 track days. I had mine for about 2 or so months and approx 10-12 track days before I had to replace mine, and even then I thought they wore out pretty quick.

So this season, I am thinking of going designated track pads and street pads instead. Longer pad life & better performance lol.

Im hoping this winter will over already so we can go tracking together again soon! :thumb:

P.S. Oh, and definitely look into getting the SS lines this year. They are really worthwhile mods that brings you better braking consistency and confidence. I got mine from Tirerack shipped for approx $115-125 including shipping & tax. (Goodridge SS lines for all 4 corners)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I know, that is abnormal wear, especially on my wallet. Albert wants me to bring them in to show him but he was overseas a while back and I just have not got around to dropping by.

The endless CCR is a extreme street pad and in many cases works very well even with much heavier cars like Sti's.

I feel a combination of track layout, long stints out and big fat passengers lead to the excessive wear. I also drove them on the streets for a while.

I do not want to see Ivan every week to change pads but at level we are moving too its going to be something to strongly consider. My last chance maybe project Mu 999's.

With the increased thermal mass a larger brake package offers, I'm hoping less will be transferred to the pad. It's that sustained temperature at the pads maximum that really eats them.

The true test will be the track and this time I'll make sure the camera is adjusted properly. :thumb:

·
Registered
990 Posts
I completely understand what you mean.

Well for any dual purpose brake pads, I've come to the conclusion that wear will be immense and their lifespan will be a lot shorter than using pads for just one purpose. That is a given fact that I learned to accept the hard way lol.

Yeah, long stints out and putting more weights on the car does adds up to excessive wear. Especially like you said, sustained temperature at pads' maximum really do eat them up quick! I completely agree with you haha.

Definitely the true test will be at the track for sure haha. I also cant wait to see how well my new brake system will perform at the track.

·
Premium Member
13,469 Posts
NICE... sounds good, what could i expect to pa for all the parts to do it?

·
Registered
799 Posts
A set of rebuilt/reman OE Nissin calipers and brackets (loaded), Generic rotors, Axis Ultimate pads will be about $500 Canadian depending on what discount you get at your local jobber.

A second set of good track rotors and pads will set you back another $350 or so.

Add in a bottle of RBF600 for the bleed $20 and some brake cleaner and you are offf to the races

1 - 20 of 49 Posts