8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

441 - 460 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
No, more I was curious if the pad contacts the entire rotor surface or if there is a small area near the rotor hat where the pad does not touch and leaves a small "ring" of untouched surface.

I have done this mod to my R18 since I was cooking the brakes quite often and looking for more heat capacity. Just curious if I did something wrong or if this is normal for this setup. I know the Si and R18 front knuckles are different part numbers and the axles are different also.

I ran into an issue where I didn't understand the installation of the TL-S master cylinder required swapping the Si reservoir and just using the brake cylinder part and thought it required notching the frame. Hence, I did not notch the frame but just bled the brakes really well and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, after 55K on my 2008 si, the stock brakes are starting to "squeak" a little (only noticeable when braking near a wall where the sounds can be isolated). And have been perusing this thread since 2 days ago and thought, fudge it, why not. Especially when it's a direct bolt-on, I love those type of upgrades!

A fairly inexpensive (depends on how you define inexpensive of course) upgrade that has much potential.

Unfortunately, I did not get some of the prices some of you guys got back in 2006-2010 :'( on new calipers from honda, sad day.

my total expense came out to $607

Parts breakdown:

-New Honda 2009 Accord Coupe V6 6MT Front calibers - $215.65 Shipped
-Brembo Blanks Front / Rear Acura TSX - $206.06 Shipped
-Hawks HPS Front / Rear Acura TSX
-StopTech SS Lines Front/ Rear Acura TSX
-$185.30

Considering I'm doing both the fronts and rear, $607 bucks is fairly reasonable in my defense, especially when it contains "performance" parts.

As far as the brake fluid goes, I'm still in a limbo between continue using Honda's Dot Brake Fluid OR use the suggestive ATE Super Blue.... <---if ya got opinions, I'll take em for what it's worth.

My use of my Si does not involve track days (if ever :p), just spirited drives if that info helps any.

EDIT: Not sorry for semi thread revival! Just found it to be EXTREMELY valuable as with everything else on this great forum. :) :D:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wheee::wheee::wheee::wheee:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quick question guys...

Basically the TSX calipers I can get that are from Cardone don't come with the mounting bracket for some reason. Although the Accord V6 09 do come with it. The thing is I noticed that the Accord sedan v6 and coupe v6 have different part numbers.

Can someone confirm if either or will work or if I need to use the coupe or sedan only.

Thanks

·
Registered
‘09 Si sedan
188 Posts
Quick question guys...

Basically the TSX calipers I can get that are from Cardone don't come with the mounting bracket for some reason. Although the Accord V6 09 do come with it. The thing is I noticed that the Accord sedan v6 and coupe v6 have different part numbers.

Can someone confirm if either or will work or if I need to use the coupe or sedan only.

Thanks
I can't comment on the Accord calipers, but I just purchased a set of StopTech red powder coated rebuild TSX front calipers on RockAuto.com for $57/ea. They came with the mounting bracket and even the pad guides. The coating is ok - there are some flaws, but at least they're coated! And, an important point I need to make is that when I went to install the pads, they had to be forced into the pad guides. I concluded that the addition of the powder coat decreased the overall width of the pad seating area, so I had to file off the coating that resides under the pad guide where the ears of the pads ride.

Hope that made sense? . . .

If I remember correctly, the calipers were $121 shipped, which included the core charge. I chose not to send mine back so I can return to stock if need be.

·
Registered
‘09 Si sedan
188 Posts
I am terrible at remembering to take pics during an install, but I'll try and get a thread up for my with info on my purchases. I did all 4 rotors, pads, TSX front calipers, and SS brake lines.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will be doing this set up next month since my stock pads and rotor has 120k on them.

Purchased caliper set with pads from junkyard for $100, excellent condition too.
Centric high carbon rotor for $95.
Hp+ pads for $87.
Ate dot4 $18.

Not bad for $300.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I've got a mini-DIY for you guys running TSX swap front brakes if you are still cooking your brake fluid:

Titanium brake shim heat shields!

Hard Brakes and Giro Disc don't make them in this pad size (but they do for the stock 8th gen Si brakes), and they tell me they won't make this size unless there is a lot of demand.

In the mean time, you can make your own for $20.

