8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Im interested in purchasing a set of 2006-2008 tsx intake and exhaust cams. Im new to cams, so any help would be appreciated.

Current Modifications:
-2008 Civic Si Sedan
-stock k20 engine
-AEM CAI V2
-Skunk2 header
-Fullrace 3" exhaust
-boomba motor mounts
-flashpro

my questions are:

-are tsx cams drop and go? no other engine mods needed? (aside from flashpro of course)
-how much do these cost brand new?
-whats a reputable place/website to you buy these from?
-how much do they cost to install?
-if you have a similar setup as mine, what performance gains did you make? feel free to share any dyno results
-how will these perform with a stage 2 supercharger?
-how will these perform with a skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body?
-how do these cams effect fuel economy?

thanks for your help. :dance:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
damn...expensive. somebody just sold a pair here for $320.

you planning to get them?
Only way I would get them for that price is if I could do the install and tune myself. I've been looking for a set for a long time now. I love the oem factor

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Hi,
Im interested in purchasing a set of 2006-2008 tsx intake and exhaust cams. Im new to cams, so any help would be appreciated.

Current Modifications:
-2008 Civic Si Sedan
-stock k20 engine
-AEM CAI V2
-Skunk2 header
-Fullrace 3" exhaust
-boomba motor mounts
-flashpro

my questions are:

-are tsx cams drop and go? no other engine mods needed? (aside from flashpro of course)
-if you have a similar setup as mine, what performance gains did you make? feel free to share any dyno results

thanks for your help. :dance:

yes these can be used with your stock valvetrain.

about 650 to 720 new

acuracarland.com

350 to 500 depending one shop

i had these cams with all supporting mods minus a exhaust, my car did very well. 240 hp on church dyna pack with a restrictive header and stock exhaust.

not sure

don't spend your money on garbage parts.

fuel economy was great with my car. alot of extra tq down low.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pretty decent price...thanks for sharing. i wonder how much these cost to install. not sure if id like to risk this install on my own

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

yes these can be used with your stock valvetrain.

about 650 to 720 new

acuracarland.com

350 to 500 depending one shop

i had these cams with all supporting mods minus a exhaust, my car did very well. 240 hp on church dyna pack with a restrictive header and stock exhaust.

not sure

don't spend your money on garbage parts.

fuel economy was great with my car. alot of extra tq down low.

Thanks for all your help. 240 on only a CAI and header and these cams? That's pretty sweet.

Yeah, I've heard mixed review on the S2 IM and TB. What do you think about pairing up these cams with a ported RRC manifold and ported tsx throttle body?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
People have been using different oem cams with an s/c setup to minimize blow through. I'll try to find more info on it, but I know this for a fact. Team3x might know more.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
^thats my set up. upgraded oem goodness. well, RRC isn't ported, but RRC, tsx cam, TSX TB.....works great. with the rest of the bolt-ons, I/H/E/Pulleys, my car did 250/180. awesome little DD package.
Those are the magic numbers im hoping to hit! Im at 230/168, re-tuning with a j35 throttle body and tsx cams in two weeks!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^thats my set up. upgraded oem goodness. well, RRC isn't ported, but RRC, tsx cam, TSX TB.....works great. with the rest of the bolt-ons, I/H/E/Pulleys, my car did 250/180. awesome little DD package.
really great numbers. to be honest i thought id have to upgrade the entire valvetrain and get more aggressive cams in order to see the 230hp mark. more importantly your torque numbers are really strong

which brand and pulley size are you using steve?

·
Premium Member
4,038 Posts
TSX cams is a good start for a DD ride. Leaves it open for potential if you stay mild NA or go boost. You should outline your future plans now because going thru a few cams or valvetrains to support your desires will be costly.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well let me clarify that that was on the same church dynapack as K20Z3allmotor. i have the nst pulley set.
Is that dyno pretty accurate, or does it tend to read high? I might be heading down there (SoCal) to have them do an install. I might be able to get tsx cams I and E for $400 shipped. What do you guys think...good deal?

·
Administrator
71,984 Posts
higher numbers since you are dynoing to the hub, not wheels to the ground on a roller. i see them go for 250-350. 400 is probably the highest i would pay and thats just to make sure they are 06-08 and in good condition. i had a deal not end happily when i bought a set initially....came all banged up cause the dude shipped them together. be careful with the shippers packaging job.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TSX cams is a good start for a DD ride. Leaves it open for potential if you stay mild NA or go boost. You should outline your future plans now because going thru a few cams or valvetrains to support your desires will be costly.
That's exactly what I'm thinking about. With any mod, it would be nice to have it grow with the rest of your upgrades.

I don't know. Ive been reading tons of articles on here and hondatuning about the potential with staying NA. Sure its a quick install to achieve great HP/TQ numbers with a blower, but there's something addicting and fun about trying to squeeze out the most from our motor.

I'm sure you've all read this, but thought I'd post it anyways. Great article:

2008 Honda Civic SI Sedan - Steeped In Tradition - Honda Tuning Magazine

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
higher numbers since you are dynoing to the hub, not wheels to the ground on a roller. i see them go for 250-350. 400 is probably the highest i would pay and thats just to make sure they are 06-08 and in good condition. i had a deal not end happily when i bought a set initially....came all banged up cause the dude shipped them together. be careful with the shippers packaging job.
That sucks. It's really annoying that some people are so anal about the quality of parts they order, but could care less when it comes time to sell it to someone else.

Well, it's a gamble I guess. This guy has no iTrader numbers, but seemed honest enough over the phone. Then again, i can get both cams brand new for about $280 more. Hmmmmm

Btw, your avantar is strangely addicting Steve. LOL. I was staring at it for some reason and when he blinked it scared the sh&* out of me LOL

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
somebody made me an offer for $400 for TSX intake and exhaust cams (2006-2008). They've got 40,000 miles on them. Personally I'm looking for $300, but have never bought used cams before

What do you all think?

1 - 20 of 199 Posts