8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Weekend I gave "Live by Si" a hand swapping in a TSX front brake upgrade tha I sold him. Here is a brief overview of what was involved.

It was a balmy winter day here up in Toronto, about 35F (+2C) ...

Put the car up on jack stands and removed the wheels

Un-did the lower caliper bolt (12mm) and flipped the caliper up to pull the pads.
Check out the condition of the piston dust boots - GONE - totally distroyed by the heat generated by a couple of track days

Once the pads were removed, the caliper was flipped back down and the bolt re-installed, then then Caliper bracket bolts (17mm) were un-done allowing the entire caliper to be removed from the knuckle, and set on the ground with the brake line still attached.

The Rotors have to come off next - they are held in place by a couple of pan head philips heads bolts that can be a bugger to remove. An impact driver is the best way to get them out. If you round them over (common) then you need to drill them out. So have drill and good bits available.

The next step is to modify the dust sheilds to clear the MUCH larger calipers. You have to trim the lower part of the opening where the caliper bracket sits ... and then you have to bend back the out ears so that the dust sheild clears the caliper itself.

Now the rotor can go back on .... you can see the difference in thickness here

Prepping the new caliper brackets for install

Bolting the brackets onto the knuckle ..

Prepping the anti rattle pad retainers

lubing the sliders

Bolting the caliper to the bracket

Getting ready to install pads

Lubing the ears of the pad to minimise binding and noise

Almost ready - just need to move the brake line from the old caliper to the new one.

Brake line is swapped - bleeding the air out of the lines and calipers

Giving everything a good clean with "brake cleaner"

Taa daaa ... 06 TSX Rotors / calipers on a 06 Si

Lots of clearance behind OE Si rims

1.5 hours start start to finish + 1/2 to clean up and to bed the brake pads in. I figure I could do it in an hour now that I know how much of the dust sheild to trim, and If we did not have to move the car arround to work on it (small / narrow driveway)

Thread that started this ...
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/ontario/140318-tsx-front-brake-conversion-pics.html

Moose

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that looks great, did you post the review somewhere else or haven't got around to it?
At the bottom of my thread is a link to the owner of the brakes - and his thoughts

Nice job, how do they compare to the Si brakes
-Bigger calipers / Pads
-Thicker rotors with more cooling

= More heat dissapation and more track friendly

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
Moose, could you tell a difference between the TSX, and Si brakes when on the track?:popcorn:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Here is track footage, TSX front brakes with Hawk DTC-60's.

Same feel, no fade.

YouTube - Dunnville May 2nd, 2009
This is really interesting. It would be great if this was a viable option.

Last weekend I hung out with my PCA friend for a 2 day HPDE. I used Satisfied Performance GS3 pads front&back with powerslot cryo rotors. The pads were great (my last track pads almost caught on fire) although I can't get them anymore. There was still a little fad, and I burned through the entire set of front pads in just two days.

The only problem here is the track in the Youtube video is a "weak" track. Hallett is like a mini Nürburgring, and the elevation changes coupled with 1.8 miles of 11 turns, 3 straights all ending down hill absolutely destroys brakes.

Moose, do you think the TSX pads could help in this situation? I usually only do 3-4 DE's a year, but I would really like stronger brakes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is really interesting. It would be great if this was a viable option.

Last weekend I hung out with my PCA friend for a 2 day HPDE. I used Satisfied Performance GS3 pads front&back with powerslot cryo rotors. The pads were great (my last track pads almost caught on fire) although I can't get them anymore. There was still a little fad, and I burned through the entire set of front pads in just two days.

The only problem here is the track in the Youtube video is a "weak" track. Hallett is like a mini Nürburgring, and the elevation changes coupled with 1.8 miles of 11 turns, 3 straights all ending down hill absolutely destroys brakes.

Moose, do you think the TSX pads could help in this situation? I usually only do 3-4 DE's a year, but I would really like stronger brakes.
TSX pads will not fit on the Si.

The TSX Setup uses 3mm thicker rotors (more thermal mass) and Much bigger calipers / pads (More thermal Mass and friction area)

This setup is effective as a street / track setup (with dedicated pads) ... However ANY "street" pad will wear quickly on the track, and any track pad will eat rotors on the street.

Combi pads in a Si fitment do not work very well (Si Brakes are not track rated) ... however the TSX upgrade plus a combi pad "Might" work OK ... because of the additional thermal mass of the TSX setup.

In reality the best way to go is a street setup and a second set of track pads and rotors that you swap at teh track ... it only takes 1/2 hour to do.

Moose

·
Registered
409 Posts
^^ The track shown (Dunnville Autodrome) kills brakes; if you can make your set up work here then you will be fine at almost any track.

You are constantly on the binders and there is no time for them to cool.

This track is one of the reasons that I went to the TSX set up and I assure you it is a great improvement for both the daily commute and track.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Si Pads VS TSX Pads (Hint:TSX pads are the bigger ones) :eyebrows:

Si Calipers VS TSX Calipers (Hint:TSX calipers are the large / shiny ones) :eyebrows:

Si Rotors VS TSX Rotors (Hint:TSX rotors are the thicker / shiny ones) :eyebrows:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Where did you get your TSX calipers from?

Perhaps I'll combine them with cryo power slots and use a dedicated track pad. Then, I'll sell the brand new OEM size power slots I just purchased and buy some brembo blanks to use with hawk HP plus for street.

Interesting info Moose, nice write up! Let me know where you got those calipers. Are they made by Nissin?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where did you get your TSX calipers from?

Perhaps I'll combine them with cryo power slots and use a dedicated track pad. Then, I'll sell the brand new OEM size power slots I just purchased and buy some brembo blanks to use with hawk HP plus for street.

Interesting info Moose, nice write up! Let me know where you got those calipers. Are they made by Nissin?

They are OE Nissin - Rebuilt (Reman) by a 3rd party company

I get them thru a Jobber I know in Quebec (Canada) - Do a Google search for rebuilt Calipers ... there will be 1000's of hits for US on-line suppliers

You can generally get them in a couple of "flavours" - make sure you order the right ones

-Caliper only (no bracket)
-Caliper and bracket (this is what you want)
-Caliper bracket and pads (Loaded)

Many of the on-line places will offer fre shipping on order over $100 - they also often have Brembo Blanks or similar, and PBR Utimate pads a a decent price.

Moose

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hit up Acura and TSX forums. Many pop up there b/c they upgrade to BBKS for all sorts of reasons.. . I got OEM calipers, pads, rotors and bolts for $100 shipped lol! Pads are OEM @ 30% but the rotors look new like they were replaced once durring the pads life.. . I'm just gonna get the rotors turned, bed my new Axis Ultimate pads and that will be my DD setup. New rotors and Cobalt pads for the track.

I'm installing next week with new SS lines. Front and rear.

FYI if you want to order new pads front and rear when you order rebuilt calipers, you can just ask for TSX 04-08 pads front and rear. Si rear calipers use the same pad as the TSX.

1 - 20 of 492 Posts