Get some Grade 5 titanium (also called 6AL-4V), which has the best thermal properties for keeping pad heat away from the calipers. Go with the 0.032" thick gauge (which is the "premium" thickness that Hard Brakes uses), and a 6" x 12" sheet is all you need (makes 5 shims in case you mess one up).

Got mine from American Metal Xchange (amxinc.com) for $20 and they sent it free shipping in 2 days.

Take your pads, flip them on their backs and trace onto the sheets.

Next, PUT ON SAFETY GLASSES. This is important and I'm not kidding - snipping this brittle stuff will send little bits of sharp metal flying like nothing I've ever worked with!!

OK, now get your new and quality tin snips and start cutting carefully. Its hard but it cuts better than I expected really.

When you've done the best you can with the snips, clamp the shims together and line them up, and then sand them on a belt sander. Have a pan of water handy to dip the shims as you work since this stuff can get HOT.

That's it! Check out the youtube video and other data from Hard Brakes about the benefits of these things. I'll be trying them out in the next month or two.

(By the way, please don't lecture me on the basics of preventing fluid boil - we're way past that. I'm running fresh Motul 660 every track day, DTC-70 pads on Brembo rotors, and custom brake ducts, plus I've been tracking long enough not to be all over my brakes anymore. But my car is a pig at 3,100 lb and still pretty fast with r-comps and 350 WHP so I need everything I can get to keep my brakes cooler. Including a water sprayer, but we'll discuss that later!)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Id also like to mention that the TSX master cylinder does not fit our car. Our reservoir will not line up with any of the TSX masters. I had to use the TL-S master for it to work, dont make the same $70 mistake that I did. After taking the stock master out and putting it back in and bleeding almost a whole pint of fluid through a pressure bleeder, the stock master is probably just fine for these calipers. I will still put the TL-S master in in-case I want to get the brembos in the future, and I would like the pedal higher like it was stock.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Titanium brake shim heat shields!
Very nice!

One thing I've always wondered... do the outboard shims really help much?

Heat that gets to the brake pad backing plate, on the inboard side, would go straight to the piston where it heats up the brake fluid, but on the outboard side, it has a much longer way to go around to the brake fluid. I'd think there's a lot more thermal resistance this way, to which the shim would add relatively less. With two shims at hand, I'd imagine it more beneficial to have them both on the piston side rather than one on each side.

·
Registered
713 Posts
06+ Accord V6 calipers. EX or EX-L V6. Make sure it is the V6. Some of the EXs came with a 4 cyl. You want the one with the 3.5L engine. These are the part numbers. You may have to check collegehillshonda and make sure the year/model comes with those but you can get them super cheap off AHparts.com if you're willing to look. Like $40/caliper. Rebuild kits are $10 on rockauto.

45018-sdp-a01

45019-sdp-a01

Pick up some decent rotors/pads and then have fun installing and bleeding your whole system. The stock MC is fine, you'll just have longer pedal travel due to the larger piston bore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
06+ Accord V6 calipers. EX or EX-L V6. Make sure it is the V6. Some of the EXs came with a 4 cyl. You want the one with the 3.5L engine. These are the part numbers. You may have to check collegehillshonda and make sure the year/model comes with those but you can get them super cheap off AHparts.com if you're willing to look. Like $40/caliper. Rebuild kits are $10 on rockauto.

45018-sdp-a01

45019-sdp-a01

Pick up some decent rotors/pads and then have fun installing and bleeding your whole system. The stock MC is fine, you'll just have longer pedal travel due to the larger piston bore.
Thanks man, I appreciate the response. That doesn't sound too bad if I could get the calipers for $100, the rotors for another $100 (the link I posted above are the right ones, right? Then all I gotta do is find some Si knuckles/hubs, hoping to find some locally at a junkyard, ebay prices are pretty high.

My goal is to complete both these upgrades on my LX coupe this summer as mentioned by Moose in another thread.

Moose said:
Stage 3
TSX front Caliper / Rotor Upgrade on a Si Knuckle
-OE rotors or Quality OE replacement (Brembo etc) if yours are worn
-Good fluid (Motor RBF 600 etc)
-Good Pads - Hawk HP + or similar

Stage 4
Si / EX rear disk swap
-OE rotors or Quality OE replacement (Brembo etc) if yours are worn
-Good fluid (Motor RBF 600 etc)
-Good Pads - HAwk HP + or similar

441 - 460 of 492 Posts