8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

461 - 480 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
is this really worth it? id like to upgrade my brakes as well. Would you recommend this? how much approximately should i be looking at spending for a set-up like this for my SI?

·
Registered
713 Posts
You should only do this upgrade if you are overheating your stock brakes. If not, it wont be worth it for you. This just adds more heat capacity to the system.

·
Administrator
71,986 Posts
99.9% plug and play. buy yourself a set of used tsx calipers, brand new rotors and pads, and you're in the big leagues. all you really need to do is bend the shield back a tad and you're set. no other real mods needed, so yes, pnp.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Can anyone confirm if steelies from tire rack would fit over the TSX brakes in the front? 16x6.5 +42 ?? Looking for winters for the car and dont have the stock calipers anymore

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got some OEM/remanufactured calipers from Rock Auto (Power Stop) and they appear to have been sandblasted. They have a THICK and sticky coating of oil on them though. Should I paint them? Or will they be okay bare? I live in the south, so we don't see much salt or anything.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I got some OEM/remanufactured calipers from Rock Auto (Power Stop) and they appear to have been sandblasted. They have a THICK and sticky coating of oil on them though. Should I paint them? Or will they be okay bare? I live in the south, so we don't see much salt or anything.
These are what both my front calipers look like. They came with a thick wax type stuff on them. I wish I'd had the forsight to paint them before I installed them.

·
Registered
94 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
FWIW, it was a total PITA to clean them in prep for paint. Wire brush, lots of acetone, lots of brake cleaner, etc. I finally did paint them, and they came out great...I just hope the paint sticks.

My suggestion is to NOT buy the "Power Stop" from Rock Auto. If you do, buy the red ones that are already painted, and just repaint them if you don't want red. Or buy Centric brand, I believe they come with an OEM finish, not sandblasted and coated in nasty thick oil.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've finally gotten to the point where I need to replace my front brakes, so I'm opting for the TSX upgrade. Got everything in the mail last week but was waiting on my decals from GRFXP, which just came today:

Looking forward to getting everything bolted on this weekend! :laughing:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I originally just did the rotors and calipers, but had terrible brake feel and couldn't heel/toe. Adding the Accord master cylinder corrected all that. Great brake feel, easy heel/toe, and better thermal capacity at the track.

It was a little awkard to bend the brake lines to fit the MC, but I managed to do it without breaking anything. Definitely recommended to balance the system out if you do the rotors/calipers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did the TSX brakes on my girl's 2010 LX. Brake pedal definitely has more pedal travel, but it's not a deal breaker.

Had to use 15mm spacers (slightly smaller might have worked, but I had the 15mm on hand) to clear the calipers on her stock steelies. Gonna swap out to some SI wheels and ditch the spacers once I can find some locally.

I didn't realize when I saw everyone's size comparison pictures that they were comparing the TSX to the SI brakes...these things are ridiculously bigger than the ****ty LX brakes. Oh well, I guess she can't complain about brake fade when she flies down the hill anymore.

461 - 480 of 492 Posts